• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Field Scope vs Swaro vs Zeiss vs Leica

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
As the title says I am looking to see if the Nikon is comparable or close to the other 3.

I tried the search function and I cannot find anything as to the likes. Not saying it isn't there, I just couldn't find it.

I'm looking for real feed back not SWAGS. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Field Scope vs Swaro vs Zeiss vs Leica

We did a test a few years back with a bunch of students and found it is subjective. We set out almost all the optics we could find (about 17 different brands) and people got behind them and looked at different objects through each optic and gave us their impression.

Not a blind test, but the results were pretty surprising. Some people preferred the Pentax/Nikons over the Euro brands.

While we can argue physics and light emission and exit pupil and dollars/left nut paid for optics etc., there is really no other way to make a call except you getting behind each scope and seeing for yourself.

The big three (Leica/Swaro/Zeiss) are tops for a reason, and they do deliver. Nikons do a pretty good job but is not the same (for my eyes).

In optics you will not get something for nothing.

I agree with what you are saying...

I was curious however, as I am in need of a spotter and I have an inside line on a good price for a Nikon Field Scope.

But.... I would rather spend once than spend twice.

I haven't had the pleasure of looking through the 3 Euro's that you mention, however I do own a Fieldscope ED III which I am very happy with. At 25x the images are very bright and crisp. At 45x, the images do lose a little brightness from 25x but are still very clear and crisp. Here are some indications of it's performance from a few things that I looked at this evening around 7pm this evening. Definitely not full daylight with sunset at 7:29pm.

568yds - Could clearly see the eyeballs on turkeys at 45x

782yds - Saw a service guy at someone's house wearing a shirt with 2 patches over each of his breast pockets. I could see the lettering and distinguish that one had 2 rows of lettering, but could not read it.

1497yds - On 45x I could clearly see single strands of weeds growing on a pillar of an old train bridge.

1 mile + I was watching a groundhog in an open field and could clearly see when he raised his head from eating while still on all fours.

I'm not sure if any of this indicates a good scope, but I would imagine some can't distinguish this stuff. Overall, I would highly recommend one, the ED version that is. Someday, I would like to try and take advantage of the capability to attach a camera. I'm guessing the Euro glass is probably better, but also at considerably more money. If you get one, I doubt you will regret the decision.