• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report FGMM 175 SMK Velocity

InTraining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Northwest, Montana
Anyone have actual chronograph data for above round from a unmodified Remington SPS Varmint .308, 12" twist rifle? I'm trying to develop my drop chart and confirm actual recorded data.

Thanks, Darin

Re: FGMM 175 SMK Velocity

Darin,

Here's a post from another thread by member <span style="font-weight: bold">EODsix</span> that should get you pretty close.

<span style="font-style: italic">"BTW, the muzzle velocity of 43.5gr of RL-15 2645fps
Muzzle velocity of the M118LR I have on hand 2645fps
<span style="font-weight: bold">Muzzle velocity of the Fed GMM 175gr BTHP I have 2645fps</span>
at 400ft above sea level at 50 degrees temp from a Remington M24 with a <span style="font-weight: bold">24" barrel"</span>.</span>

-Pat

Start with 2640 or so and then adjust it in your ballistic software based on actual comeups for the environmental conditions for that day (or hour). That gets you close. Its going to change as station pressure changes.

In our book, we have ballistic table (comeups and wind) to 1000 yds with 175gr at 2600, and the USMC pages we did for some MIL units, we have it at their baseline 2640-2643 to 1000M, with comeups, retained velocity, time of flight, and wind effects.

Enjoy it. I wish I had some 175, I have tons of 168 I have to use up first...

What about out of a 20" barrel? I shoot the FGMM 175s out of an R-25. Does anybody have a ballpark velocity out of a 20" barrel?

Please and Thank You

My 20" with 168 was about 2540fps standard conditions, so with 175 maybe estimate a little slower and work the data from there. Your MV will change depending on environmental conditions of course, but this is just a starting point.

Thanks. I'll try it at 2400fps and go from there. On the back of the box it says 2600 but I guess that's with a longer barrel and at optimum conditions.

You can start higher than 2400. Get your zero, then go back to 400 or 500 (yd/M), put the estimated firing solution on the turrets, get a good group, then determine if you are right on, or high or low. If high or low, just calculate the difference in MOA or MIL, and then adjust your software program for the new comeups, and the muzzle velocity will be then updated to the correct MV in the program.

Then try those revised comeups on your turrets at the different distances with good groups at each, and if you verify they are right on, then you have good comeup data and velocity for that location and weather conditions for that session.

I write down several conditions for each location in my Elevation and Ballistics (come-ups) page for each season. This gives a good baseline for my rifle at different locations (with corresponding environmental conditions). Even with all the portable software programs and weather meters, its good to have a hard copy book or notes handy in case the gadgets go south...

My SPS Tactical with the factory 20" barrel pushes the 175 SMK's @ about 2600 with Varget with standard weather.

I do have about 400-600 rounds down the tube in-case it makes a difference.