• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeler, South Central Idaho, LRP Steel Match's.

idahojay

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2008
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I probabley should have put this feeler out sooner but I am a busy boy. Just checking to see if there is any interest for long range precision reactive steel match's in South Central Idaho.

I live in Bellevue, Idaho located 60 miles North of Twin Falls and 20 miles South of the tourist town of Ketchum/Sun Valley. We are surounded by BLM land that would make for some fine real world long range precision shooting.

Local LE has indicated there interest in this so I thought I would throw this out there to the rest of you guys. Friday I wrote a PO for a bunch of AR500 cut to my specs. I will spend this winter making the stands and finishing them out to start shooting monthley or bi-weekley match's in the spring.

The best match's I have been too were up in Montana at Augustis Ranch. I beleive I would like to do some thing like that down here. Shooting from 300 to around 1400 yards With multipul walk to firing positions.

At this point I have ordered material for forty five targets, five life size upper torso, 10 each 12", 10", 8" and 6" hex. I thought this would be a good place to start.

If this is of interest to anyone please let me know.

Jay Seaquist

Re: Feeler, South Central Idaho, LRP Steel Match's.

Hell Jay, you travel down here for matches..... I would come up to yours.

Russ & CapM
I am glad to see thier is some interest, thank you for your replys.
I am going to pickup the targets on Aug 7 in SLC on my way to the Price shoot Aug 8 (see ya then Russ). This way I don't have to pay to truck it up here. Just gas in my truck instead of the car.
CapM, you should come down for the Price shoot Aug 8th and lets meet. I heard you took the shoot in April and thats why you missed the Augustus Ranch shoot, good shooting!
I am thinking if there is enough interest around here to start a club. At the very least I am trying to do more shooting and less driving!

Jay Seaquist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Seaquist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just checking to see if there is any interest for long range precision reactive steel match's in South Central Idaho.

I live in Bellevue, Idaho located 60 miles North of Twin Falls and 20 miles South of the tourist town of Ketchum/Sun Valley. We are surounded by BLM land that would make for some fine real world long range precision shooting.

</div></div>

Jay,

Sounds like a great plan to me! Count me in, at least when your matches don’t fall on top of something else. Chris Ward has been running this kind of match in Raton, NM for years (see http://demigodllc.com/srm/ ). I am sure he can offer some valuable insights into targets, course layout, squadding and the like.

Cheers,

DC

DC,
Thank you for the reply and the link. Just now quickley checked it out and will spend more time and make contact with Chris soon. This is however the type of shoot I am interested in and hoping to find others.

I hear ya about the overlap, it seems everyone close around (seven driving hours or less) runs there match's on the second Saturday. So this is somthing that needs to be carfully addressed.

Where are you located in Idaho?

Jay Seaquist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Seaquist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DC,
Where are you located in Idaho?
</div></div>

Near Midvale, about an hour north of Ontario, OR.

The Parma, ID club (http://www.parmarng.org/) also runs a field type course once a year. You might consider touching base with Neill 'Longbow' Goodfellow ([email protected]) for his take on running this type of match.

Another suggestion: Don't run a two day match during the big game hunting seasons (September or October), since quite a few of your most enthusiastic competitors will not be available...

DC

O.K. gentalmen there seems to be interest in doing this in this area. The targets and stands are coming along fine. I almost have five doubles, one quadruple and two singles done. At this point I beleave I will put the rest on T shaped steel fence posts. This will save me a lot of time and money. It will also alow the coarse to be more diverse and faster to set-up and tear down. We can leave the T bar posts planted and just slide the targets on and off. Captain Moroni and I will test this idea this coming weekend. He has also offered to help in this endeviour.

At this point I would like to set-up a web site to get the word out. Nothing fancy. Does anybody know anything about web sites. I have checked out GODADDY and can build it myself and about 10 bucks a month to host. I really could use some help on this.

I am hoping to start shooting match's in May, but it's all up to when the mud dries up out on the BLM. The area I am looking at doing this is about five miles south and 2 miles west of Bellevue Idaho.

I will post pictures of targets very soon.

All and any help is gratley appreciated!

Jay Seaquist

Guys,

Jay is good to go. He has come all the way to Nor Cal to shoot with us when he is not busy working.

Jay,

You know you have our support from the left coast. Maybe if you give us advance notice me and a few boys can make a trip out your way.

Vu

Vu,

Oh ya! I had every intention of keeping you informed and was hoping you and some of the boys would come out. Youve got some real shooters over there.

The first shoot is up in the air waiting for the snow to melt and mud to dry. After that there will be a month to month same same schedule.

Thanks for your support VU.
----------------

My plan is to run these match's both Saturday and Sunday so people can make both or any day. Camp out on the BLM or people can hotel it. Maybe do some Dutch oven cooking, night stick shooting. After the LRP shooting do some pistol and carbine at dueling trees.

Word of caution! Don't let your wives loose in Ketchum/Sun Valley if they are traveling with you and you value your checking account.

Jay Seaquist

Any estimates on,
match fees
round count
caliber restrictions

Will the fence post stands hold up to a .338 hit?

Match Fee's;
As these match's will be held on BLM land and I do not want to do all the paper work and pay the $90.00 permit fee, there will be NO match fee's. However, donations for target upkeep and to help offset my cost will be thankfulley accepted.

Round Count;
Will be in the 80 to 90 range per day. Two shots per target scored H & M .

Caliber Restrictions;
The only caliber restrictions are anything above .34 can only fire at targets 800 yards and beyond.

Ammo restrictions;
Absolutley NO inciniary, tracers, armor piercing, penitrator. The rule is, if you intentionally ruin my target, you bought it!

Will the fence post take a .338 hit?; How about you and your .338 come on over to Bellevue, we will do a little shooting and make absolutley sure. Captain Moroni and I are going to do some testing this weekend. I shoot 210gr, 300WINMAG but I am not sure what CM shoots.

Any and all help would be greatley appreciated!!!

Jay Seaquist

Jay,
It sounds like this will be fun. FWIW, there are several matches to keep in mind in the time frame you are talking about.
Parma has a 2 day steel/field match 15/16 April.
The Central Oregon Sniper Match (Bend, OR) is scheduled for May 8th.
There is a 'Steel Challenge' steel/field team match scheduled for May 15th in Kettle Falls, WA.
And, of course, the NORCAL TBRC runs May 28-30th...
Anyway, I think the wife is working May 15/16 and May 22/23, so count me in if you decide to go those weekends.
Cheers,
DC

Jay,
I would come up from Central Utah for the matches. Keep us posted

Will do SteelDinger, you can count on it!

DC Smith; and everybody else; My best guess at this point is that the first match will be the weekend of the May 15/16 or 22/23

Jay Seaquist
W; 208-788-3242 X15
C; 207-720-6995

I don't shoot a .338, but a few years ago a .338 guy knocked over an 800 yard target at a Parma event.

ida83704, your still welcome to come on over and lets do a little target testing. I'm getting sick and tired of spending all my off time machining and welding.

I wanted to post some pictures of the targets I have been building. At this point I am just finishing up racks for 1/3 of my targets that I have on hand at this time, eight racks in all. Two upper torso, one four place and five doubles. My thought is to put all the remaining targets on T-posts but have yet to test this theory but will get it done this week. My thought is that it will allow for a much more diverse course, with faster set-up and tear down. All targets are 1/2 thick AR500.

I have also built ring clamps that go on each side of the targets and A-frames to keep them from walking over but did not put them on for these pictures.

This is a four place swinger.
034.jpg

These are to doubles and Steve.
038.jpg

Life size upper torso swinger.
044.jpg

All my targets are known sizes cut + or - 1/16. The hex sizes are 12', 10", 8" and 6". I have 10 each of all these sizes and five each of the upper torso. I believe this will be a good place to start and give us all lots of diverse shooting.

Jay Seaquist

They look great! your doing a nice job. I am on standby for a date. I really hope I can make it, looks like it will be alot of fun.
I need to check out Idahos ATV registration laws, hope I can bring the ATVS.

SNAGLYTOOTH: Hope to see ya up here. Don't quote me but I would think as long as you have currant registration in any state you would be O.K. The area that we will be using requires you to keep your ATV's on existing roads and trails that a jeep could use. The way these match's will be set-up over a large area shooting over canyons with roads we cant have ATV's running thru the impact area. After the shoots, heck ya!

Thank you for your words of encouragment.

Jay Seaquist

Ya I hear ya. I just use them for setup, checking and repainting tragets.

Looks like fun...Is it open to anyone?

Scott
Boise

It is open to everyone who can legaly, own, posses or have access to firearms.

Jay Seaquist

Re: Feeler, South Central Idaho, LRP Steel Match's

I just got back from meeting with Jay and I think we will be able to put together a pretty good field type match. I will post a few pics of the targets he has built. They are very sturdy and well made. The four plate racks that I have shot before were not as sturdy and by the time you shot the third and fourth plates they were swinging pretty good these dont move at all.
I will let Jay fill everyone in on the particulars but heres a few pics.
Tucker
TBloxham
TBloxham
TBloxham
TBloxham

O.K. gentalmen I believe we are off and running. CaptainMoroni (Tucker) and I spent seven hours shooting and talking yesterday over towards American Falls.
I came away with a very favorable impression and felling about tucker. He is a very capable young man, level headed, deep thinking, honorable and is looking at long term goals, dang good shooter too! I believe Tucker will do a fine job and make us all proad.
Tucker is going to handle the logistics end of this club. So Tucker we be the man to contact with all question and concerns. At this point you can contact him here on the Hide untill we get our E-Mail set-up and running witch will be very soon. The hold up for the E-Mail is this. WE NEED A NAME, so please lets all chime up Idaho boys and girls. My sujestion is "SCILRPP" (South Central Idaho Long Range Practical Precision).
Tucker has many very good ideas for match's. Timed, mag changes, dfferant positions, loss of points for misses and so on. Now me, maybe it's because I'm 48, smoke and refuse to exercise, I like the slower pace more laid back shoots. No time limits, two shots per target scored hit or miss. So I say lets do both. Split into two squades starting at different ends of the course.
The bottom line is we can do anything thing we want so we need to hear from everybody as to what you would like to see with the main theme being long range practical precision shooting. After the LRPP match's we will also be doing CQB drills,each shooter being score by time and number of rounds fired with carbines and pistols for fun and training purposes.
These will be two day match's with camping out on the BLM or you can hotel it in town. Typically ran on a Saturday and Sunday so you can attend one or both days. I will bring a gas fired barbeque that everyone is welcome to use. You will however be required to bring your own fluids and food. Also you will be required to bring rifle, ammo, balistics info for your rifle, tools to run rifle and gear to be able to hump all the above from FP to FP with fluids and snacks. The more spotting scopes the better but Tucker and I each have one. You can use a range finder, scope or just listen to someone that does have a RF to get your ranges.
I have seen considerable interest localley and here on the hide. If this interest continues we will put up a web-site to make information gathering easyier.
Tucker and I are both at this time checking schedules of other relativley near by shoots. So we can come up with a month to month schedule that does not interfear with other shoots. There are several shooters from surrounding states and Idaho that will be attending NORCALS TBRC. So we will not schedule our first match in May for that weekend. We are waiting for the snow to melt and the mud to dry for our first shoot in May, maybe even towards the end of April if things continue as they are. May's shoot will probabley have short notice (two weeks) but after that it will be the same weekend, month to month untill the snow fly's.
At this time I would like to refer everyone to CaptainMoronis capable hands. I will however contine to answer questions for anyone that contacs me. I look forward to meating and shooting with all of you very soon.

Jay Seaquist
[email protected]
208-720-6995

Jay, you forgot to mention my good looks j/k. Everyone Jay has put in a conciderable amount of time and money into making this happen this can be a huge benifit to the shooters in this region. Not to say that traveling to UT, NV, or CA isnt worth while I have had a great time and made many good friends and I intend to continue attending those matches but we want to as Jay says "shoot more and travel less". We talked about doing a monthly match and then a big match once a year that would be something that shooters from all over the west would enjoy shooting.

If anyone has questions or comments the best way to reach me is a PM here I will shortly have an email set up for the matches probably Gmail or my personal email is [email protected] or my cell # is 208-221-5642. If you call leave a message and I will call you back I am usualy pretty busy during the day.

We look forward to shooting with everyone soon
Tucker

Jay
Thanks for the 411 today! I have been too busy to check in here and read much of anything this winter. I expect Joe and I will be down for a couple events for sure. I mentioned it to him a couple moths ago and at that time he was good to go. I would hope some of the regulars that shoot at AR would come with us also, but I cant readily speak for them, but I will mention it this weekend for sure. Its been my experience that we typically get a lot of interest until the shoot date is announced, and then traffic dies off, for what ever reason. I sincerely hope you have a better experience than what we have seen up here, but I would say you should draw roughly 25% of your initial contacts. As you know, in long range precision field shooting, I believe there are no rules and that it is catch as catch can, what ever it takes to get the job done.

I have seen a lot of people come and go at my place, from all forms of shooting diciplines... Unknown distance field shooting is all together another animal, in and of itself, for what that may be worth?

In any event, I look forward to doing some shooting with you at your place this year!!

Best Regards, Aug ><>

Well, count me in.

It sounds like a blast.

What kind of distances are you planning?

+1 for a slow fire.

As for the name:
"Match por Tatos"...haha

Long Range Competitive Shooters of Idaho
LRCSI
LRCS.ID
or
LARSCI...long arse range competitve shooters of Idaho...lol

If you have an e mail list please add me to it. I'd like to come over for one of these and give it a go. Thanks.
Adios,
TG