• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SwampShooterSeabass

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2020
So I am currently planning my first rifle build as I get into long range shooting. Rifle wise I’m probably gonna go with the Bergara Ridgeback in 6.5CM. Currently I’m looking for some glass to throw on top.

Glass wise, I’m looking for a quality optic that’s preferably FFP and MOA and long bodied. Originally I was planning on getting a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2. However, as I’ve been doing my research on the optic, I’ve heard the glass isn’t the best and looking at my budget I realize I have more room to spare and I should use it seeing as the optic is likely going to stay longer than the rifle. I next was looking at some of the NF NXS models but those aren’t FFP. I then checked out the NX8 but noticed they didn’t hold up too high judging by reviews. Currently I’m looking at the Burris XTR3 seeing as it fits all of my pre-reqs. However I want to assess my options. Does anyone else know of a good optic around the $2k mark? Any help is appreciated.

Thank SH Comm!

look around and get a used NF ATACR 5-25 off here for around $2200 and don't look back

if i was in your shoes

i would also get Mils - but that's a whole different drawn out discussion. whatever floats your boat

Another good choice.... Vortex AMG, Schmidt PM2 used, Razor Gen2. all of which can be had around or under $2k. the schmidt may be a bit more, but the older P4FL reticle scopes have been going cheap and they'll have better glass than most anything else in that price range. Also, hard to beat a used Gen2 razor for 1600 in the PX, they show up all the time with the older EBR2C reticle.

Reactions: Nathan11B
I will also throw in the Steiner T5XI 5-25 . Great scope! Probably can get Scope and mounting hardware for $2k or less

Reactions: 308pirate
Go to europtics and browse their demo models for sale. You can snatch a bender for a few bucks over your budget..... especially MOA! Your right at that leveraging mark of getting the best glass when you pass 2,200/2,500. You've probably realized it when shopping around. There's always the used route too....guys selling good equipment here daily.

There are many options in the 1200-2000 dollar range.
Sightron 4.5-24 SSVED is a damn fine scope (get the one with zero stop)
Doug at cameralandNY has some incredible deals on Bushnell tacticals right now.
You can get a DMRII with a Kestrel for well under your budget.
Sightmark Pinnacle 5-30 is a really decent piece of kit, it is a LOW manufactured optic, as are most in that price range.
The Gen 1 Vortex razor 5-20 is still a damn fine scope and typically can be found for around 1300 new.
In regards to the PST Gen 2, I haven't heard of glass quality being an issue, they are really dandy scopes.
The Gen 1 had issues with the 4-16 glass, but that appears to have been remedied.
Athlon makes a several scopes in your price range, again, Doug at Cameraland is one of the go to sources for Athlon.
Mike@cstactical and Liberty optics are a couple of other excellent sources for glass.

^^^ theres plenty of decent scopes to get into for well under $2k for sure. but if "around" $2k is your budget - you can get MUCH better scopes for $2k or a hair more.

the above post aren't bad suggestions. but i'd put all the scopes mentioned previously well above any of those options for your budget.

NF
Razor Gen 2 (new)
Kahles
Minox
S&B

you'll likely not grow out of any of those scopes anytime soon.

The XTR3 competes very well with most of the scopes mentioned in its price. New off the shelf at $1700'ish is a very solid option..

It's a good choice..

Id also say go a little over 2k and go S&B, NF, Minox, or at minimum Steiner T5Xi...Eurooptic/Scopelist has S&B PMii's on sale always, slightly over 2k but those are 3k dollar scopes regularly. NF ATACR you can find for slightly over 2k for certain models and demos too. The Minox ZP5 is around 2500 but ive seen them as low as 2200...when your playing around this 2k price range its worth it to just get what you want as your very close to all the big players in the scope game.

-Reagan

Reactions: karb
Man scope shopping can be stressful. I have been researching for about 3 weeks now and seems as if the more I spelunk into optics the more undecided I become. The best piece of advice I received; Pick a scope in your budget and go shoot, then analyze what works and what doesn't and you can upgrade then. I kept telling myself I needed a 2000+ scope, the fact is I am not a 2000 scope shooter. Yes, I can spend more money now and grow into it, but IMO, I think id rather get a good scope, save my money and put the difference towards range time and ammo. Then when my scope cannot keep up with my skill, sell and upgrade....took me a while to talk myself down though....

Man scope shopping can be stressful. I have been researching for about 3 weeks now and seems as if the more I spelunk into optics the more undecided I become. The best piece of advice I received; Pick a scope in your budget and go shoot, then analyze what works and what doesn't and you can upgrade then. I kept telling myself I needed a 2000+ scope, the fact is I am not a 2000 scope shooter. Yes, I can spend more money now and grow into it, but IMO, I think id rather get a good scope, save my money and put the difference towards range time and ammo. Then when my scope cannot keep up with my skill, sell and upgrade....took me a while to talk myself down though....

I shot a $1000 scope in PRS for 4 years. Not one single issue. Glass wasnt the greatest, but that's rarely to practically never a restrictive issue, and tracking and durability were bulletproof.

So never let yourself get wrapped around the axle paying a little more. $1000 to $2000 are pretty damn nice these days.

I shot a $1000 scope in PRS for 4 years. Not one single issue. Glass wasnt the greatest, but that's rarely to practically never a restrictive issue, and tracking and durability were bulletproof.

So never let yourself get wrapped around the axle paying a little more. $1000 to $2000 are pretty damn nice these days.
Thanks for that. Not to Hi-jack, but as someone new to PRS and looking for an optic to throw on my PRS rig, how would you say the XTR III 3-18 would fare? or should I save a tad more and up the mag?

Thanks for that. Not to Hi-jack, but as someone new to PRS and looking for an optic to throw on my PRS rig, how would you say the XTR III 3-18 would fare? or should I save a tad more and up the mag?
Just be careful with upping your mag. From some of the research I have read, upping your mag may reduce the amount of adjustment you can make on your turrets. It might also begin to compromise on image quality. Again this is from some research I have been doing in my search for a scope, perhaps someone can provide a better understanding in case I am wrong. Good luck and if you decide to go with the XTR 3, let me know how well it works.

So many great scopes in this range. I would get a used one. I have used a Steiner, Nightforce, and a Schmidt and bender. All are great. Learning the reticle is the most important imo. That’s why I have and am in the process of switching everything to H59 because I have gotten use to it and don’t like switching back and forth.

So many great scopes in this range. I would get a used one. I have used a Steiner, Nightforce, and a Schmidt and bender. All are great. Learning the reticle is the most important imo. That’s why I have and am in the process of switching everything to H59 because I have gotten use to it and don’t like switching back and forth.
As I continue to do research, I’m thinking I’m gonna switch to mils. Seems like an easier way to make more accurate adjustments. However the H59 reticle seems like a nightmare. I feel like I would prefer to dial my elevation in. I get the H59 reticle is useful for when holdovers are a faster option and time is of the essence (I.e. competitions and such) but regular shooting I would like to dial my elevation without completely throwing my windage notches off

Reactions: seansmd
As I continue to do research, I’m thinking I’m gonna switch to mils. Seems like an easier way to make more accurate adjustments. However the H59 reticle seems like a nightmare. I feel like I would prefer to dial my elevation in. I get the H59 reticle is useful for when holdovers are a faster option and time is of the essence (I.e. competitions and such) but regular shooting I would like to dial my elevation without completely throwing my windage notches off

I still dial in but I still sometimes use it for hold overs and/or corrections. It’s just easier for me to see what my corrections are in the grid. But I also like to use it for hold overs. I try and practice both. It’s just what I am use to now. Any mil scope will do but I like consistency. I am not a competitive shooter and never will be. I simply don’t have the time for it with my job and family. However, at this moment in time, I have plenty of time to shoot and have been enjoying getting back into shooting rifles after shooting mainly handguns for the better part of the last 7 years :). Great advice BTW!

My vote goes to Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56.
Heck! You can even find used one for around $1,600 here all the time.

Reactions: GhostFace
Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 scopes either MOA or Mil (go with mil) I believe would fit your needs and save you several hundred dollars for practice ammo. Lots of good reviews on this scope here also.