• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Field scope level

notme

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
TX
Needing some input on a scope level for the range/field. I have used a couple on other peoples rifles (can't remember the brand) however, am considering the Sinclair scope level http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5541/s

Any other suggestions or feedback on the aforementioned item?

Re: Field scope level

I don't like the design of this level as I would never want to look above my optics to see if its level before I shoot! the base mounted designs work best for "in your face" leveling while keeping a good cheek weld.....just my 2 cents

I use the USO rail mounted that is NONswivel.....it really doesn't stick out that far and won't catch on anything more than your side focus turret will....

I have the sinclair type, and I like it.

I put it just ahead of the power zoom ring. I also like that it's easily adjustable. The rail mount ones assume your rail is perfectly level and sometimes require shims.

my scope has the level built in. line the bubble up with the lower part of the cross hair and your good to go.

I prefer the fixed USO over the swivel. I was never able to keep the swivel one from working loose on my WSM. I picked up the fixed one and it does not stick out any further than the parallax knob on my scope and the fixed won't budge.

Thanks again for your time and information.
This is going on a Remington 700 LTR .308, Near Mfg. base and rings, and NF 3.5-15x50
I will check my rail to make sure that it is indeed level and make a decision.

I use the rail mounted one. I would think that even if the rail is not perfectly level, that makes no difference, provided you always have the level indicating the same when you take the shot. Repeatability of setup is the key here, not absolute positioning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think that even if the rail is not perfectly level, that makes no difference, provided you always have the level indicating the same when you take the shot.</div></div>

That is true, but having to put a level mark (indicator) on my level seems like a broken process.

Plus, when I move my scopes between rifles, the bubble follows. And if it was set correctly, I don't have to put another indicator mark on it.

I run the US Optics levels, one fixed and one swivel. I like the fixed much better.

My first level was a scope mount and it worked, but with the US Optics, I can see the level with my left eye without ever having to move my head. I find it much more uesable in the field than the scope mounted ones.