• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP and Corrective Lenses vs SFP Question

Guns4570

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2005
Kansas City MO
This question is for guys that have to wear corrective lenses only, if you don't wear them daily please don't post.

It seems to me... that looking through many FFP scopes with my glasses...they appear dimmer and not as clear out the edge as a SFP scope with good glass like a Zeiss Conquest and maybe a Nightforce. Have any of you found that to be true? And no I haven't looked through a Nightforce but hope to solve that today. Reason for the post..is I am seeing better through my Conquests (4-14x50 and 6.5-20x50) than I have through USO and Premier. So it appears I have to figure out a match to my lenses or just deal with it and go forward.

No I cannot have Lasik done....eyes are too dry for this to be performed I already checked on that.

Re: FFP and Corrective Lenses vs SFP Question

I never noticed this with my scopes.
Is it possible certain coatings on certain glass, when combined with coatings on your glasses, are causing the problem?
I would not think that reticle placement has anything to do with it.

RAF..I hadn't considerd the coatings being a miss match..thanks for giving me another thing to think about. Its a pain which ever one is causing it. Maybe its the Zeiss coatings which allow my seeing clearer...I will keep that in mind.

I haven't found it to be dependent on SFP vs FFP, but on compounding lens coatings.

That, and getting to the edge on plastic glasses lenses can distort the image slightly, yet make it appear to be a distortion in the scope lens.

And sometimes with glasses certain anti-glare coatings like Crystal can give you wash-out problems: it will look similar to glare in an a S&B without sunshade.

I take my corrective lenses off for shooting, and dial the ocular correction for my eye into the scope. That way I get the maximum benefit out of the very powerful and very expensive optical device that I have mounted on the rifle.
wink.gif

Guns,
I have transition lenses in my glasses...and although I usually wear my contacts when shooting I have noticed a few things. We use Lupy Mark 4's on our team guns for work and I have noticed issues with optical clarity on the edges when I wear my glasses...but not with contacts. I think it must have something to do with the optical curve of the lens (of the glasses that is). I just played around a bit before replying...and my NF (SFP) doesn't seem to have the issue...but the Leupold (FFP) does. If I center my head behind the scope better with my glasses on it isn't as noticeable....has to be the curve of the lens and the coating difference! Your Zeiss scopes must just match up better....for what that's worth!
Malcolm

Raf has hit it correctly. A lot of scope mfg's add a "tint" to their lens coatings to make things "appear brighter". Kind of like looking through "blue blocker" sun glasses. While it makes things look brighter it also washes out certain colors most notably the various shades of green. For a scope that will spend its whole life looking at black and tan targets that may not be a bad thing. But if you are looking for a gillie suit in grass it's not preferred. On the same token many eye glass manufacturers add tints to their lenses to achieve a different effect. The two may be incompatible.

I agree with Graham that if at all possible use the diopter adjustment on the scope to resolve your eye ball issues if possible.

Cheers,

Doc

What was that saying about a blind squirrel?
laugh.gif

Doc;
We need to plan dinner with the ladies!

I've had no problems with FFP or SFP scopes. That includes NF, USO, S&B, Leupold, Premier, Millet and Bushnell.

Thanks for the input guys. I went and looked thru a Nightforce at GAP today and it was very clear. I tried the diopter thing with my USO but my eyes are too bad for that to fix the problem. So corrective lenses are a must. Funny you mentioned the contacts..when I wore those things. I did readjust the USO and it is now better. I am going to revisit the Nightforce thing though. I just want one type of glass on most of my rifles and not have to adjust to the optics each time I grab a gun from the safe. So it cold be slight and FFP/SFP thing but the coatings may be the bigger culprit that they don't jive very well with my corrective lenses but at 53 years of age..I have to live with the eyes and the glasses so I have to adapt the guns to where I can use them.

I hate to force more work on USO, but....
Have you asked them if they can adjust the range on the ocular focus for you?

Rafael...I never even thought of that one. I will give Jeff or John a call and see.

Having the same problem with my current leupold mk4... With the ocular focus bottomed out (all the way in), the crosshair is still a slight bit fuzzy. Sometimes it goes completely out of focus for me and I have to look away from the scope completely and look back again to get it to be crisp. Playing with the side-focus/paralax does nothing for this.

I've also tried not wearing my glasses when I shoot and I see a huge difference in clarity, but with the ocular focus bottomed the crosshair is not crisp enough to read... Didn't realise the glasses coating would effect it that much, but it is very noticable.

LVMIKE....reason I know it to be true..Burris scopes I cannot even see through. Some midrange scopes are that way too and to my surprise some top end scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rafael...I never even thought of that one. I will give Jeff or John a call and see. </div></div>
I believe I have heard them say they can build a scope with different settings, but I really don't know if they can modify a built-scope. It's worth asking. The worst thing that can happen is you get to say hello to the USO folks.
laugh.gif

Yeah...I am glad I don't live within 20 miles of USO..like I do GAP..that could get very expensive. I can just see me trying to get and SN9 on my Kimber 22lr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STWguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guns,
I have transition lenses in my glasses...and although I usually wear my contacts when shooting I have noticed a few things. We use Lupy Mark 4's on our team guns for work and I have noticed issues with optical clarity on the edges when I wear my glasses...but not with contacts. I think it must have something to do with the optical curve of the lens (of the glasses that is). I just played around a bit before replying...and my NF (SFP) doesn't seem to have the issue...but the Leupold (FFP) does. If I center my head behind the scope better with my glasses on it isn't as noticeable....has to be the curve of the lens and the coating difference! Your Zeiss scopes must just match up better....for what that's worth!
Malcolm </div></div>

i am in this boat, never noticed it till my skills improved but i am slowing switching out scopes for that reason. i can correct the focus to shoot w/ out my glasses, but i can't see my game/target w/ them off, so i shoot w/ them.

One other thing to think about with glasses is that the optic center of the lenses (where you want to be looking for ideal correction) is not in the same place for normal wearing of glases vs looking down a stock. In normal use, you look at the center of the lens. When shooting you look at the corner of the lens over the bridge of your nose.

My solution--- CONTACTS!!