• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFS no longer for sale?

Mr_Happyface

Huge Dork
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Just checked to see if there are any recent updates. Lex Talus site said it’s no longer for sale.

Kind of surprised. FFS has been a great product for me.

Just checked to see if there are any recent updates. Lex Talus site said it’s no longer for sale.

Kind of surprised. FFS has been a great product for me.
It just doesn’t have the user base plus being a windows mobile only product makes it problematic for devices. @CoryT has the code and was looking for developers to bring it to android and iOS but it’s expensive to do and not sure the cost could be recovered.

Ah, ok. Was just getting ready to take my Nomad to antique roadshow and make a mint.

FFS is where it’s at though. Apps get all the glory now, but there’s nothing out there that can offer what FFS does. Unbelievable software.

I have been running FFS since 2013 and have been very happy. Cory hope you can get this done I don't want to change now...lol

Hi,

Good luck to Cory on getting developers to redevelop the windows based system to Android system!!

Ask me how I know getting windows operated ballistic program brought over to Android and iOS systems is a Great PITA!!!, lolol..

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LastShot300
Well, the engine is in C++ and I've moved everything to Visual Studio 2019 with no real problems but for the GPS interface. So, really what I need to do is redo the interface using Android forms rather than Windows forms. That is indeed a significant hurdle, as the way users interact in Android is not at all how Windows works. The current plan, once the paperwork is done, would be to resume sales of the WM product as we migrate to Android. I'm hopeful that can be done in a few months.

Well, the engine is in C++ and I've moved everything to Visual Studio 2019 with no real problems but for the GPS interface. So, really what I need to do is redo the interface using Android forms rather than Windows forms. That is indeed a significant hurdle, as the way users interact in Android is not at all how Windows works. The current plan, once the paperwork is done, would be to resume sales of the WM product as we migrate to Android. I'm hopeful that can be done in a few months.
Looked at Xamarin?

I wish you luck, like Theis said doing such work is a not easy and expensive. I've friends in the industry that keep telling me the same all the time. They usually do things over from scratch.

Hi,

Good luck to Cory on getting developers to redevelop the windows based system to Android system!!

Ask me how I know getting windows operated ballistic program brought over to Android and iOS systems is a Great PITA!!!, lolol..

Sincerely,
Theis
With Genesis coming down the road shortly, who cares about FFS anymore?

Ah, ok. Was just getting ready to take my Nomad to antique roadshow and make a mint.

FFS is where it’s at though. Apps get all the glory now, but there’s nothing out there that can offer what FFS does. Unbelievable software.
Have you been watching the Genesis thread? Lots of screenshots and based on Patagonia's engine. Cannot ask for much more for Android and iOS

Because options are a good thing. It breeds innovation instead of complacency
Yes indeed I ran FFS until CB come out and never looked back. First they discountinued the desktop version and second, they got stuck in the PDA world like dinosaurs, on the other hand Patagonia is always evolving with the available tech as the market requires it and with Genesis they evolved even more in the right direction. Hoplite and Patagonia together is certainly a nice and promising venture with lots of potential if they play right their cards

Yes indeed I ran FFS until CB come out and never looked back. First they discountinued the desktop version and second, they got stuck in the PDA world like dinosaurs, on the other hand Patagonia is always evolving with the available tech as the market requires it and with Genesis they evolved even more in the right direction. Hoplite and Patagonia together is certainly a nice and promising venture with lots of potential if they play right their cards
I wouldn’t exactly call Patagonia innovative. They’ve been stuck in the windows world as well and unwilling to adapt to mobile platforms with iOS or Android......until now.

I wouldn’t exactly call Patagonia innovative. They’ve been stuck in the windows world as well and unwilling to adapt to mobile platforms with iOS or Android......until now.
I beg to differ, yes they are Windows developers but they never got stuck into a certain age and technology like FFS did and their products are being constantly updated, their Windows Phone version was fantastic but that platform wasn't able to rise up and win over the other two, so they finally stepped into Android and iOS which is great news given what I read and saw about. Anyway, if FFS is now under new management all the better.

Eh, I kind of like my software on a different device than my phone. Plug some AAs into it and I’m good to go. Durable, removable commonly available batteries, and has actual buttons rather than touchscreen.

I can’t imagine anything being better than FFS. ‘Prettier’, and maybe more user friendly maybe, but as far as ability? Gonna be a while before someone can top it.

Reactions: Bulletsmith
@CoryT what happened to Lex Talus? Did Blaine decide to retire? Something else? I have been a loyal and very pleased FFS user since 2009, and want to continue to use this feature rich software if I can, and not on a phone!

I beg to differ, yes they are Windows developers but they never got stuck into a certain age and technology like FFS did and their products are being constantly updated, their Windows Phone version was fantastic but that platform wasn't able to rise up and win over the other two, so they finally stepped into Android and iOS which is great news given what I read and saw about. Anyway, if FFS is now under new management all the better.
Have both FFS and CB and although the CB Desktop version is nice never use it in the field. Good firing solutions never get dated and FFS will do more than any other ballistic software out there. The Windows platform is old but it is stable and the Trimble units are built like tanks. Phones are quirky and personally don't like relying on apps on my phone. List another app out there that can tether to a PLRF and provide accurate solutions with the push of a button and build range cards which will recalculate at a different FFP. That is an addition to build multiple profiles with offsets and a great tools for calibrating. Frankly I don't give a crap if its old technology or not only if its stable and accurate.

Reactions: aam and lash
Blaine has some personal things going on that are causing him to step back from the software business. We intend to pick up the product and continue it here, as it's much too good to let it disappear. The excellent Nautiz X8 is still available with WM 6.5, and we plan to work with them on a similar unit running Android as we go forward. In fact, the X8 can be switched to Android with a simple reboot process by the user. Phones may be fine for casual users, but they are not field rugged serious user platforms.

One of the strong points of using WM6 still is the solid, simple and reliable system the rugged handhelds provide. I realize that a $1500 ballistic computer is not for everyone, but neither is a $12K laser range finder, a $10K clip-on NVD and a $3k rifle scope on top of a $6k rifle shooting ammo at $5 a round.

FFS is a feature rich system that delivers solutions more accurate than can be applied. The basic functions are quite simple to use, but it will provide answers to just about any rifle ballistics questions you might ask, if you take the time to learn the system.

While Microsoft lost the mobile operating system wars, that does not mean Android or iOS are automatically better platforms for a ballistic software program. In the end, a ballistic program is a fancy calculator, you input some numbers and get another number back as an answer. The visual presentation is really only about making the fields and functions you need to access easy to find/navigate.

No doubt that many mobile applications benefit from the touch interface/fancy graphics/device independence provided by the new OS's, but does it really help a ballistic program? When the answer to the question is a few numerical values, I'd have to say no.

So, while we plan to move forward onto a new OS, it's not because new is better.

I knew this day would come with my past interactions and talks with Blaine. It was simply a matter of time unfortunately.

For what it's worth to the folks out there running FFS, the last update was 4.8.1.16.

See these update instructions while they are still active. Another words, ASAP! I say this because I do not want to link off-site to "preserve anything" as I am sure that wouldn't be appreciated.