• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP worth the money for new long range shooter

aaron burks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
Low Gap AR
Looking at scopes just not sure if ffp scopes are worth the extra money for new shooter. The SSHD 5X20 and Bushnell HDMR seem like great scopes. Made the mistake of buying cheap now saving for a good optic for beginner. Thanx

Re: FFP worth the money for new long range shooter

Either one of those scopes would serve you well. You're making the right move by jumping into a scope where the reticle and turrets match.

As far as FFP being a requirment, its not however, i'm changing all of my scopes over to FFP, mil/mil. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Its nice knowing wherever I have my power adjusted to for conditions, the reticle is still accurate.

I have owned both and both will work fine, the SS is a little better glass IMHO, and mil-mil is the only way to go.

ffp is not a must but its nice. like posted earlier im changing all my scopes to ffp.

Agree that mil/mil is great if you are working with a spotter. If you are just shooting by yourself and ranging yourself, then as long as the turrets/reticle match (mil/mil or moa/moa) you should be good to go. How far is "long range" for your needs? A SPF optic would possibly have a finer retilce for shooting small targets or for groups. The FFP is also good for LR shooting but the reticle tends to be thicker and can be a disadvantage for small groups as it covers more. FFP really is great for comps when you are ranging at various distances and using various magnifications, b/c a mil is a mil no matter what power you are on. The SS is a fantastic optic.. have 2 myself. See if you can borrow a SFP and FFP from a buddy to compare features or look at the various "through the reticle" threads.. there are a few.

What is it that you want to do? Shoot at a known distance on static targets? Save your money and buy an SP optic.

The single biggest advantage to FFP is movers and reduced power.

Good luck

Thanx for the great info I currently have a savage 10fp 308.Started loading for it and shooting groups bout two years ago.I have shoot out to 700 yards with it but with current scope will not return to zero or hold zero now. So the scope is definitely what is holding me back. It is my goal to be able to take out a rifle with a good scope and range and make shot with nothing more than a pen and paper. Eventually would like to compete.

I agree with the above, its handy but not a must have.

I don't have a FFP, but have been shooting in multiple situations where I had to back my power down on my NXS and my markers were no longer useful. My next scope will be FFP.

If you can get FFP then get it. As you learned by going the cheap route the first time it's best to buy the right thing the first time. You will buy a SFP scope and after using it you will want a FFP scope and then you have to spend more money. Do it right this time and get a FFP scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ffp is not a must but its nice. like posted earlier im changing all my scopes to ffp. </div></div>
+1
I'm doing the same thing, because of the ability to range at any power on the scope ring.
As far as "worth the money", only you can tell.
SScott

For ranging its would be nice. I have been saving for 3 years for a rifle and a scope.....

I just decided to blow the whole wad on the scope.....

Unless your just benchrest shooting know distance targets or staying within 100 yards or so FFP is pretty useful. Hold over, especially for wind, and movers etc.

My best advice is to save and wait, save and wait, save and wait. Get everything you WANT, because in the end want=need especially if you desire to compete.

I don't see a relevance of FFP or SFP scopes to the price or quality. Almost all NightForce scopes are SFP and they are not exactly cheap.

I have always been an MOA and SFP scope guy. Whether I shoot a target airgun, a rimfire or a centerfire, the system is the same for me. Why mess up a good thing? Master what you have and go kill that target, whatever it is...

If you are at the advanced level where you have to range multiple or moving targets at various distance, or shoot with a spotter, then FFP is a great idea.

Little by little all my SFP scopes are being replaced with FFP Mil/Mil scopes. They work for me.

FFP all the way, or you could always get a fixed scope like a st-10

It's nice to have but not at all necessary.

FFP will most help the military or tactical shooter on moving targets with rapid exposure where the guy might have the scope on 6-8 power and want to use a mil hold.

It's not going to be necessary for the civilian starting out because they aren't likely to be shooting movers.

FFP seems to be a feature that has come more into vogue with the advent of higher magnification optics in tactical applications- IE the 3.5-10power with milling at 10X made some sense because really you're not able to see the scale very well at all past about 6, but when the scope is 18power you really don't want to walk around all the time with it set at 18 just so you can use the scale.

IE the M3A was a fixed 10x. The M110 I believe still uses a second focal plane optic.

I used to say FFP wasn't worth it...that is...until I got one and started using it. It is really, really handy and I absolutely don't want to go back to SFP.

That said, I contend SFP with a nice fine reticle is superior for simple target shooting such as F-class. The reticle ends up being finer at high magnification and helps you get centered up into a 1/2 MOA circle 600+ yards away.

The NF benchrest scopes have a LOT of potential to someone that spends their time on the "square" range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aaronb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at scopes just not sure if ffp scopes are worth the extra money for new shooter. The SSHD 5X20 and Bushnell HDMR seem like great scopes. Made the mistake of buying cheap now saving for a good optic for beginner. Thanx
</div></div>

Your'e asking a bunch of practical precision shooters that question??? That's like asking a bunch of fat women if they like chocolate,LOL

Yes in many instances they are worth the extra money. Most of my rifles have FFP now. I have a fleet of HDMR/h-59's because I like using holdovers/holdoffs for the most part. If I were primarily interested in dialing the dope I'd pick the SS 5-20 because of the 10 mil knobs.

I'll take my NF 2.5-10 SFP with LV ret over a low power'd FFP. The reticle gets small enough on low power that it bothers me on the FFP scopes. Just my personal preference.

Target/benchrest scopes with fine crosshairs/dots have their purpose too. Their overall versatility for a field scope is very limited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can get FFP then get it. As you learned by going the cheap route the first time it's best to buy the right thing the first time. You will buy a SFP scope and after using it you will want a FFP scope and then you have to spend more money. Do it right this time and get a FFP scope. </div></div>
Best answer so far. I looked into getting SFP, but a friend talked me into spending the extra money and getting a FFP... Well worth the money to me!

if you are a new shooter, as you state, then the way you learn now will be what you typically regress to ;

of course, you can learn 'new' things, like using the front focal plane advantages

but if you can afford the FFP now, then do it

may have been mentioned already, but some people don't like the fact that a FFP reticle gets smaller along with the magnification; some folks like a static reticle size (second focal plane or fixed power optic)

and for ranging using the reticle, most times you will be at the high variable setting , so that fact is not what should sway you, between the two , FFP or SFP,

where you make bank with FFP optic is that regardless of your variable power setting, the reticle will subtend the SAME -

and for instance at 25 yards, where you obviously need to zoom out/down to low power, with a second focal plane optic , your reticle would be way off (mil dot value wise) , and you may be thinking , heck the targets only 25 yards away, i wouldn't ranging it, well you are right , not ranging but remeber another function of a mil based reticle is holds, and so with a second focal plane optic, the mil's only subtend or measure correctly in the reticle at it's highes variable power setting
so on a low setting , a 8 mil hold high would NOT be 8 mils in value, savvy?

one trick to help alleviate this, for second focal plane optics owners is to figure out your half way setting, and use that , plus some math , there lots written on that , here on the Hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
one trick to help alleviate this, for second focal plane optics owners is to figure out your half way setting, and use that , plus some math , there lots written on that , here on the Hide </div></div>

IMHO - to truly be a skilled rifleman you need to be able to do things just like this. Same for effectively using a duplex for ranging and holds b/c you know how to fractionalize it. Effectively employ whatever is in your hands.

My first optic was a SP loopy - still have it, it sits on a .22. Shuffle them down over the years.

Waiting and accruing the cash for the primo stick is great and all, but getting a decent used set up and getting out there - actually shooting and learning to make what you have, make hits at a distance - is the point of the exercise.

Just me.

Good luck

I hate FFP variable optics; give me a fixed or SFP every time. I know my range because its either too f'in close or because I can read a map. My laser rangefinder binos will do the rest. I can do holdover out far enough because I know my round and anything further then I'll click in. You either have no time for a shot or loads of time. Never found mildots fast enough nor when there is plenty of time accurate enough, well no better than my own judgement or as good as aids like map, aerial photo, laser. For moving targets you give it a foot or two foot or whatever lead you need. What matters is practicing with your combination and not switching it all about all the time.

I also like a nice Plex or the Zeiss 60 dot; to me anything more is just clutter. Here is my sight info:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/IMG_4328-1.jpg

Other people do it differently, but my way works for me.

Part 11:

A high velocity rifle is pretty well at point blank out to 200m and with a tad bit of adjustment pretty well dead on out to 300m. Can't see the point of using any scope ranging under 300m. Shoot an all ranges range card to show your exact drop and then compensate for it.
Over 300m I've never found the "ranging" reticule features any more accurate than a good map or Google picture so long as you know where you are. If you have a laser rangefinder then all the reticules for ranging are redundant.

What I do like at high magnification is a nice small precise reticule to concentrate on. As for moving targets its all to do with practice until you get the feel for it (some people can get it others never can).

I suppose this argument will go on and on.

i prefer ffp, for alot of reasons. however if your on a budget and the optic doesn't have max power about 15ish sfp will work. ffp just eliminates possible errors by not compensating for what power you are on and accidently ranging or using the reticle for holdoffs.

if you ever have to shoot multiple targets at different distance you will like ffp better because you can be on a lower power shoot with wind and elevation holds. the lower power will give you larger fov which makes acquiring targets quicker.

if you don't use it for work or shoot matches with it either will work just fine.

Let's say your ffp optic has a max mag of 25x. When mirage is bad and you NEED to run it on 17x, the reticle is still accurate. No fomulas to plug in. If your impact is 0.5 mils right, dial 0.5 mils left. Its that simple. On a sfp you would need to run you power through a formula to figure out how far to adjust to account for the wind and make a second round hit. Nothing simple about that.

I rarely get the chance to run my optic at max mag. It usually runs between 12 and 20x due to mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aaronb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanx for the great info I currently have a savage 10fp 308.Started loading for it and shooting groups bout two years ago.I have shoot out to 700 yards with it but with current scope will not return to zero or hold zero now. So the scope is definitely what is holding me back. It is my goal to be able to take out a rifle with a good scope and range and make shot with nothing more than a pen and paper. Eventually would like to compete.</div></div>

If you are planning on competing do yourself a favor and get a Mil/Mil FFP. I went through the same thing you are going through and you will eventually end up there. Question is how much will it cost. (MOA/MOA FFP too. didnt mean to disrespect the MOA guys

Ok I'll ask a ?
I am also looking to up grade my glass I brought cheap early and now I want something better. I am looking at a FFP also in the 5.5 22 56 area with NF but they don't have one yet
who is making one with a FFP mil mil zero stops and reach out to 1200y and the seethe holes in the paper

any info would be great thanks

What's your price range?

Also don't expect to see holes in paper at 1200 yards.
wink.gif

I was in the same situation as you are. Personally I'd recommend the GAP HDMR FFP mil/mil through the GB on this site. I think a few slots are still open. Its a great buy and you cant help but trust a product that GAP puts their name. I'm big on paying for quality and buying once. If you are serious about this hobby then bite the bullet and get it outta the way. Thats my $.02....now if I can just decide between that Surgeon or Templar
smile.gif

2ish is what I am looking at for buying new glass as for seeing holes in paper at 1200y is wishing lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your price range?

Also don't expect to see holes in paper at 1200 yards.
wink.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My search foo not up to scratch.

Anybody got a linky for the above mentioned GB on the GAP HDMR </div></div>

Here

Tiger look at the link above for the HDMR, a SS 5-20x or a Vortex Razor would fill the need in that price range.

Thanks for all the information. I definitely will be saving the extra for one of the ffp models. The bushnell with the horus reticle intrigues me because of the speed of that system. Gonna save a coupla months and hopefully find a used hdmr here on the hide. This is a great site thanks to everyone for all the useful information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the above, its handy but not a must have.

I don't have a FFP, but have been shooting in multiple situations where I had to back my power down on my NXS and my markers were no longer useful. My next scope will be FFP.
</div></div>

Just made the move from an NXS to an F1. This was the main reason. I'd back off then have to move back in. I would "zoom" all the way back in after I found my target, costing me lots of time.

in a word yes. im pretty sure there have been some mistakes in range estimation under pressure in 2nd fp optics that were left on reduced power.

It used to be the case that 4x would give you enough magnification to get a sight picture out to 300m and 10x to at least 800m. That would be laughable now with the mega magnification scopes and magnum rounds that are reaching well beyond 1000m. Competitions are also demanding you to hit smaller and smaller targets.

However, I still think of my holdovers and windage, point of aim points, at the target end not on my plex/sights. Dialing in is dialing in. If I'm walking rounds on to a target then its the strikes that count. Just know your target size and what is six inches. However if you have been lying to the wife then you are not giving enough.

Thats how it is with me.

I'll take a look at them thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in a word yes. im pretty sure there have been some mistakes in range estimation under pressure in 2nd fp optics that were left on reduced power.</div></div>

Happens all the time and not just range estimation. Hold overs and wind as well. I have seen it many times.

For what its worth I prefer FFP over SFP. I jsut recently sold every SFP scope I had and went to FFP.

It is definitely worth saving for or spending extra money on a good ffp. I think a high quality glass is much more important than having a high dollar rifle and cheap or medium priced scope. To many people spend too much on the gun and too little on the optic. The investment in my s&b's was the best money I've spent for improving my skills