• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes FFp scope under $1500

btstrohfus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2017
Ive narrowed my scope search down to these few. All scopes will be mil/mil

With your experience, which scope has the best features and build quality for the given price? Im using this scope for my first long range build/ hunting rig......... .... 90% long range, 10% hunting.... Havent had a chance to compare them side by side so any input would be greatly apreciated.. thanks for your help

Gen2 Razor ebr2 mil 4.5-27x56... $1917 ( exception to the price limit...
gen2 razor ebr2 mil 3-18x50 .. $1763
Steiner t5xi 5x25 ... $1485 with $200 instore credit with purchase
Cronus Btr ... $1350
Gen 1 razor ebr2 .... $1300

Last edited:
The Steiners currently has a factory rebate on them too. I just picked on up and I very pleased that I sold my ERS for it.

The Steiners currently has a factory rebate on them too. I just picked on up and I very pleased that I sold my ERS for it.
Yeah, the cheapest ive seen the t5xi is $1650.. and at .90% iit comes to $1485, plus the seller is including a $200 instore credit.

I’m interested in one also. Would you mind sharing the vendor?

You be hard pressed to find anything perform better than a Nightforce NXS. The 3.5-15 F1 if you can't live without FFP.

They pop up here all the time for around 1500.

I would vote gen2 razor or gen 1.
There’s a new gen 2 razor on the Px on here right now for 1800 shipped. Maybe could get him a little cheaper.

It’s mrad. 3-18

Reactions: bjay
2nd 3rd 4th .... I would also like to know where youre getting a Cronus BTR for that price, i'd be all over it

The mechanics and optical quality better in the BTR than the others? Lots of interest in that over the others.

The gen 2 Razor did not have enough added features and stuff to justify the price over the gen 1 IMHO so I got a gen 1.

SWFA has a 3-15x42 FFP for around $700

Don't discount the SWFA SS 5-20×50 HD. Pretty darn good scopes, but they lack a zero stop.

For $1500, I would be looking at used higher end scopes too.

With your experience, which scope has the best features and build quality for the given price? Im using this scope for my first long range build/ hunting rig......... .... 90% long range, 10% hunting.... Havent had a chance to compare them side by side so any input would be greatly apreciated.. thanks for your help

Gen2 Razor ebr2 mil... $1917 ( exception to the price limit...
Cronus Btr ... $1350

Not on your list, but I’ve had excellent results with my Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18.

John

Better than the others expect the GenII razor. Also the Cronus BTR is 1799.99 everywhere I have seen it.

I’ve seen the Cronus btr for 1300 through a sponsored shooter, my cousin got it at that price. Call cameraland, they’ll take a couple hundred off but not 400. That said I got mine through cameraland for an absolute song when cabelas was clearing out the old gen stock at an advertised price. Cameraland went above and beyond going straight to Athlon for price matching and beat it like a red headed step child. They will do everything in their power to get your business ?

Check your local Cabela’s. I’ve seen two Cronus BTRs within the last couple months in the bargain cave for less than $1k. I almost grabbed one just for the great price but I’ve got nothing to put it on.

I would also second the LRTS. Great scopes and a great value for the money

Edit to say: they were marked higher than that in the cave but if you ask the guys working there they will lower the price. One guy offered 50% off the $1500 they had it marked.

Last edited:
The Steiner t5xi with rebate would be pretty hard to beat, especially with the 13%-15% extra discount coupon that comes up every couple weeks on opticsplanet.

Would the Gen2 Razor 3-18x50 be as good or a better choice than the above mentioned scopes? I would like the higher magnification, but if it could be had for the right money i could be persuaded..

i guess im wondering if the razor 3-18x50 offers enough magnification for distances of 1000-1500 yards.. im sure the 5-25 or 4.5-27 would be more than enough , but dont know if the 3-18 would limit that effective range.

Gen2 Razor ebr2 mil... $1917 ( exception to the price limit...
Cronus Btr ... $1350

Out of those the Cronus BTR is a steal for that price. The glass is on part with the Razor and from what I have read the MUCH better than any T series Steiner.

i guess im wondering if the razor 3-18x50 offers enough magnification for distances of 1000-1500 yards.. im sure the 5-25 or 4.5-27 would be more than enough , but dont know if the 3-18 would limit that effective range.

I see no reason you couldn't shoot 1000 yds with 18x, I think the reticle thickness at those distances would be a consideration depending on the scope though. I haven't shot 1500 so I am not sure about going that far with it

Are you realistically going to be shooting 1,500 yards?

Is it enough? Yes.. Is it preferred? Depends on what you like.

Plenty of guys are shooting 1k at 10x but I personally like all the magnification I can get at long distances.

It’s enough, and more than I typically use unless mirage is really calm. I’ve shot a mile, 1760 yards, with a Nightforce ATACR 4.5-14 without a problem.

In the summer time I'm rarely above 20x and one of my best LR scores was on a hot day where I never got above 15 X. Last week it was nice and cool and I ran the Cronus at max power from 200-1K, my buddy ran his nightforce at 35x the whole time. 1650 is a good price on a gen II 3-18, it's nice to have more magnification but it isn't critical.

Whats your definition of "Long Range" ? The Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 is a FFP with target turrets, good reticles, light weight and definitely under budget. The Razor 5-20 isnt bad, just much heavier, and ive seen a lot of Leupold MK6 3-18 scopes for dirt cheap lately... I know I gave one away recently because no one is biting on them.

Cabelas bargain cave around me never has anything but overpriced guns.

Are you looking in the gun library or the bargain cave? The gun library is always full of overpriced guns, but the bargain cave is usually full or returned or refurbished scopes, sometimes at excellent prices. Never seen guns in the bargain cave fwiw.

Are you looking in the gun library or the bargain cave? The gun library is always full of overpriced guns, but the bargain cave is usually full or returned or refurbished scopes, sometimes at excellent prices. Never seen guns in the bargain cave fwiw.
same here, Bargain cave usually has scopes for 40-60% off. Majority of the time its Vortex PST, occasionally Razors, and then things like lower end Leupold and Bushnell, swaro etc

Whats your definition of "Long Range" ? The Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 is a FFP with target turrets, good reticles, light weight and definitely under budget. The Razor 5-20 isnt bad, just much heavier, and ive seen a lot of Leupold MK6 3-18 scopes for dirt cheap lately... I know I gave one away recently because no one is biting on them.
Im setting up a new range at my place with a max distance around 1300-1400 yards.. i know the higher the magnification goes the higher the quality glass is needed to support the optic,. so im hoping to find a scope with a high, very clear magnification range,and hopefully around $1500 if possible.

I really like the christmas style reticle, but don't know if its more of a ( i think i want it rather than need it ) option. some of the best scopes out there use a reticle similar to the Steiner and NF. what are all your preference on reticle styles for long range shooting

Yeah, I was thinking gun library. I don't believe the St. Louis store has a bargain cave. I do remember one at the Kansas city location though.

I really like the christmas style reticle, but don't know if its more of a ( i think i want it rather than need it ) option. some of the best scopes out there use a reticle similar to the Steiner and NF. what are all your preference on reticle styles for long range shooting

I like the Cronus reticle and hoping the new ARES ETR with the floating dot like the nightforce Mil C. I like the .2 wind holds in the first mil.

Not sure if weight is an issue since you will be hunting with it. The Steiner is almost a pound less than the Gen II's.

I would also like to know where you are getting that kind of price for a Cronus btr. I’m actually in the market for one for a new prs gas gun and would jump on that.

I would also like to know where you are getting that kind of price for a Cronus btr. I’m actually in the market for one for a new prs gas gun and would jump on that.
I'm thinking the pricing is a dream, or a super secret best buddy discount. It has been asked about 4 times with no response.