• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fellas, I got forearm removal problems.......

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
Gentlemen-
I have a Rock River Arms predator pursuit (purchased here on the hide) with a plain aluminium forearm that I am upgrading to a PRI gen III forearm (also purchased here on the wonderful hide). For some reason I can't seem to get the factory forearm to unscrew. I removed the gas block and tube and put the upper into a vise. I tried grabbing it with my man strength and unscrewing it, but to no avail. I am debating using a big pipe wrench but really don't want to mess up the finish because I think somebody around her could probably use this thing on a build. I own a AR multi wrench, but can't bet to the backside of the nut with it because the upper interferes with the wrench. I already broke a big nice strap wrench trying to get it off and now I am not sure what to do. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Ryan

Re: Fellas, I got forearm removal problems.......

Try another strap wrench and make sure you're at least two inches away from the upper on the tube. Most of those tubes thread onto a shorter section that is threaded onto the upper itself. There should be a line there between the two sections but it's pretty hard to see, especially on the better quality forends.

Good Luck, Keith

Thanks for the input Keith, but I have been that and done that, unfortunately......

Thanks

Ryan

Twist the other way

smile.gif

All joking aside.

Take a heating torch and slowly heat up the threads you need to get over 300deg's to brake free the locktite.

John

Does anybody know if that is going to mess up the finish of the anodizing?

I don't think it should but I'm not sure.

nope, it wont mess up the anodizing if you dont overheat it...

Keep the torch moving around the point where the tube screws on the nut and keep tension on the strap wrench (a large strap wrench since you will need to put some muscle behind it) you may even see some of the locktite flow out of the threads when it heats up. But keep the torch moving around the threads and try to keep the heat even. you dont need it glowing hot, but beyond the point that you caould touch it with hands.

Oh and degrease the tube with some gunscrubber or brake cleaner so the strap can get a better grip on it.

It aint easy and all the manufacturers put a healthy amount of red locktite on the tubes when they install them.
My bushmaster varmint took two 250lb guys with strap wrenches and about 10 minutes with a hobby torch to break it loose. This was after breaking a new strap wrench trying it without the torch, so I feel your pain.

Heat is the only way to do it. Keep the heat even and a small hobby torch or an adjustable plumbers torch is needed. Dont try using the oxy-acetlyne torch, too much heat too fast... That would be bad.

Good luck

+1; just don't go crazy with an acetylene torch or anything!