• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Female shooters and training new people

andrew_pritch1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2011
Australia, Victoria
this is not an attack on female shooters I'm just wow'ed atm

well i got the missus to come out with me and a friend on his personal range.
we decided to shoot at 400 odd meters and my GF was able to pick off a 2 inch stick at that range into the sand dunes
went over to another hill and shot 700 meters and she was just as accurate
the scarier part was she had never fired a .308 before and was using my rifle to make a group the size of a car window out to a kilometer using 150 gr winchester idk with 46.5 gr of 2208 behind it out of a 22" Rem with vortex optics
before all this i taught her fundamentals with an Anschutz .22 target rifle at 20 meters

i have read that female shooters are great because they have no preconceived ideas of shooting they just do exactly as they are instructed generally
laugh.gif

the reason i ask is i have 3 new shooters as well as my other half that need a decent run down on the finer points of shooting

what i have done thus far is pretty much go heres the rifle this is how u operate the rifle go have fun get used to it

the guys i have trained were avid computer FPS guys and have amazing hand eye coordination.

had one of em turn around after woods and say yeah the crosshairs were wobbling every half second or so so i shot between em i turned to him and told him he was shootin between heart beats he never used a rifle before EVER

the other one i have atm is really good too but he stands 7 ft tall and is thin as a rake (ideas on rifle stock needed)

the other has shot before and won't need much attention other than picking on things like trigger control and follow through of the shot etc.

i hope i can get all of the above into operation and going stand alone

i have pointed them all to savages .22 calibre the one with the laminate type stock with the thumbhole can't remember what type exactely but it had a heavier barrel and produced good groups for the 700 dollar price tag and good as trainer and comp rifle but told them also that they can get dedicated target .22 for a lot more there choice in the end.

has anyone had experiences with the above and any pointers or tips with new shooters in general for training i know enough to produce well trained people but if anyone has any lesson plans or Teaching aids or in general things to watch for i would be very appreciative.

Re: Female shooters and training new people

Just make SURE that you send home that being SAFE is more important that hitting your target. Safty is the upmost importance.

That's the first thing i go over and i really do mash it in to em no point having a firearm if you can't use it safely

Make sure you teach them 4 rules of firearms?
All firearms are always loaded.
Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.
Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.
Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Should be good beyond that.

+1 for the above rules! I'm a RSO at our local range and get to see a lot!
Sounds like you are doing pretty good already. I think women learn to shoot better then men because they don't let their ego get in the way! You tell a women to do A...B...C and she does ABC! You tell a man to do ABC and he tells you that's not how John Wayne did it!
Do lessons that build confidence quickly! Keep the target in real close so they can figure out the relationship between sights and target. Nothing tears down a new shooter faster then making it to hard to hit the target. I see guys doing it all the time with their girlfriends. All they want to do is quit and go home it's not fun! It has to be fun.
Well that's my .02

in response to Unlcedog

Yes it was amazing i have noticed this with a few women shooters i have been able to train 'A B C' but what im finding with a few of them is that they can't wink (close one eye at a time) my missus has this problem so i plan on getting her some old sunglasses with a frame taken out and taping the other side for an eye blinder or maybe procuring an eye patch.
the other thing is she is left hand dominant but has no problem shooting right handed so this is a definant bonus. on top of this she has no problem with unbraked 30 cal recoil not even light bruising came up (she only weighs 50 odd kilograms
wink.gif
)

fun wise i put up novelty targets balloons Tin Cans Metal Gong (reactive) stuff and this goes down a treat.

The Russian shooting team found out years ago that shooting with both eyes open is best...if you need to block an eye, use a translucent material that lets light in. Has to do with equalizing pupil size.

so get some really dark glasses knock one of the lenses out and try that out. might just be the way to go then

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you teach them 4 rules of firearms?
All firearms are always loaded.
Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.
Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.
Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Should be good beyond that. </div></div>

We have very slight adjustments to that in the USMC

1) Treat every weapon as if it is loaded
2) Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3) keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4)keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire
5) (unwritten rule) know your target and what lies beyond

I was a marksmanship instructor on the Marine Corps for a few years and found that women could be awesome shooters. The female shooters would either be very good or go unqualified for the most part with very few in between. Females just comprehend instruction better, and dont get distracted as easy as us males. I also still have the 4 safety rules engraved in my brain. Every morning all recruits would have to stand and face the tower and repeat those rules. After hearing them for almost 2 years its hard to forget.