• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feisol cb-50C mod for panning lock out

MikeInUtah

Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
West Valley, UT
My feisol tripod setup is working decent except for the ball head panning base. I found the panning tightening screw not up to the task with my rifles mounted on the ball head and it would work loose during a course of fire. I know these ball heads are for photography mainly so I doubt the panning screw was architected for how we use them. Also, I dont have any need for the ball head to pan as I dont use it for range finding or a spotting scope so I came up with this option that others may find useful.
By taking apart the three screws on the bottom of the ball head exposes the internals and panning base plate that can be removed. Drilling out the panning base and reusing the threaded screw holes, I was able to install longer screws countersunk in the panning base which mates the panning base to the ball head assembly with (6) 2.5mm screws. I also made sure to make the screw holes in the panning base so the 0 degree mark lined up with the arrow on the ball head for aesthetics. The relation to the threading of the 3/8 screw hole in the ball heads to the tripod isn't necessary to take into account as the apex on the feisol 3372 legs spins 360 degress and can be adjusted instead of being dependent on the panning base timing. However, if this ball head is mounted to a tripod without an adjustable apex then you will need to take this into consideration before drilling out the panning base.

Here are the screws needed. I believe I used the 10mm screws.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QKZ8PY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One concern I had was regarding the little 2.5mm screws that may fail given the aluminum body of the ball head but most of the force in loading the tripod dosent correleate too much torquing force on the panning base as the force is applied mostly forward.

I have been working with the mod for sometime now and what I initially discovered that, as of course the ball head didnt pan any longer, the torque transferred to the 3/8 tripod screw would work out now from the ball head. I was thinking on using locktite but instead went with a rubber o-ring in between the tripod and ball head and havent had an issue since.

I know rrs makes their heads without the panning base entirely (at least the anvil 30) and is a all round better option but I figured just work with what I have to get more life out of the setup before I move to a rrs setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 16