• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback on new 700s

What is the feedback on the new 700s out? Pros and cons
They seemed to have corrected a lot of the old issues that plagued them... ALL MODELS now have CHF 5R rifled barrels and modern twist rates for heavy bullets. I also think I remembered them saying they were improving tolerances, chambers, and updating tooling and machining processes. All of the factory 700 5R's that I have shoot amazing. So, I have high hopes.

They seemed to have corrected a lot of the old issues that plagued them... ALL MODELS now have CHF 5R rifled barrels and modern twist rates for heavy bullets. I also think I remembered them saying they were improving tolerances, chambers, and updating tooling and machining processes. All of the factory 700 5R's that I have shoot amazing. So, I have high hopes.
What about the triggers? The X-mark pro trigger sucks. It cannot be adjusted.

How’s the Tikka better than a 700 ?
Perhaps someone who owns and shoots both ( new 700 and what`s a roughly equivalent Tikka ) can do an objective , side by side comparison (?). Only way IMHO to get a valid comparison and not just fan boy promotion.

Reactions: Jabberjaw
I heard that the fellows who ran Remington into the ground (Remington Outdoor Company) have bought out tiki from the Berretta Holding Company, and are moving the production to China.

I too am curious about the quality of the new Remington’s. I am not the least bit curious about that brand from Finland. It is well established that some fellows have well established their love for that brand.

Last edited:
Tikka for off the shelf.
ARC or Origin + prefits if you want to build it yourself.

Reactions: FredHammer
Gunbroker anything Pre 1970.

You know you are going to get rid of the barrel and stock anyway.

Get some high nickel chrome content steel in 7 digits or less.

Last edited:
Funny how many RR Remingtons I have seen that shoot. Not too many with any primary extraction, but most all of them I have seen shoot just fine. Hopefully the new ones have some PE. I always found the x-mark and XMP to be adjustable enough to get a decent trigger. I have always replaced them with something better though. "Decent" isn't always what I am looking for.

I have never handled a Tikka. Don't let one fall over on the bolt handle though.

Reactions: LuvDog
Fondled a new 700 .223 (plastic stock, ADL) with a 1:8” barrel the other day and wondered the same.
Guy at the store said they had sold a couple but had no feedback.

What about the triggers? The X-mark pro trigger sucks. It cannot be adjusted.
You can just about always bet money that a 700 trigger will need to be replaced, unless they start coming with TriggerTechs or something like that. Remington is still scared from getting sued by retards for their own negligence, and the courts awarding the morons money.

If you're buying a 700, it's always been a safe bet to factor in $150-250 for an aftermarket trigger. That will probably never change.

Gunbroker anything Pre 1970.

You know you are going to get rid of the barrel and stock anyway.

Get some high nickel chrome content steel in 7 digits or less.
The new barrels are not the same as the previous barrels before the buyout. ALL the new barrels are CHF and 5R rifled with modern twist rates. I bet most will be shooters based on my own personal factory 5R experience with 700's.

Factory 5R Milspec Gen1 .300WM (RR code)... 2nd group ever shot... I can't find pictures of my other rifle's groups at the moment, this is just the most recent one. Bought the gun over 10 years ago, and never shot it until a couple weeks ago. Only mods are re-torquing the action screws to 65 in-lbs. and putting a TriggerTech Primary in it. Other than that, 100% factory.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-29 18:17:50.573659.jpeg

Reactions: lash
I find it interesting to see that out of 15 replies, not one person actually has any experience with the new R700s and we’re getting the same old opinions we always see when it comes to personal preferences.

It would be more interesting to hear from somebody who actually does a somewhat non-biased comparison between old and new.

I find it interesting to see that out of 15 replies, not one person actually has any experience with the new R700s and we’re getting the same old opinions we always see when it comes to personal preferences.

It would be more interesting to hear from somebody who actually does a somewhat non-biased comparison between old and new.
My local stores just don't have any in yet. If they get something in that piques my interest, maybe a Sendero or something with a bull barrel or heavy magnum sporter in 7 PRC, then I will buy it to test.

Been wanting to build a 7 PRC for a while just because it's the only PRC that makes logical sense. The 6.5 PRC burns barrels (bore vs. case capacity ratio is off the charts), and the .300 PRC is entirely too much for Alabama deer hunting. The 7 PRC is the most logical and practical of the bunch. Plus, I'm a 7mm guy, and I own enough .30 calibers as it is.

Reactions: Ronws
@lash you make a good point. I was curious as well.

As far as triggers go, I am frankly surprishe’d, considering how bad the courts favor idiots, that we aren’t all are required to have a trigger of at least ten pounds, that has a factory and government approved seal to keep from tampering and is welded to the receiver. I own a rifle with a trigger that heavy. However, the rifle is a Beaumont Vitalli from the late black powder era.

Considering the event that happened in Montana decades ago. It was a Remington 700. It had a trigger that was reworked by a rank amateur. It was totally neglected, covered with rust as well. The woman, unloaded it, in her mobile home, with the muzzle pointed level at the wall. Behind the wall, in another room was her son. Need I go on?

She sued, and the courts gave her a huge award saying Remington was negligent in their design. Dan Rather, on CBS had a field day criticizing Remington.

So, if you were Remington and you realized this was the type of person who was going to use your product, and then sue you for their negligence and stupidity, would you want to put a decent trigger in your rifle. Not Remington Firearms, especially not Remington Outdoors (the holding company) and not Remington Arms who are just getting a start to try to get back in business.

Reactions: Stevo86 and lash
I agree that the 7PRC is a sweet spot.

I do know that my late model Long Range R700 in .30-06 is a very nice rifle, stock XMP and all. For a hunting rifle, the trigger is just fine and way better than most all off the shelf triggers from earlier models and plenty good for the purpose.

I think that especially here on SH we get so used to finely tuned ultra-light triggers that it’s easy to say others are crap or worthless. In fact it’s a matter of what you practice with enough to be able to use competently.

I'm willing to be corrected, but I do believe that Rem always hammer forged their barrels.
I know the original barrels way back in the day were cut rifled (same as everybody's), then button technology came around and they used that for a long time, and not sure when the button ended, I just know the new ones are CHF, because they talked about it in articles. 🤷🏼

Reactions: lash and Baron23
@lash you make a good point. I was curious as well.

As far as triggers go, I am frankly surprishe’d, considering how bad the courts favor idiots, that we aren’t all are required to have a trigger of at least ten pounds, that has a factory and government approved seal to keep from tampering and is welded to the receiver. I own a rifle with a trigger that heavy. However, the rifle is a Beaumont Vitalli from the late black powder era.

Considering the event that happened in Montana decades ago. It was a Remington 700. It had a trigger that was reworked by a rank amateur. It was totally neglected, covered with rust as well. The woman, unloaded it, in her mobile home, with the muzzle pointed level at the wall. Behind the wall, in another room was her son. Need I go on?

She sued, and the courts gave her a huge award saying Remington was negligent in their design. Dan Rather, on CBS had a field day criticizing Remington.

So, if you were Remington and you realized this was the type of person who was going to use your product, and then sue you for their negligence and stupidity, would you want to put a decent trigger in your rifle. Not Remington Firearms, especially not Remington Outdoors (the holding company) and not Remington Arms who are just getting a start to try to get back in business.
Let's not forget about the retards that left a 700 cocked and loaded with live ammo on a bench facing downrange, and then they went walking around in front of the gun, and the shade-tree trigger job caused the trigger to fail and the gun fired, and killed or hurt one of the people. They also sued Remington for a huge sum of money, for their own negligence, and even admitted it was negligent AFTER they had the money. 😡

the 5Rs were all CHF so that's going back what 15 years?
Well, all the 5R Milspec (the first 5R's they used in factory production models) were CHF, but I'm pretty sure all their standard 6-groove barrels were button-rifled. I could be wrong though. Not sure if/when they went from button to CHF for all production barrels.

I'm making payments on an ADL 7mm Rem Mag at my shop. I checked the bolt and trigger as someone on another forum complained about his. The trigger wasn't as bad as I've heard some say. It broke clean and crisp at maybe 4.5-5 lbs. Not great, not awful. The bolt worked smoothly with no binding. I have 180 gr ELDM's in stock but am short on magnum primers and appropriate powder. I may load with some IMR 4350 and standard large rifle primers since the charge isn't much more than a 30-06 charge. I'll report my findings once I test out the rifle.

Reactions: FuhQ
How can you tell the new ones? Just looked at a 6.5 manbun with a 5R barrel that had a serial number starting with RAR. Bolt ran smooth, and like stated above, trigger was 4-5lbs in it. Stock was one of the typical Hogue ones you are used to seeing and the barrel is threaded 5/8x24 from the factory. New one? New old stock? Shop has had it about a month or so.

I'd like to handle one also, but for me I'm pretty much done with factory rifles so I think farther ahead to buy a cheaper custom action and built it the way you want. I do have a couple tikka action builds and I'm happy with them but looking back I wish I'd have started with custom actions.

I'd like to handle one also, but for me I'm pretty much done with factory rifles so I think farther ahead to buy a cheaper custom action and built it the way you want. I do have a couple tikka action builds and I'm happy with them but looking back I wish I'd have started with custom actions.
Being somewhat biased, check out the new ARC CDG action for $899.

I do like my custom actions, but frankly, sometimes I have a simple need that doesn’t require a $3-5K rifle to fulfill. Thus, in addition to three custom rifles and a pending custom ELR build, I do have Remington, Savage, and Tikka factory rifles. Each fills a niche very well.

I’m always all for American manufacturing and support progress in that arena.

How can you tell the new ones? Just looked at a 6.5 manbun with a 5R barrel that had a serial number starting with RAR. Bolt ran smooth, and like stated above, trigger was 4-5lbs in it. Stock was one of the typical Hogue ones you are used to seeing and the barrel is threaded 5/8x24 from the factory. New one? New old stock? Shop has had it about a month or so.
As far as I know the RAR serial number is the new ones. I got the ADL because I planned to put it in a chassis or different stock. I have a used KRG on the way.

Have you shot a Remington 700 Long Range Rifle in any caliber?
I’ve owned a SPS 300 WM, SPS Tactical AACSD in 308 and XCR Long Range Tactical in 300 WM in the past several years. Probably not the newest models as I gave up on factory 700’s. I also own stiller R700 platforms and had a GA Precision built off a R700 action

AACSD was a decently smooth bolt compared to the others. Was a G prefix if that means anything. I was most impressed with that one. Shot decent. The XCR shot the worst of the bunch. 32 reloads/factory round tests later and I had two groups that held just under 1 moa.

Also have a Tikka Alpine Veil in 300 WM and Tikka CTR in 308. Both Tikka outshot the 3 factory R700’s accuracy wise. The factory triggers on the tikkas hands down beat all factory R700 triggers I’ve had in the 3 R700’s, the tuned 700 trigger in the GAP and the trigger in my Bergara.

The magazine in the Tikka Alpine is a cheap plastic mag but works good. The CTR 10 round double stack is the best of the bunch. Followed by my AW mags I run in my AI.

I love that the factory base is pinned on the Tikka’s. The shorter bolt throw is my preference and super smooth. The bolt on both Tikka are super smooth as well

In my opinion the Tikka holds a better track record in recent years and has everything I prefer like the short bolt throw. A Tikka just feels like your getting more for your money compared to the R700’s I’ve owned. My savages for me have been better in the accuracy department

For what’s in my cabinet or the many I’ve owned in the past several years I put them in this order based on accuracy, features and overall performance. My only ejection issues were with multiple savages and a R700. The Tikka and AI haven’t had any issues to speak of

1) AI
2) Tikka CTR
3) Savage/R700/Ruger American

I’ve owned a SPS 300 WM, SPS Tactical AACSD in 308 and XCR Long Range Tactical in 300 WM in the past several years. Probably not the newest models as I gave up on factory 700’s. I also own stiller R700 platforms and had a GA Precision built off a R700 action

AACSD was a decently smooth bolt compared to the others. Was a G prefix if that means anything. I was most impressed with that one. Shot decent. The XCR shot the worst of the bunch. 32 reloads/factory round tests later and I had two groups that held just under 1 moa.

Also have a Tikka Alpine Veil in 300 WM and Tikka CTR in 308. Both Tikka outshot the 3 factory R700’s accuracy wise. The factory triggers on the tikkas hands down beat all factory R700 triggers I’ve had in the 3 R700’s, the tuned 700 trigger in the GAP and the trigger in my Bergara.

The magazine in the Tikka Alpine is a cheap plastic mag but works good. The CTR 10 round double stack is the best of the bunch. Followed by my AW mags I run in my AI.

I love that the factory base is pinned on the Tikka’s. The shorter bolt throw is my preference and super smooth. The bolt on both Tikka are super smooth as well

In my opinion the Tikka holds a better track record in recent years and has everything I prefer like the short bolt throw. A Tikka just feels like your getting more for your money compared to the R700’s I’ve owned. My savages for me have been better in the accuracy department

For what’s in my cabinet or the many I’ve owned in the past several years I put them in this order based on accuracy, features and overall performance. My only ejection issues were with multiple savages and a R700. The Tikka and AI haven’t had any issues to speak of

1) AI
2) Tikka CTR
Interesting your comment on the CTR magazines. I have a Tikka TSR-1 that I shot in PRS for a season while awaiting a new barrel. The trigger and bolt are nice as stock and I find no fault with them, but the CTR mags are much thinner metal than the AW mags I’ve used for twelve years and shortly gave me real feeding issues with the thin feed lips bending during a competition or five. For a rifle that won’t see any use outside of the range bench, I’m sure they are fine, but for hard use I cannot recommend them.

Your accuracy issues are also an anomaly in my experience. But hey, I guess that’s why there are different rifles and actions to fit different needs and opinions.

My Long Range .30-06 R700 is a tack driver that I wouldn’t trade to you for your best Tikka.

Oh also, don’t get the CTR mags wet and then travel home with them. They rust quickly, or at least mine did.

• Love
Reactions: Tom L and xsn10s
Interesting your comment on the CTR magazines. I have a Tikka TSR-1 that I shot in PRS for a season while awaiting a new barrel. The trigger and bolt are nice as stock and I find no fault with them, but the CTR mags are much thinner metal than the AW mags I’ve used for twelve years and shortly gave me real feeding issues with the thin feed lips bending during a competition or five. For a rifle that won’t see any use outside of the range bench, I’m sure they are fine, but for hard use I cannot recommend them.

Your accuracy issues are also an anomaly in my experience. But hey, I guess that’s why there are different rifles and actions to fit different needs and opinions.

My Long Range .30-06 R700 is a tack driver that I wouldn’t trade to you for your best Tikka.

Oh also, don’t get the CTR mags wet and then travel home with them. They rust quickly, or at least mine did.
We all have our experiences and preferences. If a R700 makes a person happy I’m sure it will work great for them

I prefer my AI the most. Followed by my tikkas. Then the others listed. I’m sure others will have a preference based on experiences and what they intend to do with the rifle.

When it comes to rust my first SPS and my buddies 870 were no slouch to developing it either

If the OP wants a R700 then buy it. I owned R700, Savage, Tikka, FN SPR, Howa, Bergara, Ruger, AI, Armalite and Serbu bolt guns before deciding my preference. Then there’s the custom or build your own routes to consider obviously

Last edited:
My local stores just don't have any in yet. If they get something in that piques my interest, maybe a Sendero or something with a bull barrel or heavy magnum sporter in 7 PRC, then I will buy it to test.

Been wanting to build a 7 PRC for a while just because it's the only PRC that makes logical sense. The 6.5 PRC burns barrels (bore vs. case capacity ratio is off the charts), and the .300 PRC is entirely too much for Alabama deer hunting. The 7 PRC is the most logical and practical of the bunch. Plus, I'm a 7mm guy, and I own enough .30 calibers as it is.
The 6.5 PRC, 7PRC, and the 300 PRC are virtually identical when compared by bore vs case capacity. I’m figuring this was intentional. The 7 PRC is slightly more overbore than the other two but not enough to matter.

6.5 prc - 1255
7prc - 1295
300 prc - 1263

I figured this case volume to bore ratio searching for H20 capacities on the web so its only as accurate as the numbers I found.

I'm making payments on an ADL 7mm Rem Mag at my shop. I checked the bolt and trigger as someone on another forum complained about his. The trigger wasn't as bad as I've heard some say. It broke clean and crisp at maybe 4.5-5 lbs. Not great, not awful. The bolt worked smoothly with no binding. I have 180 gr ELDM's in stock but am short on magnum primers and appropriate powder. I may load with some IMR 4350 and standard large rifle primers since the charge isn't much more than a 30-06 charge. I'll report my findings once I test out the rifle.
7mmRM is an awesome cartridge. Been shooting/hunting with one for over 20 years. You won’t regret it. 👍🏼

Reactions: xsn10s
If it’s a standard model rifle (ADL, BDL, etc…) with a 5R barrel and a modern twist rate, that’s a new one.

I've had a Sako, Brownings, Mossbergs, Winchester, FN Belgium Mausers, and Remington's. Some were or are works of art, others are just tools. I've shot Tikkas and they are nice rifles. I'm kinda biased against them because they were known as the "economy" division of Sako. In reality Sako and Tikka merged and they make fine rifles. I was looking into getting a Tikka when I saw RemArms new claims on their manufacturing. It came down to budget when I chose Remington. I have action wrenches for Remington s so I can pull barrels off if needed. And the magbox is generous from the factory so I won't have to worry about that. There's pros and cons to any system. We'll see how my 700 will work once I get it.

Reactions: FuhQ and lash

I like that it’s “interesting” and not “surprising”. I guess since 2012 you’re likely surprised by nothing on here. 🤣

Reactions: lash
I like that it’s “interesting” and not “surprising”. I guess since 2012 you’re likely surprised by nothing on here. 🤣
Pretty much exactly that.
I was actually on here starting in 2009, but when things moved either to or from Scout (can’t remember which), I couldn’t transfer for some reason and started over.

1) AI
2) Tikka CTR

That's what I thought.

That's the problem today. There are no honest gun reviews. And online is only slightly better. We all get someone else's opinion of another opinion.

Would pay good money for honest reviews (Frank does a good job, but like many of us, sits up in the custom rifle range). I think we could also use some quality budget lines to piut some downward pressure on prices.

Reactions: lash and Tom L
I heard that the fellows who ran Remington into the ground (Remington Outdoor Company) have bought out tiki from the Berretta Holding Company, and are moving the production to China.
I’d expect that to be just Bullsh1t to be honest

a recent news article. No NATO country would allow their firearms to be manufactured in the PRC.

On 27 March 2023, the Finnish and Swedish Defence Forces signed a framework agreement for a joint range of firearms with Sako Ltd at the Sako factory in Riihimäki.

Reactions: stanley_white
We disassemble many to be rebarreled in other calibers and the action machining is nice with good extraction . The customers that bought the 223 with eight twist from us say they shoot well but have to invest in a better trigger and stock at some point.

Reactions: Johnerz and lash
The Model 700 Alpha 1 uses a Timney trigger.
The other models are not specified.

I purchased NIB last fall old Rem production, 223 Model 7 Coyote and Model 700 5R Tactical.
Scopes mounted, the 700 seemed to shift zero last time shooting but have not been back to ascertain the problem. The ‘Coyote’ shoots as good as I can shoot with
IMG_5589.jpeg
IMG_5590.jpeg
IMG_5204.jpeg
IMG_5190.jpeg
223 Norma Match.

Last edited: