• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Feeding problem with Badger M5 trigger guard

Known

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
Cascade Mountains
Hi,

I'm having an occasional feeding problem with the Badger M5 setup. I installed it using the pillars supplied with the kit. The rifle is a .308 chambered with a Palma reamer. Receiver is a factory Remington 700 Left Handed short action. Brass is brand new Lapua. Bullets are 155 scenars seated to 2.810.

Every once in 50 rounds or so, the mouth of the case will snag inside the chamber (it snags the area of the chamber where the base of the cartridge is when fully seated). I can remedy the jam by backing off the bolt and changing the angle of the cartridge and pushing with my finger - it goes right in. The jam happens after the cartridge has left the feed lips of the magazine so I doubt I have a magazine issue.

I can easily create the jam by moving the bolt forward slowly and backing it up slightly after the cartridge has left the feed lips and then moving the bolt forward again. If I cycle the bolt quickly I don't have the problem as often, but I can see where the mouth of the case is hitting the edge of the chamber even when they don't jam. However, every now and then it gets enough of a bite on the edge of the chamber and jams. I want perfection from my rifle.

The jam only occurs if the cartridge is at a precise angle or angled to the side. Unfortunatley, this precise angle is achieved when the magazine still has rounds in it. If the magazine only has one round, the jam will not occur because the cartridge being fed rides at a lower angle once released from the feed lips. If there are remaining rounds in the magazine, the cartridge rides at a slightly higher angle and/or to the side after being released from the magazine lips. I don't believe that bending the magazine lips would affect the situation since the rounds remaining in the magazine are pushed down and away from the feed lips when the bolt is feeding a round.

I chamfered the outside of the cartridge mouth and it helps a little bit - but I still get jams. Next, I'm thinking of polishing and/or chamfering the chamber but I'm worried that it might cause the web of the cartridge to expand if I'm too aggressive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Feeding problem with Badger M5 trigger guard

Ed,

Send it back to the smith. I know the man will make it right. Give me a call if you like as well.

Vu

Re: Feeding problem with Badger M5 trigger guard

Folks,

I had a chance to speak with Vu and he has a wealth of knowledge with exposure to a number of bolt action rifles by various custom builders. I called him a genius - hopefully it will not go to his head.

Turns out my situation is not unique - in other words one could induce the same malfunction in most rifles. What this tells me is my chamber is OK and there is no need to mess around with it.

However, Vu did point out that my feed angle could be contributing to the problem. I learned that the M5 system requires a bit of tweaking. He suggested that I bend the rear of the magazine lips in a bit to get the front of the rounds higher. I followed Vu's advice and my rifle feeds much smoother. The tips of the bullets just clear the feed ramp whereas before they were hitting the top 1/3 of the ramp. In addition, I can operate the bolt slowly (yes - I know it should be operated briskly) and it feeds very smoothly.

Thanks again Vu!