• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fence stretcher

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Anyone know where to get one of these?
antique-fj-townsend-fence-stretcher_1_cf0269c9d8e904c3eb03eb5ff929ee24.jpg

Need to replace a worn out one and what I'm finding looks like it takes twice the work to do the same job.

That was just a pic I found online. Jaws worn out on mine although handle plenty strong 50+ years later.

Interesting tool, I have always used the ratchet type. Seems like you would need a second person or third hand when using what the OP is looking for?

<snip>
That's what we used, unless it was a long stretch, then it would be the wire rope kind. Only way I think you get away with the OP's stretcher is if you can use your body to hold it in place while you staple the wire.

I have my Dad's fence stretcher, but it is a block-&-tackle affair. You can stretch a lot further with them. As in yards not feet.
I made mine.

Nearly free and will pull fence as tight as you want it and more.

That thing looks like it was made around the time of the Civil War. Maybe check antique shops.

I just made one out of 2x4 and 5 lag bolts with nuts and washers. It held the fence with the weight of my pickup truck pulling on it.

Reactions: Maggot
That thing looks like it was made around the time of the Civil War. Maybe check antique shops.

I just made one out of 2x4 and 5 lag bolts with nuts and washers. It held the fence with the weight of my pickup truck pulling on it.
Wrap the wire around one of the 2x4's and tie it to itself and it will hold till something breaks.

Reactions: Ravenworks

They were made well after the civil war. My brother bought one as recently as 20 years ago for a farm he was working on.

The ratchet bar type has its place, but I hate them. If you can get around the other side of the post with something, tie a loop in the wire far enough the post and pull with a comealong. If fencing barbwire tree to tree, two hammers gets it done.

You ever use one of those?
Built/repaired many a fence with those. They used to be ~$15 in the mid eighties. Not my favorite fence stretcher, but they were light (relatively) and idiot resistant...which worked out good enough, especially for the hired man...he would tie it on the back of his saddle along with a hammer to ride the fence where a wheeled vehicle couldn't get to.

if you are actually stretching a fence, check out "gripple" I use them all the time. not too expensive and they are adjustable.

Not the exact brand, but the exact type on nearly a weekly basis. I probably have somewhere between 6-7 miles of fences to look after.
Nothing better for wire to wire repair, but the one I have the hooks aren't big enough. It's just barely hanging on if pulling to a large (~8"+) corner post. Scares the shit out of me cranking that last bit.

Reactions: diggler1833
I was thinking about weight because I didn't enlarge the picture and thought it was one of those Hi-Lift jacks.
Those things are heavy and obnoxious.

Nothing better for wire to wire repair, but the one I have the hooks aren't big enough. It's just barely hanging on if pulling to a large (~8"+) corner post. Scares the shit out of me cranking that last bit.

I think mine is a TSC or Atwoods blue light special. It still hooks, but I know what you're talking about. All of my new corner posts are either 8"x8" or 2-7/8" drilling pipe (around the house)...then again, I've used cut cedar trees in a pinch too.