• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP Scopes

Ice T

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2024
USA
Looking for some suggestions for a scope for my new rifle. I’m shooting a 300 win mag. Looking for a scope for hunting and target shooting. I’ve been looking at the 4-20 zoom range with a first focal plane. Illumination would be preferred. I’ve looked at the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP but have heard some poor rating on the turrets, and also the Burris veracity ph but didn’t like the lack of vertical MOA lines on the optic. $800-$1400 price range, would prefer made or at least have the parts manufactured in the US, Japan, or Europe.

The new Leupold Mk4HD is definitely worth checking out. The old standby is a used Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18. I’d start with those and see what you think. The Mk4 just came out and people don’t have them yet so there won’t be end user feedback for a bit.

How I view the topic:

SFP for hunting
FFP for target

Asking for dual purpose of anything results in half ass performance in both.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
Looking for some suggestions for a scope for my new rifle. I’m shooting a 300 win mag. Looking for a scope for hunting and target shooting. I’ve been looking at the 4-20 zoom range with a first focal plane. Illumination would be preferred. I’ve looked at the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP but have heard some poor rating on the turrets, and also the Burris veracity ph but didn’t like the lack of vertical MOA lines on the optic. $800-$1400 price range, would prefer made or at least have the parts manufactured in the US, Japan, or Europe.
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18
It's $1030 on opticsplanet
Their MOA version is the "tenmile HX" for the same price

Ffp, japanese made, illumination, will outlast a dozen LHT's by the sounds of it

Reactions: Ice T
Take a look at the Tract 4-25x50. Comes in mil or moa, has an excellent reticle which is illuminated also, has locking turrets and great glass.

Reactions: ACard and Ice T
They're brand new and haven't even hit shelves yet... How do you know they're "definitely worth checking out"?
The specs look good and they were developed downstream of the Mk5, which has a proven track record. Hence why they're worth checking out, rather than me saying they're good to go.

Reactions: CSTactical
Thanks, but no thanks. It says "L" right on the side of it... I'll avoid it. 😂

Still haven't forgot about you with the ZCO 527... It's just on the back-burner right now. 👍🏼

Optically you will prefer the longer MK4 with a 4X erector since the MK5 3.6-18 was made more as a DMR style scope with its shorter footprint.
Some teaser pics I just snapped off since we love you fools... (Damn iphone pics are too big and need to be resized to upload) - Richard

76900.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

Take a look at the Tract 4-25x50. Comes in mil or moa, has an excellent reticle which is illuminated also, has locking turrets and great glass.

This is a great option

This is a great option
Is the weight gonna be an issue for carrying around hunting? My rifles 8 pounds so this would add just over 2 pounds. Not sure if 10.5 lbs is pretty heavy for carrying around. I am over 6’ so it wouldn’t be as big of a burden.

My main hunting rifle is 10lbs on the nose with the suppressor, and a long gun with a 22” barrel and 9” can. We do a ton of hiking and hills in our hunting area, a typical day is about 8 miles. I hand carry it. This is the first year I stopped using a sling because it was just easier and quieter to carry the rifle. I’ll say that it was manageable but I’d be happy to have a lighter rifle. A good stock makes a big difference. Also having a lighter scope helps the wrists out if you’re going to hand carry since the weight isn’t as up high.

It doesn't really matter how big strong or in shape you are. Carrying weight is carrying weight. I think my rifle now is right at 10lbs full mag suppressor bipod and sling included. I think it was about 14 before the stock and scope change. I have carried one that weighed 15-17 all over the country side too. But i have never thought while hunting. Man, I wish this rifle was heavier. LOL

A lot of it depends on what kind of hunting you are doing too. To the stand or blind or coyote set up and back to the car, hiking for hours, driving around and blasting out the window. :ROFLMAO: Weight means different stuff to different people. I always assume the blast out the window guys are the one who pretend a rifle isn't "handy enough" if it has a barrel over 16". :ROFLMAO:

Probably a lot of the SFP or illuminated only for FFP hunting scopes don't live in the open parts off the west.