• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report field results with Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF

cali_tz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal
I wanted to test limits of the Bushnell Elite 1500 laser range finder (LRF). Took it out to an abandoned air force base yesterday where finally I could find alot of uninterrupted flat land with some structures at appropriate distances.

Result is I could range the control tower at a max distance of 1675 yards, but I could not get a reflection back at any distance beyond that, for example 1700 yards. The tower was painted a light yellow which is favourable for IR reflection, supposedly.

Now the tower is a pretty tall structure, so I tried some smaller buildings around 10 ft tall. The surprising discover came when I was ranging one of these smaller bldgs at around 600 yards, and a distance of 1280 came up. Turns out that the IR pulse was reflecting off a street sign at that distance way behind the buildng. This street sign was a square yield sign and you know how small those are, at that distance, compared to a 10 ft trailer like bldg.

So clearly if you can have a high reflection gain target to point at, you can get pretty good results from this cheap (compared to Vectronix for example) unit. I suspect with a large enough retroreflective target you could get this Bushnell to hit a mile of range. Even though the specs say up to 1600 yards, it's firmware is not limited to that range if you can get enough IR signal back to the sensor. So my plan is to shop around for surplus high reflectivity signs from the city here and setup it next to my steel and then set up ranges back from that.

Also if you are looking at building a WiFi wireless range camera... we tested a reasonably directional Wifi client with a 11n router and only to 650 yards before the signal got too weak. So to get Wifi to get out to a mile, for example, we'll need more power and/or very directional antennae.

Re: field results with Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF

Thanks for the review. I haven't tested my Bushnell 1500 to the max yet, but it has never had a problem ranging trees and other less reflective targets out to 1200 yards or so. The cheapy Nikon 500 yard rangefinder I had before it had trouble with anything over 300 yards or so. I've been happy with my Bushnell.

Field test data from my Bushnell 1500:

Greatest range to vegetation: 982 yards (dense cedar thicket)
Greatest range to bare deciduous trees: 960 yards
Greatest range to something furry: 775 yards (Black Angus cow)
Greatest range to grassy hillside: 660 yards
Greatest range to bare earthen hillside: 460 yards (red clay berm)
Greatest range from anything: 1551 yards to a water tower

update: was out this weekend and used a 2'x4' piece of foam board covered 8 sheets of 3M retrereflector, most of them were the DG or Diamond Grade (their highest gain reflector) variety.

I was able to range this foam board very quickly at 999 yards, but could not get enough signal back from a 18x28 steel (white paint) target another 5-10 yards farther up the hill. I know we aren't expecting deer or bear to have retroreflective coats or signs on them, but for setting out steel and accurately ranging it, it seems like this technique could help with the cheaper LRFs. Soon I will be where I can set this 2x4 foam board out to a mile and see where the Bushnell can range to on flat land. Will report back.