• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFL QUESTION?

PJC7250

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2002
Apollo, Pa.
I do not have an FFL. If I sell one of my rifles to a person out of state can I ship my rifle to an FFL dealer of the purchaser’s choice to complete the transfer? Or do I have to use an FFL in my state to ship to purchaser’s FFL? I live in PA.

Re: FFL QUESTION?

Yes you can...but it's entirely up the the receiving FFl's if he will accept an out of state transfer from an individual.

That should be asked ahead of time and taken care of from the buyer. It doesn't always work that way though.

Normally a photocopy of a GOV ID sent along with the rifle is good enough for the receiving FFL.

CHRIS
EDIT: If the receiving FFL requires a shipment from another FFL, add that cost in to you sale price.

It depends. If the receiving FFL dealer agrees that you can ship the firearm to him, he may give you a signed copy of his FFL license to facilitate shipping. Be advised that some FFL dealers do not accept firearms from unlicensed individuals and require the firearm to be shipped from another FFL. You should check his FFL ID before sending the firearm out using the BATF FFL checking system online as well.

Good luck

Also, try to retain a copy of the FFL for your record of the transaction. Just because the receiving end is an FFL doesn't mean that you are 100% "safe".

Legally speaking you dont have to get a copy of the recieving FFL, you just have to send your Drivers License copy to the FFL. But like it was said above, you need to make sure that the FFL that you are sending it to accepts from a private non-FFL individual. Is it good to get a copy, yeah by all means, cover your ass in the long run, but do you need it? No