• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Feed Ramp Questions

JoeyAld

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Tampa, FL
Hello...I picked up my first big rifle recently. I've notice that when i chamber a round into the gun that the feed ramp seems to scratch the cases a bit.. I have put 40 rounds through it and was thinking perhaps i should have the ramp polished. I have searched and search and found no information on this. I am worried about the cases being scratch because i intend on hand loading and I'd prefer the cases not be marked! The Model of the gun is a Remington 700 sps .308 . I appreciate any and all advice. -Joey

Re: Feed Ramp Questions

Just get in there with some scotchbrite or 400 wet&dry wrapped around your little finger and be done with it.
DO blow the crap out of your action with compressed air when done...
Respectfully,
LG

Thanks ...I've done this on a pistol of mine just was hesitant to try this on the rifle...I'm gonna give it a shot. thanks

Just wanted to say that I got in some novice gunsmith time and things seem to have turned out great. I used some wet/dry 600 grit paper and smoothed everything out. The problem seemed to not be the feed ramp so much but the machined sharp edges on either side of the ramp... I appreciate the tip Lumpy Grits- Joey

For pretty brass also make sure your feed lips on the mag box are deburred as well.

Me, I could care less as long as they feed 100%