• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFP or SFP on .22 lr for kids and me

ffhounddog

Private
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Would you do a SFP or FFP for a kids .22? I have a SFP and a FFP sitting here and I am debating on which one would be better to teach kids?

Rifle is a Ruger American bolt action, Scopes are a Weaver Tactical 3-15 ffp and a Vortex PST Gen1 illuminated sfp.

Just my opinion, SFP for a kids gun. If you are just teaching the fundamentals, safety and handling, having a reticle that doesn’t change removes a variable. If you are going to do anything competitive with it where you need to spot misses and apply corrections, the FFP for sure. Either way not a huge deal. I run a SFP viper gen2 on mine just because it is the last SFP scope I own and prefer the FFP on everything else for corrections after misses.

I’m going to go the other way. Unlike a spf reticle, the image on a FFP scope doesn’t change as you change magnification. 1 mil is always 1 mil. This is simpler, though that fact is counter-intuitive. Print out an image of the reticle in the scope, and laminate it. Take it with you when you take your kid(s) shooting. With that aid, you can be sure that you and the shooter are both on the same page regarding instruction, correction, and nomenclature/jargon. Don’t teach them stuff you’re going to need to teach over/around in the future.