• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeding issues Tikka 223 in J allen chassis

AB70

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2017
Hi,

I have a Tikka CTR 223 in a J allen chassis. Problem is I can't seem to get it to feed right.
I've tried using AICS MDT mags, but they don't fit the magwell. I've grinded of some of the sides to get it to fit but even now it is hard to get the magazine in and I can't can't get it in completely.
So now I'm using Accurate Mags. These fit perfectly in the magwell but they do not seem to feed very well. If I'm lucky I can get 1-2 out of 5 to cycle correctly but most of the time the round nosedives into the feeding ramp and it's jammed. Sometimes the nose even gets pushed down into the magazine.
Does anyone got any suggestions? I feel the round is too short and it starts to dive down before it reaches the feeding ramp well enough. The 223 round doesn't look to be compatible with the modified AICS mags very much.

Kind regards,

AB

Hi, thx for the video.
Unfortunately, I already saw that video. I helped a bit, but definitely didn't fix the problem.

I had problems with my MDT mags and my JAE chassis, was an easy fix. I just took a file to the corners of the rear of the mag and kept removing material till it would fit, took me a little while but it fit perfect. I will see if I can find the magazine I was using, and send you a pic.

edit found magazine, this may help or not but it’s a 223 MDT magazine that was used in my JAE.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I had problems with my MDT mags and my JAE chassis, was an easy fix. I just took a file to the corners of the rear of the mag and kept removing material till it would fit, took me a little while but it fit perfect. I will see if I can find the magazine I was using, and send you a pic.

edit found magazine, this may help or not but it’s a 223 MDT magazine that was used in my JAE.
Thanks Chief

Reactions: Nouseforaname01

Thx for the advice. I'll try to file off a bit more then. Your magazine adjustment looks similar to mine so I shouldn't be that far off.
How did the magazine feed once you made it fit?

Once you get the magazine to insert into the magwell smoothly, then all you have to do is adjust everything per the video that @ACard sent you and it will work just fine.

I adjusted the magazine so that it inserts smoothly into the magwell now, but the problem I have with the Accurate Mags seems to be even worse with the MDT mag. Every single round gets pushed to under the feeding ramp. And I can't put the magazine in any higher or the bolt will hit the magazine.
I'm starting to think Tikka actions and AICS mags aren't ment to be used together in 223.

@Nouseforaname01: was your 223 in that J Allen a Tikka or a Rem700 footprint?

Don't have a Tikka or J Allen but I have had issues with feeding .223. From the AI AICS mag my rifle fed great for a while and then started to dive pretty much every round. From MDT mags it feeds fine most the time but will sometimes impact on the breech face and jam especially in cold weather. The accurate mag has thus far run 100%.

I mention all this by way of illustrating that apparently feeding .223 from aics type mags can be issue prone. If I were you I would first try one of every makers mag and fiddling with your magwell adjust extensively on each. See if you can wear the anodization off some snap caps testing the feed. You have at least the magpul brand mags left to try and I think there might be one more maker out there as well. I expect with enough fiddling with your stock adjustment and enough different brands you will have a winner. Then, just sell off the brands that don't agree with your rifle. They will be like new so you shouldn't loose much. That reminds me, I should sell that AI mag and at least one of the MDT to buy another accurate. If nothing works testing and fiddling with each maker, at that point I might start messing with altering .223 mags as they are not the easiest to tune being molded plastic.

Best of luck. Also, MDT plastic .223 mags are the second largest AICS patern mags of any caliber I have ever encountered and I have also encountered chassis they don't fit in (McRee's). The only mag even bigger I have run into is the billet Vudoo.