• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing fiberglass stock question

cooperjd

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
alexandria, VA
quick question for y'all..

i ordered my first replacement stock for a rifle, i will be dropping my rem700 .338RUM into a bell and carlson alaskan II fiberglass stock.

it appears that it is a pressure pad stock in the forend in the pics i've seen (stock arrives in 2 days). i want to remove that and free float the barrel. just in case the barrel channel will need some light work, i may have to remove some material there as well.

so, my question is... do i need to do anything special to the fiberglass after sanding? do i need to put a thin coat of resin on it? or touch it up with some paint?

thanks for your help

Re: fiberglass stock question

I've done quite a bit of this type of thing. I feel like the fiberglass is OK left as is, BUT, I have always sealed it none the less. If I'm painting the stock I paint the channel (but NOT any bedding and make sure there is clearance). If the stock is pre finished I mix up some Acraglas and brush a thin layer on. Some stocks have a foam fill in the forend (Brown Prec, MPI, etc). If you sand through to the foam it is best to go a little farther and lay some fiberglass cloth in the channel. To do this, brush the area with Acraglass, lay in the cloth and brush again to saturate the cloth.