• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Feedback on Falcon turret design

jthyttin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
Finland
Hi,

I've been talking with Nick at Falcon about their turret design, which is currently like this:

45menace6.jpg

I'd love to see more room for your own custom BDC markings (printed on stickers) etc. which would in no way reduce the usability or anything.
If the current design is Y cross section, I'm thinking about more like T cross section turrets. Here's an example:

AO_BDC_6-24x56.jpg

For me this is a no-brainer, I'll just chuck the turrets in lathe and remove the extra material. But Nick indicated that if they have sufficient feedback from customers, they're willing to reconsider any of their design features. So, if you share my view on turret design, or have any other suggestions for improvement, please email them at:

[email protected]

Re: Feedback on Falcon turret design

Wonder if a new design will make it out in time for their 5.5-22. That'd be sweet and I'd gladly preorder right now.

I say squish the current design into something like this:

USO113.jpg

In the end, it'd be the same amount of material but also give us more room to distinguish between adjustments. They don't have the best knobs, after all.

How about designing them to not feel like shit first?

With the spindle design why not just offer a different knob design that can be offered at a option. Personally I like the surface for making adjustments while wearing gloves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about designing them to not feel like shit first?</div></div>

JRose, you didn't hear this from me... (and I don't take credit for the idea either). Please ask if my explanation is not understandable.

You will compromise the waterproofness (is that a word?) of your scope by doing this, but you can replace the O-rings at the turret base with smaller/narrower ones. This will make the clicks a lot more tactile.

You can try it out by opening the zero screw on top of the turret, and turning the "outer turret" upside down. The "outer turret" will still attach to the "inner turret" but now there won't be any O-ring to make things mushier...

After following the advice, I found out that a bit smaller O-ring was perfect. It was stretched a bit so it was smaller in OD than original O-ring -> clicks were much more tactile but the scope should still be splash-proof.

I suggest you also try out different grease on the O-ring. You can stick your scope in freezer for half an hour or so -> this gives you a feel how it behaves in low temperature.

I took out all the grease, and that helped a bunch. Taking out the o-ring all together was a no go, but I might try swapping it with a smaller one.

If you find a source for an O-ring that is the right size, please let me know.

Separately, I agree with the EREK idea. Make it lower profile and larger diameter. The biggest thing I don't like about these scopes is the turrets feel like some kind of a toy. Obviously the EREK is a bit on the extreme side and I don't expect it to happen, but maybe something on the order of Leupold M2 size?

Ratbert, I had a selection of no-name O-rings and I found a right one by trying. The whole box of maybe 200pcs different sizes was just a few bucks (actually, euros) at local store.

About the turret size, Nick also said that they're considering enlarging the diameter of the turret body, but it's not very likely. If they go for it, they'll be adding more clicks per turn (instead of making clicks further apart).

Again, if you have any feedback please email to Falcon. If they don't get any feedback they have no other way than to believe their product is perfect. I believe that SH members represent the biggest "conscious" market for this product in the world.

On the other hand, please keep your requests modest and include good reasoning. That way the requested features may actually end up in the product someday...

(BTW, I don't like huge protruding turrets either, they're a PITA when the gun is slung etc, but I'm willing to compromise on scope this size (27oz))

My suggestion that i emailed was to consider stating some sort of manufacturer warranty. Based on all the good things i have heard about the optics, they should hold up. The warranty would be just be insurance against the odd lemon that slips through.

What about the attachment of the knob to the spindle? I heard that even the 2nd generation spline design still doesn't allow precise alignment of the knob's tick marks with the baseline. I heard the new '09 scopes will have three set-screws much like the Super Sniper.

Any updates or confirmation of knob attachment method?

(2nd generation - thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">Retoocs</span>)
DSC_82031.JPG

I'd agree with finding a better way to make the clicks more solid/tactile. I understand the O-ring/grease issue but Leupold/NF/and others can do it and not compromise the water resistance of the system it has to be possible. If that O-ring is all that's keeping water out of the scope, it needs a redesign anyway.

Myself I would rather see smaller dia. knobs or at least lower profile, the knobs on the Menace are HUGE I'd like to see a knob that was not much bigger than the dia. where the graduations are, but with a rough knurling and also one that does not stick out so far from the scope body, by at least 1/4" To me he M3 size knobs on the leupolds are about perfect. I like the idea of being able to attach a tape to the knob, but I've never had a scope I've done that to where it lasts for any length of time, in the rain, mud, etc. fine for a target gun, not great in my experience for a hunting/field rig.

The Erek idea is nice as well, larger knob, get more adjustment per revolution, but again the kicker is keeping the clicks solid. Since they would have to make a smaller/more fine toothed system to get more clicks off a bigger dia. knob it would probably be even harder to get solid clicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Erek idea is nice as well, larger knob, get more adjustment per revolution, but again the kicker is keeping the clicks solid. Since they would have to make a smaller/more fine toothed system to get more clicks off a bigger dia. knob it would probably be even harder to get solid clicks.</div></div>

If the knob is larger then the clicks can remain the same size even as more are added. Being larger makes more space, in a larger space you don't have to shrink anything to fit more in.

I will send them an edit asking for something closer to the Leupold M2 knob. I think that would be the most reasonable practical request. EREK's are nice, but asking for one is like asking that the scope body be made of titanium.

Anything that shrinks the knobs down so as not to kick brass back into the action.

When I work the bolt slow and smooth I don't have a problem. If I run it fast the cases bounce off the windage turret back into the ejection port. That's bad ju-ju if I have multiple targets.

I never had that issue, but i'm not running on a .308 like you, and i'm on a 56mm objective mounted up a bit higher... must be just enough clearance, i've not had an '06 come back at me yet and land in the action...

Part of it is the fact that I have the scope mounted as low as the objective will allow and I run the bolt HARD. If I slow down to half speed the problem goes away.

I was going to see if Tim at SAS would throw it on a lathe and reprofile the knobs, but since this scope may be getting dropped down to a .22 trainer soon I am going to hold off.