• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeding 224V into a 700?

ShooterwithNoName

Regular Guy
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
Central WV
So, I've been wallowing around the idea of a 224V bolt gun. Reason being, I already have 700 in 223 that I had intended to be a trainer/cheap accurate shooter. The rifle is all stock SPS in 223. It's been collecting dust for a while now. I was going to just sell it, but I'm thinking of just building it into a 224V instead.

I'm looking for input on feeding this possible build. I've been going back and forth on whether to go with something like the PTG bottom metal:

I like the idea of the PTG set up. Allows me to share mags between my gas gun in 224V. Plus it's pretty economical, which is another plus. But going this route, will force me to use a conventional stock, McMillan, Grayboe, something along those lines.

My second option, just run a KRG Bravo and AICS mags. So my big question is: Are the AICS mags going to be better for feeding the 224V than AR mags in 700? Im hoping to get some input from those that have ran the 224V from either in a 700 action.

Thought I would ask before pulling the trigger on either set up. Just wondering if anyone has encountered any issues with either using 224V? Im going to just order a PTG one piece bolt. They offer the Sako and Mini-M16 extractor options. I'm leaning toward the Mini-M16, any advantages going with the Sako over it?

Thanks in advance...

Btw, will the AR mags limit my OAL vs. AICS mags?

Last edited:
I have a .224 Valkyrie, I use the MDT mags. They are modified.223 mags. I have more than enough COAL haven’t had any issues with them.

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
Yes, aics mags will allow you to run much longer than ar mags will. Aics pattern mdt and accurate mags allow 2.55+, ar mags limit you to 2.26 usually. Def go for the bravo with aics.

Go for mini16 over the sako extractor. If you blow a case the mini16 is pinned in place, the sako can just come flying out at you way easier. Remember, you’ll want a gunsmith to fit the new bolt to the action, factor in those charges.

That's the direction I was leaning, appreciate the info.

I've got a good Smith here locally who has built tons of 700s. I would really like to have a side bolt released installed. Once I get the bolt in hand I may send it to LRI to have it built and have them install their side bolt release.

I vote the Bravo/LRI route. I used the MDT mags without issue. Magpul AICS pattern mags work but not 100% reliable. Also have an Accurate Mag with Primal Rights kit that works ok.

So, I've been wallowing around the idea of a 224V bolt gun. Reason being, I already have 700 in 223 that I had intended to be a trainer/cheap accurate shooter. The rifle is all stock SPS in 223. It's been collecting dust for a while now. I was going to just sell it, but I'm thinking of just building it into a 224V instead.

I'm looking for input on feeding this possible build. I've been going back and forth on whether to go with something like the PTG bottom metal:

I like the idea of the PTG set up. Allows me to share mags between my gas gun in 224V. Plus it's pretty economical, which is another plus. But going this route, will force me to use a conventional stock, McMillan, Grayboe, something along those lines.

My second option, just run a KRG Bravo and AICS mags. So my big question is: Are the AICS mags going to be better for feeding the 224V than AR mags in 700? Im hoping to get some input from those that have ran the 224V from either in a 700 action.

Thought I would ask before pulling the trigger on either set up. Just wondering if anyone has encountered any issues with either using 224V? Im going to just order a PTG one piece bolt. They offer the Sako and Mini-M16 extractor options. I'm leaning toward the Mini-M16, any advantages going with the Sako over it?

Thanks in advance...

Btw, will the AR mags limit my OAL vs. AICS mags?

Unless it is in-stock I wouldn’t order anyhting from PTG.....even if it’s in stock I still wouldn’t. Their CS is pretty bad and once the order is placed good luck getting an idea of when it will ship. Their products have been pretty iffy for along time as far as quality goes. Don’t just take my word for it....google and search here.

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
Unless it is in-stock I wouldn’t order anyhting from PTG.....even if it’s in stock I still wouldn’t. Their CS is pretty bad and once the order is placed good luck getting an idea of when it will ship. Their products have been pretty iffy for along time as far as quality goes. Don’t just take my word for it....google and search here.

I hear ya, I have heard quite a lot of bad experiences on the CS and wait time.

Would i be better off just having my 223 bolt milled out from .378 to .422? I dont want to have to deal with a nightmare from PTG. If I go that route, should I upgrade the extractor along with getting the bolt face opened?

@PAYDIRT, Thanks for the lead on the Criterion, I'll check it out...

Would i be better off just having my 223 bolt milled out from .378 to .422? I dont want to have to deal with a nightmare from PTG. If I go that route, should I upgrade the extractor along with getting the bolt face opened?

Not really sure what the best idea would be for the bolt but I’m sure someone like Chad at LRI would know. He’s a mastermind at that stuff and if he can’t do it, no can.

223 with a 1-7 twist and some heavys might do what your wanting? Especially with 1000 pieces of ready to load brass for $100. My sps tac with a factory 20" 1-9 shoots the 73 eld's very good out to 600 or so.

Reactions: Bender
Same rifle I have, got it for $350 new, couldnt pass it up. I've never ran 73ELD before, I've only shot 75BTHP TAP, 77SMK, 69gr Barnes match burners were ok. The factory ammo I've shot through it has been, ok. I purchased it with the intention of a cheap trainer. But my service rifle seems to eat up all my heavy 223 anymore. I love my gas guns.

I guess it will be getting a remodel then. Gonna figure out the barrel first. I'm seriously considering the Criterion Remage barrel, after checking them out they look like a great option and I can get it in 1:6.5 twist, the price is right in my ballpark. I've been eyeing the KRG Bravo since they came out. Another component whose price is reasonable imo.

Anyone tried out the Criterion 224V remage barrel? Ill have to write them an email to see what reamer spec they use on their 224V barrels...

.223 AI will do 98% of what a .224V will. And you have all the brass already.

But I too lust after an LRI .224V build. Someday.....

Same rifle I have, got it for $350 new, couldnt pass it up. I've never ran 73ELD before, I've only shot 75BTHP TAP, 77SMK, 69gr Barnes match burners were ok. The factory ammo I've shot through it has been, ok. I purchased it with the intention of a cheap trainer. But my service rifle seems to eat up all my heavy 223 anymore. I love my gas guns.

I guess it will be getting a remodel then. Gonna figure out the barrel first. I'm seriously considering the Criterion Remage barrel, after checking them out they look like a great option and I can get it in 1:6.5 twist, the price is right in my ballpark. I've been eyeing the KRG Bravo since they came out. Another component whose price is reasonable imo.

Anyone tried out the Criterion 224V remage barrel? Ill have to write them an email to see what reamer spec they use on their 224V barrels...
I’ve got one.....shoots great! Go to the .224 Valkyrie reloading page here on the hide.

Thanks for all the help guys...

So I've been thinking on this build, I think I'm gonna leave the old SPS Tac be. I figure, by the time I get it reworked, blueprinted, bolt done and how I want it, I'm gonna be in more than I would be for a custom action.

I didnt realize that there are some pretty affordable actions out there that would be way better than a reworked 700. I was of the impression that I would be in for well over a grand just to get a decent custom action the way I want it.

I came across the Big Horn Origin, what an awesome action for the money. It already has everything I want and then some, plus I have been talking with them and they seem to have great communication and I'm going to get one of those instead in 6.8 bolt head.

This will be my first custom action, ever. I've always reworked factory actions, but I cant do one for that price and have the same quality and options. I am going with a Bravo stock. Just gotta decide on a barrel.

Reactions: lash
Thanks for all the help guys...

So I've been thinking on this build, I think I'm gonna leave the old SPS Tac be. I figure, by the time I get it reworked, blueprinted, bolt done and how I want it, I'm gonna be in more than I would be for a custom action.

I didnt realize that there are some pretty affordable actions out there that would be way better than a reworked 700. I was of the impression that I would be in for well over a grand just to get a decent custom action the way I want it.

I came across the Big Horn Origin, what an awesome action for the money. It already has everything I want and then some, plus I have been talking with them and they seem to have great communication and I'm going to get one of those instead in 6.8 bolt head.

This will be my first custom action, ever. I've always reworked factory actions, but I cant do one for that price and have the same quality and options. I am going with a Bravo stock. Just gotta decide on a barrel.
The Origin is a great choice. I'd contact Keystone Accuracy for a barrel. He has a really good price for his Kreigers and a quick turnaround.

And...you’re off!
Good choices, imo. It sounds like you will have a fun rifle when you get done.