• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fermented Pepper Mash

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
If this is the wrong section please move it, but this is the only section where I see recipes and what not posted so I wanted to ask if anyone here makes their own pepper mash(like the kind Tabasco uses to make their sauce).

I think I got the gist of the idea so here goes:

- Pick some fresh, ripe peppers.
- Wash peppers
- Chop off stems
- Puree peppers and put into jar
- Mix in some salt(how much?)
- Let sit for at least 30 days
- Eat when its done

I had a few questions, for one how much salt do I use? And does fermenting take away any heat? I want them as hot possible and plan to leave the seeds in.

Also will I need to mess with them at all after putting the salt in?

Thank you sirs and maams.

i dont make my own...however, if its anything like salsa (which i do make) ... the longer it sits, the hotter it gets. This is difficult because you dont want it going bad but I also think Tobasco puts vinegar in their sauce. I would imagine you would also need some water to thin out the puree (if you want it watery like tobasco). What kind of peppers are you talking? Jalapeno or like Ghost pepper?

i dont make my own...however, if its anything like salsa (which i do make) ... the longer it sits, the hotter it gets. This is difficult because you dont want it going bad but I also think Tobasco puts vinegar in their sauce. I would imagine you would also need some water to thin out the puree (if you want it watery like tobasco). What kind of peppers are you talking? Jalapeno or like Ghost pepper?

Well what Tabasco does is strain the juice out and tosses the rest of the mash in the garbage. I was just going to keep the mash as-is, I made some puree`d Jalapeno sauce with 3/4 cup cider vinegar in it and it was awesome. Ive heard if you ferment them, they will keep for a long, long time and hence my interest in doing so.

Far as peppers, I like everything from Jalapenos on up as far as heat level. I cant really stand bell peppers and the rest of that weak crap. Habaneros are about the only really hot peppers I dont like, not due to the heat but because they taste like sh!t IMO. Cayennes are my favorite, along with Jalapenos. If I could make a pepper with the taste of cayennes, and the heat of scotch bonnets or the like, that would be perfect.

So again, anyone out there fermenting peppers? Im mainly worried about growing mold, or botulism, or some other nasty stuff.

Well what Tabasco does is strain the juice out and tosses the rest of the mash in the garbage. I was just going to keep the mash as-is, I made some puree`d Jalapeno sauce with 3/4 cup cider vinegar in it and it was awesome. Ive heard if you ferment them, they will keep for a long, long time and hence my interest in doing so.

Far as peppers, I like everything from Jalapenos on up as far as heat level. I cant really stand bell peppers and the rest of that weak crap. Habaneros are about the only really hot peppers I dont like, not due to the heat but because they taste like sh!t IMO. Cayennes are my favorite, along with Jalapenos. If I could make a pepper with the taste of cayennes, and the heat of scotch bonnets or the like, that would be perfect.

So again, anyone out there fermenting peppers? Im mainly worried about growing mold, or botulism, or some other nasty stuff.

3 lbs- jalapno peppers- chopped

1 small head cabbage- shredded (purple or green)
2 medium onions- chopped (purple or white)
3 Tblsp salt
3 Tblsp dry crab boil spices (or mustard seed)
(I use crab boil bag with mustard seed as first ingredient)

1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp hot curry powder
---------------------------------------------
3 cups sugar
3 cups vinegar

Mix first 8 ingredients in a non-metallic bowl.
Cover and soak in refrigerator overnight.
Next day, drain off the liquid and add sugar and vineg.
Bring to a boil and place in hot, clean canning jars.
Fill to 1/4 inch of top with 1/2 pt jars to 1 pt jars.
Process jars in open boiling water for 5 min to 15 min.