• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Feeding dogs wild game

xdpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
South Texas
We've got two German shepherd guard dogs. I hunt and usually harvest a couple of deer for the family, we don't buy hamburger. I usually kill a couple of wild hogs a year and because they're a nuisance in this part of the state and people just dump them, I was wondering about feeding raw pork to my dogs. The benefits of raw meat are very well documented and since wild wolves and coyotes are eating it, I'm assuming our domestic dogs can as well? I think it would be a good idea to have a once monthly worming regiment put into place for our dogs if we go ahead with this. Does anyone have any experience feeding raw, wild pork to their dogs?

I feed my dogs wild venison and have never had an issue, I don't see why pork would be any different. How about giving your veterinarian a call tomorrow for an expert opinion?

I also feed my dog venison, both raw and cooked, without any issues. I do not give her any bones whatsoever. Pork though....I would cook it probably, or boil it. If its not safe for humans to eat raw, I would think it would be risky for dogs too. The last thing I would want would be my best friend to get sick with worms.

Do some research on it.

But my wife (vet Tech) said that a dog can eat raw meat, deer/pork etc. But you need to incorporated it into their dry food or what ever they're eating now and ween them off of dry food into raw meat. You can't make it a sudden staple of their diet. You "can" get a dog very sick by just giving them a diet of only meat without a transition. You'll also need to add fruits and veg to their diet also, or a vitamine. They need more then just meat.

Call your vet.

xdeano

I feed my german shepherd raw. I have never had any problems from feeding her feral hogs or any other wild meat. I always save trimmings from butchering wild game as well as some organ meat. It's healthy protein and also a nice break for your wallet since you will buy less from the store or butcher. Never had a problem with worms or any other health problems. I have also never had a problem feeding them uncooked bones. Bones (chicken) only cause a problem once they are cooked since they are prone to splintering only after the cooking process.

Yep. We were gonna call the get tomorrow, just thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience. I see lots of pet lovers on here. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Keep it to muscle meat or heart/liver and stay away from the other organs and you'll be fine on the worms. It's still good to give your dog dewormer on occation just to keep them out.

If you don't transition it'll give the dog the shits, because it's to rich. I've got a buddy that feeds his dogs beaver meat, it's high in fat and is great on the dogs coats. but you have to be consistent.

xdeano

Venison is fine but, in my opinion, keep the raw pork away from your dogs. The bacteria in pork is far more potentially problematic to humans and dogs than the bacteria in venison. This is what my vet told me. I see no reason why I wouldn't listen. Take care,

Adam

I would agree with boiling wild pork. You could boil up a bunch of it and freeze it in serving sizes for the dogs. Then just thaw as needed.

I feed my young Czech imported german shepherd pup a combination of orijen and
http://www.blueridgebeef.com/index-home.html

Canines digest raw fine

A1BB3AEC-3455-40A9-833E-77D35B629A18-7189-000003941F5E5CD3_zps57f50bbc.jpg

254043A8-EC38-4153-8893-4EB7065B017F-2552-0000012440DDC5F6_zps03125f12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We had several Siberians and Malamutes over the years and if a deer got hit within 1/2 mile of the Ranch...they would drag it home and devour it. This was a dozen to 25 years back before all the Californians moved in.

Not one of then didn't hit 14 to 15 yrs old. We wormed them twice a year and they also got quality dry food with a bit of Alpo normally. They would eat mice, voles and even the occasional muskrat they would dig out of the river banks. None of it seemed to disagree. Other than the FARTS from raw deer meat! WOW! You'd think all three of them shit in the house at once...Nope...simply noxious gas from the raw meat.

I'd certainly ask a Vet though about the PORK.

Yeah, we've fed them raw venison in the past. No ill effects. It was just the pork that had me worried. I've gotten some good advice and will definitely. Check with the vet. I also like the idea of boiling up a huge batch and freezing it. We've got a big kettle and enjoy cooking on the fire anyhow.

Wild hogs do not get their shots and checkups regularly, of course. As a result, they can have trichanosis, which is why it is unsafe to eat them if the meat hasn't been cooked to at least 140 F. Trich is a worm, and temperature is the only thing that kills it. Its eggs are transmitted by eating the flesh of an infected animal, and then it migrates to the muscle tissue from the gut. Deer, elk, cows etc. don't eat meat, so it's not an issue for them, but hogs will eat anything. Trich has been eradicated from the domestic pork supply for years, but it can be found in wild hogs. There really isn't any noticeable symptom that you can see as far as the animal's condition, so you can't tell without a microscopic inspection. I feed my dog raw beef, chicken, and deer with no problem, but I definitely cook wild pork before giving it to her. *You also want to be really meticulous about cleaning up any time you handle raw wild pork.

Put a call in to the vet, he doesn't advise feeding any raw meat to dogs. Thanks for the info and advice.

Get a new vet. Vets make a lot of money off selling dog food, and then treating sick dogs. Dogs have evolved over millions of years to eat meat and chew bones. They have only been eating commercial kibble food for the last fifty years. Before that, obesity, heart disease, tooth and gum disease were very uncommon in dogs. Think about low carb and paleo type diets for humans. Kinda the same thing. I have seen with my dogs that the more meat and bone they get, they healthier they are, the less they poop, and the less I have to spend money at the vet. Chewing real bones cleans teeth and keeps bad breath away. Longer life spans are widely reported by owners feeding raw meats. Dog food is convenient and cheap, but don't kid yourself, it's not really that good for your dog.

I gave my pup some extra slices of elk gristle last night and he gulped it down and begged for more! It was just a treat though, we are keeping him on dry food and eating most the elk ourselves!

Dogs certainly can eat raw meat, though as noted above don't just abruptly switch them from their current food to an all raw diet. My dogs eat a varied combination of chicken, beef, turkey, eggs, salmon, kale, sweet potatoes, spinach, quinoa, rice, carrots, bell peppers, peas, and whatever else we have lying around. I don't know much about wild pork, so to be on the safe side regarding parasites I might cook it.

i fed my JAck Russell Terrier some dall sheep meat when we lived in alaska. He has never been the same. turned him into a wearwolf