• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeding Problems

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
I need help with follower riding too high and stopping the bolt going forward.

Mausingfield M7
Manners EH2 stock
Hawkins M5 Obendorf BDL bottom metal
Wyatt box and follower.
300 Norma Mag
Proof CF barrel

I’m not sure which Wyatt box and follower I have. I bought what Kevin Wyatt said I needed.

Everything went together nicely but follower rides too high and blocks the bolt in the last eighth inch to the rear.

it appears to me the receiver rails are not capturing the follower. The box is straight walled and fits nicely under the receiver rails. Follower is flat stainless steel.

Kevin Wyatt recommended I use one of his center feed boxes.

Any similar experience or solutions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Who assembled it?
Bottom metal and magazines are the 2 items that stump most people assembling at home.

Im guessing you bolted it all together?
Since you don't know which components you have its probably best to call WYATT on monday.

Yup. Assembled in my shop. I assumed these parts would play well together.

I spoke with Kevin yesterday.

He blamed tolerances on the receiver and recommended his center feed box.

American rifle company only has the one bolt stop. If the bolt was stopped one eighth inch sooner, it would run.

I had something like this happen once and what I did was to file a angle on the back of the follower so the bolt could push down the follower out of the way. (like a 45 degree angle)

I had something like this happen once and what I did was to file a angle on the back of the follower so the bolt could push down the follower out of the way. (like a 45 degree angle)

That could work but the follower is a flat piece of stainless. Not enough thickness to create a ramp.

I can just about guarantee that the Mausingfield isn't out of spec from what it was designed to be. It may be different than a R700. That's what always makes this tricky. Look at it from the bottom and see if the follower is too small to be stopped by the receiver, of it is, than you know what the issue is, and then you just have to figure out how to fix it. That's usually the easier part.

Welcome to the joys of assembling assorted parts.
They don’t always jive as the bolt action world is different than the AR world.
Hopefully you get it sorted out.

I can just about guarantee that the Mausingfield isn't out of spec from what it was designed to be. It may be different than a R700. That's what always makes this tricky. Look at it from the bottom and see if the follower is too small to be stopped by the receiver, of it is, than you know what the issue is, and then you just have to figure out how to fix it. That's usually the easier part.

We have a winner! Thank you.

I removed the follower from the spring and saw the follower fit on the rails with more clearance than I would like but it was captured by the rail.

Bolt still hit the back of the flat, stainless follower.

A bit of a bend of the follower away from the rail and the bolt, reassembled and it runs fine.

Special thanks also to ShtRdy. Bending the follower accomplished what you did by filing a solid follower.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShtrRdy and Ledzep