• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback wanted on 6.5 Creedoor

Shabotis

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
NORCAL
I am looking for feedback from anyone who has experience shooting the 6.5 creedmoor cartridge.
How is its preformance
Any inherent problems or limitations

Thanks

Re: Feedback wanted on 6.5 Creedoor

Had a bolt rifle built 4 years ago and still shooting it. It has been a great performer and I am not sure you could find a better 6.5 caliber round out there. I get almost 2900 from 142 SMK and just over 3000 FPS from Berger 130. Powder choices range from H4350 to RL17. Hornady brass is good brass. I have gotten as high as 10 reloads on it. Only down side is that Hornady is the sole supplier of brass. Also, factory ammo is loaded with Amax and has also been shot well in my gun.
I also have a now out of the catalog TC Icon PH in 6.5CM. It is shooting very well too. I don't think you would be going wrong with a rifle of this caliber.

First of all, welcome to the Hide!!

There is a TON of information on here about the 6.5cm...search baby, search!

I have a 6.5cm and love it!
-little recoil
-good ballistics
-cheap factory ammo
...fun to shoot

best of luck.

I use a 6.5 creedmoor in my semi art and I just got a bolt gun made in the same caliber it's a great caliber and I love it!

Excellent cartridge. Been shooting it for 5 years now and the factory ammo is very accurate. It's all I used in competition and it never let me down.

As mentioned there is ALOT of info on this site for you to read. The site search engine isn't the best but the Snipers Hide Google search engine is very good. Just go here and type in 6.5 Creedmoor and you will get alot of reading.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978%3Aqcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

You guys are awesome, alot of great input reaaly quick.
Glad to be on the forum

IMHO, the Hornady Match ammo, particularly the 140 Amax load, is as good and consistent as the Federal GMM in 308. I know that is saying a lot but I have not found a bad box yet.

6.5 Creedmoor has became my favorite all-around caliber. Great in a bolt-gun as well as as semiauto. Excellent loaded ammo. Better ballistics and less wind drift than a 308win. Can be resized from 308 brass. Hornandy brass is reasonably priced and consistent.

Plus, Nosler is supposed to be coming out with 6.5cm brass and loaded ammo later this year.

I like the 6.5 Creedmoor and have found it to almost replicate the .300 WM. It shoots better than any of my long range or Across-the-Course .308's. I was debating the .260 vs the 6.5 CM. A lot of people are complaining about the lack of any brass other than Hornady. I am making my brass from Lake City Match .308 and it is working out very well. It is a little labor intensive as with military brass the necks tend to be thicker. However I ream after sizing and neck turn after completion to cut down any high spots. From this i have centralized and uniform necks. Last step is to run into a Redding bushing die (neck only) to set the bullet tension I want and ready to load.

With the .260 it is a simple step to FL size .308 brass in the .260 die and then check necks on a mike, turn as necessary, and load. sometimes I neck size to get the tension I need. Much simpler than making 6.5CM from .308

I like the LC M brass as it does not have the caliber stamped on the head. that way I run less risk of mixing up the brass ( I have to really look at them well if mixed in order to sort them)

I dont know why everyone complains about the brass, its cheap and works really well. Most people are getting 5 or sometimes more reloads out of it.

First, anything in 6.5 is going to give you a host of good, high BC, long range bullets to shoot as far as you want. The 6.5 Creedmoor is especially useful in that you don't have such a cartridge overall length problem in a Remington 700. All the other short actions handle a .260 Rem with long bullets seated out slightly. My Savage for instance can handle a cartridge 3.020".

As Zak Smith noted, there isn't enough difference between the 6.5Cr, the .260 Rem, or 6.5x47Sw to change to another if you already have one. Get the one you can get the components for the easiest. There are enough custom builders and even good off the shelf rifles to get you going from that perspective.

I shot my 6.5CM out to 1440yds here in Colorado. It was a lob, but it stayed pretty consistent after I got the wind figured out. Overall my favorite round to shoot - low recoil, high BC, cheap high quality factory loads . . . it's hard to beat for overall value and performance. Good luck!

Everything that's good ballistically about the 260 comes with this, Nosler is making brass for it now that is supposed to be the same quality (and price) as Lapua brass.

Mine gets over 2800fps from a <23" barrel with the 140 and 2900fps from the 130 class. My first barrel went in 4600rd, I'm 2700 into the second barrel now and it's not showing any signs of quitting early.

The two deer I got with a firearm in the last 2 years came with this rifle and it was a 1 shot kill at 350+ each time.

I anneal every 5 firings and I have been running the same 350 pieces of brass that I started with over 7000rds ago. The only prep work that I do is that every other anneal cycle I check the brass length and trim/debur.

It is the most repeatable rifle that I own up to 1000yd, after that the bigger 7 WSM sized wildcat takes over.

Last edited:
6s and 6.5s are dominating the competition circuit for good reason. The projectiles are high BC, recoil is low, trajectory is flat, velocity is higher, and 6.5s are very efficient regardless of chamber. That said, I would check the shelves at local shops and see what they have available. If they carry factory CM, then buy the CM. If they carry 260, buy 260. If they don't carry any of em, then pick from a hat. I shoot a 260 but I would feel equally confident shooting a CM, x47, etc.

Since the performance is so similar, the decision comes down to components and ammunition for most guys. I can find 260 brass locally as well as 243 which is one operation to neck up (and saves a lot of cost) so it was an easy choice. I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers, chances are if you saw 3 different 6.5s side by side you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.