• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FGMM Nickel Brass?

ECH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
East Bay Area, CA
I got 21 boxes of once fired FGMM brass from a guy here in NorCal. He has no place to reload so he gives his brass away after our monthly matches. I don't have any reason to doubt him when he said it is all FGMM. When I started to tumble the brass prior to sizing, I found that of the 21 boxes there were 5-6 where the brass was a different color. Same headstamp and caliber, but the brass looked like it was made from nickel, not brass. Any idea why this is so? Also, would the nickel be safe to load or should I just put it away. Thanks in advance.
f4mnvt.jpg

Re: FGMM Nickel Brass?

i have about 140 of the nickeled FC brass that were policed off the range. it sized very nicely but have not shot them yet. i have been told that the nickeled FC brass comes from special match ammunition but i know nothing more than that.

i have reloaded a bunch of .223 nickeled brass and it worked just fine. nice and slick. note that one of them destroyed my gracey trimmer's tool steel cutters. replaced it with a giraud cutter and was GTG.

nickel will flake off and give you problems

When you trim nickel plated brass, it will dull a cutter head in short order at least on my Redding 2400 case trimmer. It's just fine for reloading but I'd recommend a trim die.