• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes felt recoil, muzzle brake vs scopes busting?

NikolaiS

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2009
Peoria, AZ
www.gothiclabs.com
Maybe a bit of a complex question here. (And this isn't a post about who's brand is better.)

Some scopes out there have a rep for tremendous ruggedness. Bang 'em around, mount 'em on a .50 cal, and they're fine. SB, USO, etc.

Then there are some brands where people have reported their scopes busting, especially when used with a higher power caliber. IOR, Leup, Bush, etc. (That's just based on what I've gleaned from peoples' posts here--not my own experience with these scopes.)

Ok...for those scopes that have a rep for busting, does anyone know if the determining factor is felt recoil...or something more complex?

I'll give a real world example. I have a Sako TRG (15 lbs) 300 Win Mag w muzzle brake and a Steyr Pro Hunter (8 lbs) 7mm-08. Felt recoil on the TRG is significantly less than the Pro Hunter. Logic would suggest that the TRG is likewise "easier" on the scope than the Pro Hunter. But is there a hidden factor that my shoulder isn't perceiving, but that is nonetheless harder on scopes?

Thanks,
Nik

Re: felt recoil, muzzle brake vs scopes busting?

The weight of the gun, the muzzle velocity and the bullet weight determine actual ft pounds of recoil. The weight and construction of the scope also come into play as the lighter and simpler he scope is, the less force is extered on it to overcome it's intertia.
That's why a lot of PHs like the light Leupold 2.5X on their big bores as it "moves with the gun" and it has no moving parts (like a variable) to get out of whack.
That is also why variables that will stand up to a 50 BMG cost a lot (like Schmidt & Bender).
There is a wonderful video I have seen where a trooper is shooting a Barrett 50 semi with an S&B 10X on it. You can actually see the rail and scope tube flex under recoil but it just keep on a working fine.
Don't try that with a $500 scope!

Many scopes do not have the ability or strength to handle the reverse recoil of a well braked rifle. That is why a high end air rifle scopes will work on braked rifles better than most mid range scoped. Excluding the high end scopes of course S&B, USO, Nightforce etc.
Rifle_Scopes_Nightmare.jpg

i can break a scope with an air rifle....a scope that was not made for an airgun with a wire reticle....and do it in very short order

wire reticles get shook loose all the time

variables break in short order on big guns like .50s 'specialy wire reticled glass.

muzzle breaks....that is good muzzle breaks will always reduce the shock transmitted to the glass.....

All very interesting posts...

I think the vid mentioned is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

Just to clarify, I'm on a 300 Win Mag, not .50 BMG.
smile.gif

And the felt recoil is very light, like I say, lighter than my 7mm-08. But I suspect that while I can't feel the recoil, there are actually 2 short, sharp jolts affecting the scope, one during the initial recoil, and then quickly reversing direction (or braking) from the muzzle brake before it really drives into my shoulder.

It also makes considerable sense that a small scope would ride with the rifle better (larger scope = larger inertia to overcome). Along that line, the shorter the scope rings, the closer to the rifle body, and the more "part of the rifle" the scope is, physics-wise.

Hmm, all this is talking around the feasibility of mounting an IOR SH 3-18x42 on a TRG. Very nice feature set at about $1500: mil/mil, ffp, quality glass, nice knobs...but durability questioned. A next step up might be a Premier (and I don't think this has any durability issues)...just a bit beyond my ability to come up with the cash. So, that's why I was hoping an IOR could "take it" on a heavier rifle with muzzle brake.

Nik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
muzzle breaks....that is good muzzle breaks will always reduce the shock transmitted to the glass..... </div></div>

???