• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP alternatives

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
I am in need of a scope for my .308 SPS-V. It's just another run of the mill rifle stuck in the B&C A5 stock, timney trigger, 20 moa rail blah blah blah.

I would like to have the NF 3.5-15 X 50 F1, but by the time I get the Zero stops, with the MLR reticle, and what not (which is what I want) I am over 2k. I thought about the luepy F1, but for that $ I'll buy the plain jane NF.

OK, at half the cost of the above:
How do the Vortex Vipers ffp, mil/mil stand in line with the above? I don't like all the damn numbers in the reticle, and I don't currently have a need for an illuminated reticle but oh well.

I had a falcon menace FFP, liked it well enough, but the turrets sucked.

Its sort of a budget build, but I want good turret adjustments, reliable tracking, and good glass....it's just a paper puncher, not a hunting rig. My goal is to work out to 6-800 yds, until then any where from 1-400. Any other suggestions would be aprecciated.

BTW (everything is being replaced due to house fire, so I would like to upgrade a little where I can.)
Thanks

Re: FFP alternatives

The Vortex PST is not fully on the market yet. That being said it would appear to serve what you are looking for.

and (very important and)

The company is a good company.

when the PST hits the shelves, it is going to take some money from a lot of high end scope makers....

i cant wait to get one...

bench

Sorry guys, just read they haven't been released. The review looks promising, hope the production models fair as well as the pre production ones that have been reviewed. But it does appear to fall into my requests.

I would get a fixed power scope, you don't need ffp when you only have one power. the uso st10 is a great buy for around $1000 also s&b makes a fixed 10 along with the mark 4. way to many people overlook fixed power scopes, they are very underrated. especially if you are jsut punching paper.

The word is that Vortex just started shipping a few of these. Not sure how many or what model. I'm sure we should start getting some reviews in a week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in need of a scope for my .308 SPS-V. It's just another run of the mill rifle stuck in the B&C A5 stock, timney trigger, 20 moa rail blah blah blah.

I would like to have the NF 3.5-15 X 50 F1, but by the time I get the Zero stops, with the MLR reticle, and what not (which is what I want) I am over 2k. I thought about the luepy F1, but for that $ I'll buy the plain jane NF.

OK, at half the cost of the above:
How do the Vortex Vipers ffp, mil/mil stand in line with the above? I don't like all the damn numbers in the reticle, and I don't currently have a need for an illuminated reticle but oh well.

I had a falcon menace FFP, liked it well enough, but the turrets sucked.

Its sort of a budget build, but I want good turret adjustments, reliable tracking, and good glass....it's just a paper puncher, not a hunting rig. My goal is to work out to 6-800 yds, until then any where from 1-400. Any other suggestions would be aprecciated.

BTW (everything is being replaced due to house fire, so I would like to upgrade a little where I can.)
Thanks </div></div>

The Bushnell 3-12x44 FFP is the best scope I've seen for the money.It does everything my other FFP scopes costing 3-4 times the price do.It even has better glass than my $2700 scope.If Bushnell had a .5 mil reticle available it would be even more desirable.

Edit: I used it this weekend to win a local rifle match
grin.gif

Steve

Good luck spotting hits with a fixed 10x scope. I typically don't use more than 16x for shooting, but having more is nice for checking your hits, on paper up to 300 yards and steel up to 500-600 yards.
If anyone's gonna talk you into a fixed power scope, look at the supersniper 16x.
If you decide on a PST, or are even thinking about one, get your order in pronto. They are just now starting to trickle in, and dealers are already saying that not all pre-orders will be filled from this first shipment. In fact, if you place the order now they are saying it will be at least august, likely later, before your order is filled.