• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Field Test: SS 5-20 HD vs. Vortex Razor HD 5-20

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Introduction</span>:
</span>
I've had my Vortex Razor for about 10 months now and it has definitely become the standard by which I judge other scopes. It has some things that I'm less than thrilled with, but more than makes up for its weaknesses with the fact that it is built like a tank and has an awesome (if a little thick for my tastes) reticle. It does NOT have the ocular upgrade, and will go to Vortex for that work now that I have another scope, so some outcomes may be different, dependent upon that upgrade. I will update this thread if any significant changes are noted.

I've gone through a few scopes in the last few months looking for a less expensive alternative to the Razor. Ideally with all the same features, for less cost. Without question, a tall order. The 6-24 PST seemed like the ideal candidate, but in addition to being a little short on internal elevation, it left me less than confident that it would hold up to long term everyday use. I tried a Weaver 3-15 Tactical, which I loved. It was *almost* perfect for my criteria, but lacked the magnification on the high end I was looking for. I would still have that scope, though, if SWFA had not come out with the new SS 5-20 HD.

If the price had been $1500, I may still have the Weaver. I'd have a difficult time justifying 2x price for 33% more magnification. But the SH/SWFA group buy price made it a no-brainer. I ordered mine the minute FB hit 5000 likes and received the scope on June 28.

I promised Chris that I'd do a side-by-side with my Razor when I got the SS, so here goes:

(Disclaimer: as I stated in my review on the PST's and Weaver, I am not an optics expert and I don't do scope reviews for a living. But I am a photographer and a shooter and an ex-engineer, so I have given my best shot of communicating to the rest of you, as objectively as possible, my impressions as I used and looked through these scopes side-by-side. This is not meant to be an exhaustive review of each scope, but rather what I described: my impression from using them side-by-side in one sitting.)

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Testing:</span></span>

When most people think of scope performance, they think optics. I don't. For the most part, if I can see through it, I can use it if it does its mechanical job the way it should.

Tracking and adjustment accuracy, reticle design, mechanical robustness and industrial design are far more important to me than optical performance (with a few exceptions... as I've said many times... if you're hunting in low light or identifying threats in a darkened window or doorway at distance, you have special needs. Most of us do not fall in this category.)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tracking and Adjustment Accuracy</span>

After verifying that the scopes were indeed level in the rings on each rifle, I set the rifles in a vise at 100 +-.5 yds from a 10 mil x 5 mil grid that is plumb and level. The crosshairs are centered on the "zero" intersection. The scope is run up 10 mils, down 10 mils and left/right 5 mils. Then the same grid is used to determine the accuracy of the reticle as well as whether the reticle is plumb and level in the scope tube.

Results:

SS 5-20 HD - perfect
Razor HD 5-20 - perfect
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Reticle Design.</span>

This is a very subjective topic. In this case both the reticles were very useable and unobtrusive. Both of them would allow a shooter to engage targets and hold for wind or elevation without confusion. I do prefer the thickness of the SS over the Razor, but prefer the hashed reticle of the Razor over the "diamonds" on the SS. YMMV.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mechanical Robustness.</span>

Again, very subjective at this point (due to the lack of history) but both of these scopes send the same message loud and clear: Stout. They both have an overwhelming sense of strength and robustness.

The Razor to date, has borne this out. The SS will have to prove itself with time.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Industrial Design.</span>

By ID, I am addressing the user controls and layout. Does the scope have a layout and controls that help or hinder a shooter.

I really did not like the location of the illumination knob on the Weaver 3-15. But apparently I got used to it, because the illumination knob on the SS not only did not bother me, I actually prefer it now to the location on the Razor. The SS is a little more streamlined for it and it falls more naturally under the hand than one located on the ocular.

Both have the handy "off" setting between each level... a nice touch.

Both scopes have very nice, albeit very different turrets. The Razor is 5 mil/rev and when compared to the SS, the adjustments seem really far apart. But they are VERY distinct and there is never a question about where you are on the knob.

The SS is 10 mil/rev. I love that. I shoot over 1500 yds. often and trying to keep track of all those revolutions can be dizzying. The Razor has an excellent zero stop, which helps a lot, but 10 mil/rev. is an enormous upgrade for me. One downside to the closely spaced adjustments was that combined with just the slightest amount of backlash, or slop, there were a couple times when I got lost between "0" and "-.1" mils. This is not a huge deal, but it did get my attention. It's possible that I received one that is just on the edge of spec, or out of spec in this regard, and will be interesting to see if others experience this phenomenon. Other than that little quirk, the turrets on the SS are nothing short of amazing. Great audible and physical feedback. Good knob ergonomics. SWFA did their homework here.

The magnification ring on the SS is really hard to find and turn without breaking cheekweld. A cattail will become standard fair. The Razor mag ring is a little stiff, but the rubber ring sets it apart from the rest of the ocular and makes it possible to change while looking through the scope.

Other than that, all controls worked as required and did not bring significant notice to themselves.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optical Performance.
</span>
For this segment of the evaluation, I placed the following chart at 100 yds.

usaf1951x180.gif

What I looked for here was the smallest set of 3 bars that the scope could resolve as well as general attributes such as edge sharpness, overall brightness and contrast chromatic aberration and edge to edge sharpness.

Both scopes were set at 20x and were 100 yds. from the target.

Razor - could resolve down to the "5" in the "-2" row (dead center of chart). Good brightness and contrast. Good line sharpness. Overall sharpness and focus begins to fall off about 60% of the way between the aiming point and edge of FOV. Significant Chromatic aberration that moves quickly from red on one edge to blue on the other if the eye is moved even slightly behind the occular. This scope is very hard to get a sight picture with on 20x. (Vortex is fully aware of this issue and has redesigned the ocular as a free upgrade. When this scope is retrofitted, I will post an update)

SS 5-20 HD - could easily resolve down to the "5" in the "-2" row (dead center of chart)and depending on atmospherics, could resolve the "6" bars. This scope was nothing short of amazing when it came to optical performance. Crisp. Sharp. Bright. Contrasty. No chromatic aberration that I could detect. Simply amazing for a sub-$1000 scope (more that once this scope reminded me of the Weaver 3-15. I would not doubt they share some heritage). Final note here... the SS was a *LOT* less stressful to shoot groups with. I noticed that when I'm really concentrating for extended sessions, the Razor leaves me drained. The SS did not. And perhaps coincidentally, but probably not, I shot the tightest 5 round group I've ever shot with the first 5 rounds after zeroing the SS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion</span>

I have to say that I was quite pleasantly surprised by just how well the SS stacked up against the much more expensive Razor. I'm always suspicious of "hype", but in this case, it would seem warranted. There may be specific needs that require the use of features on the Razor (such as zero stop or the additional elevation), but overall I cannot imagine why anyone would need to pay the extra for a Razor when they could own a SS 5-20 HD for less than $1500. The only question mark is longevity and long-term reliability... The SS line has a lot going for it, but this scope must still earn its stripes in this area. Still, I would not hesitate to highly recommend this scope.

John

Re: Field Test: SS 5-20 HD vs. Vortex Razor HD 5-20

John,

I highly appreciate you doing this, giving a side by side comparison, but I would like to know, at what point, myself or Jon, "hyped" this scope, what in our reviews of it gave you the impression we "hyped" this.

I don' t mean this in a negative way, but in order to finesse my reviews so they don't sound like hype.

Was it just a case of the member clamoring for this before they shipped or something else in the process that make it appear we "hyped" the product. I understand in hindsight with more and more hands on this scope our initial assessment is holding true, but I honestly would like to know what part of it was hyped as several people have used this term.

Thanks, again, I am sure everyone appreciates this side by side, as I know I do. To me it validates what was said, but I always worry about being thought of as hyping something that may or may not warrant it.

Frank,

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I thought it was hype. That is not the case. There has been a fairly consistent reaction here in recent history to "pre-release" marketing being "hype". I was simply parroting the terminology as it has become common usage. Wrong or right.

It is not my opinion that anyone, Jason, Jon, yourself or Chris made any statements that were inflated or overblown without delivering, which would be *my* definition of the word "hype".

John

Nice write up. I've seen people using the word hype with Frank's review. I didn't see that, I though you were very fair in stating your feeling that this was an excellent optic for the money. Is that hype? I don't think so. I think we should take hype to mean that the public is hyped up to get their hands on this thing. Don't take it personal. I am glad you are taking a professional position and trying to get feedback on your review to present it as neutral as possible. Then again, when something is good and works for you how can you be neutral while giving a good review?

I...I....I try my best not to whine bu you guys make it so hard!!! I want my scope
frown.gif
haha

in Frank's video review i saw no "hype" in the derrogatory sense of the word. you know, none of that building the scope up to be something it could not live up to being all for the sake of making a sale for swfa.

his review did create alot of "hype" or "stir" in a good sense of the word. it also got watchers "hyped" up or "amped" up toward purchasing a quality product based upon his experience and technical knowledge on the subject.

i'm really enjoying the positive reviews to back franks review. it's making the wait for mine both easier, AND harder. easier because i know my money will have been well spent. harder, because i want this thing ASAP!

looking forward to more reviews...

Yep, I think the hype came from the excitement of the members. I know I was super excited as this is the first optic where I didn't feel I was having to comprimise in some area due to cost. I finally feel like I own a serious piece of glass.
grin.gif

John,

You did an outstanding job reviewing the 2 scopes. Thanks for your time.

Thanks guys...

I regret even using the word hype. It's not really what I meant to convey. I think what I was trying to communicate is that I don't buy anything because it's the latest rage, or so-and-so endorses it. I try really hard to buy the best equipment for the dollar that will do the job for ME. Not everyone else. And if you ask my opinion about what is best for you, I'll ask, "what are you going to use it for?" so I can best guide you to what will work for you. I watched for months as the answer to every "which scope should I buy?" question was answered by "Viper PST" because it was the scope of the month. This is what I try to avoid.

I bought a SS 5-20 HD because I thought there was a high degree of probability of being satisfied with it for what I want to do. Did I take Frank and Jon and Jason's reviews into account? Absolutely. But I also used a number of other weighting factors that may or may not be obvious to some that made the risk seem low. I am not disappointed and hats off to SWFA for making a scope that not only meets my needs and my budget, but throws fuel on the fire for the argument that a lot of "tactical" scopes are far more expensive than they need to be.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One downside to the closely spaced adjustments was that combined with just the slightest amount of backlash, or slop, there were a couple times when I got lost between "0" and "-.1" mils. </div></div>

Can you expand on this please? Are you saying you didn't hit zero and went to "-.1" or the zero doesn't line up on "0"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One downside to the closely spaced adjustments was that combined with just the slightest amount of backlash, or slop, there were a couple times when I got lost between "0" and "-.1" mils. </div></div>

Can you expand on this please? Are you saying you didn't hit zero and went to "-.1" or the zero doesn't line up on "0" </div></div>

When zeroed at 100 yds., the "0" sat *just* to the left of the hash mark when at the leftmost of its travel, or freeplay. When at the rightmost, there is just enough slop, or freeplay, for the -.1 mark to *almost* align with the hash, making it unclear, unless I played with the turret to see where it centered, as to where it was really set.

In other words, at any given "click", there is enough free movement, combined with how close the adjustments are due to the 10 mil/rev., to *possibly* cause some confusion as to where the elevation was actually set. Windage does not seem to exhibit the same phenomenon.

Does that make it clearer?

Like I said... unclear whether this is representative or not. I plan on contacting SWFA to ask the question. But it wasn't *that* big of deal to me.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One downside to the closely spaced adjustments was that combined with just the slightest amount of backlash, or slop, there were a couple times when I got lost between "0" and "-.1" mils. </div></div>

Can you expand on this please? Are you saying you didn't hit zero and went to "-.1" or the zero doesn't line up on "0" </div></div>

When zeroed at 100 yds., the "0" sat *just* to the left of the hash mark when at the leftmost of its travel, or freeplay. When at the rightmost, there is just enough slop, or freeplay, for the -.1 mark to *almost* align with the hash, making it unclear, unless I played with the turret to see where it centered, as to where it was really set.

In other words, at any given "click", there is enough free movement, combined with how close the adjustments are due to the 10 mil/rev., to *possibly* cause some confusion as to where the elevation was actually set. Windage does not seem to exhibit the same phenomenon.

Like I said... unclear whether this is representative or not. I plan on contacting SWFA to ask the question. But it wasn't *that* big of deal to me.

John </div></div>

Much clearer, thanks! Great job on the write up. I can't wait to get my two and compare them to my IOR 3.5-18x50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys...

I regret even using the word hype. It's not really what I meant to convey.

John </div></div>

it wasn't your context in your review. this stems from the main group buy thread. there was some bickering about the word hype and it's etymology/definition, basically.

Very nice review. Lowlight, I've been reading your reviews for many years and have bought products you've recommended. I've never even seen "overly enthusiastic" let alone hype in your reviews. Its one of the reasons I spend time here rather than reading gun magazines and I bet I'm not alone on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys...

I regret even using the word hype. It's not really what I meant to convey.

John </div></div>

it wasn't your context in your review. this stems from the main group buy thread. there was some bickering about the word hype and it's etymology/definition, basically. </div></div>

Ah... that helps. I didn't follow all of that and was a little surprised that of everything I wrote, that was the hot button... I know it was a highly used word with regard to the PST "phenomenon" though.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One downside to the closely spaced adjustments was that combined with just the slightest amount of backlash, or slop, there were a couple times when I got lost between "0" and "-.1" mils. </div></div>

John </div></div>

if you go just past the mark and then back it back to zero, does this remove play? or can this even be done being you mention this exhibits itself at leftmost and rightmost (lockout) i believe?

I have a similar issue on mine except its on the windage knob. Don't think mine is quite as bad though as I can use it just fine.

very good review sir. ty for doing it. I had a hard time deciding myself but in the end i sold my razor and ordered the super sniper. your making me feel better about my decision lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One downside to the closely spaced adjustments was that combined with just the slightest amount of backlash, or slop, there were a couple times when I got lost between "0" and "-.1" mils. </div></div>

John </div></div>

if you go just past the mark and then back it back to zero, does this remove play? or can this even be done being you mention this exhibits itself at leftmost and rightmost (lockout) i believe? </div></div>

No, it would seem that my elevation turret does not "settle" firmly into a solid notch, but allows some (I would estimate about .075 mil) movement rotationally. It will stick on either extreme without self-centering.

I know there is a lot of sensitivity to "outing" vendors and manufacturers without contacting them first here, and that was not my intent. It really was not a big deal to me, but obviously has hit a hot button with some of you. I will call SWFA first thing in the A.M. and see what they have to say about it.

John

What is SWFA's policy on warranty's for the SS? I never thought to ask before ordering. Is it a lifetime warranty? Sorry if this is a retarded question. Thank you for the great review! If I remember correctly the Weaver and PST could only resolve down to the #3 line so this thing has me pretty excited that you could get to #6!!!

John,

I really enjoyed the write up you have posted here. I have messed with mine and actually did a look through the barrel and adjust the scope at 100 yards until I can fine tune the scope when I go shoot it. I have not noticed the off mark +1 mil 0 or -1 mil. With mine I'm at 1.5 mark and with this in mind I see no need for a zero stop yet. Once again nice write up.

Aron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is SWFA's policy on warranty's for the SS? I never thought to ask before ordering. Is it a lifetime warranty? Sorry if this is a retarded question. Thank you for the great review! If I remember correctly the Weaver and PST could only resolve down to the #3 line so this thing has me pretty excited that you could get to #6!!!</div></div>

Warranty should be Lifetime warranty like the other products they have to offer. I would make no sense other wise.

Aron-

Thanks for the review, jrob.

My SS also has a bit of slop on the elevation turret. Sometimes I fiddle with it a bit to be sure that I'm at 0 instead of +.1. The 10 mils per turn does make the clicks really close together.

LL and John,

Excellent reviews by you both. Personally didnt see any "hype" from either one of you. Just a no BS assessment of the hardware. Really appreciate the time that everyone has put into this. It made my decision swift and easy.

I think the only hype was the frenzy of anticipation that resulted once orders were placed.

Thanks again,

Jim

LL and JonA

Thanks for the reviews. The reviews you all have provided were outstanding and as always, very objective. Since manufacturers and distributors are providing test scopes, I'm sure they want you to say nothing but positive things about their products, however I feel confident that I will hear/read honest remarks from you all. I stopped trusting magazine reviews after working for companies that had products that would be "featured in magazines" as a hot new product when really we were paying them to write an article about our product. Reviews like yours offer more value IMO. You sell the steak instead of the sizzle.
smile.gif

John - I was saving up for a Razor so I DEFINITELY appreciate you taking the time to review the two. At half the price (with the groupbuy), the SS was a no brainer but I still wondered if I made the right decision. I appreciate you confirming my decision. Great review...especially with the Optical Performance test!

Thanks for the excellent review - I really appreciated the grid check and the line resolution check. Also, I drew NO negatives from the use of the word "hype".

Several big ATTABOYS!

Thanks for the comments guys.

The small question surrounding the turrets alignment (which I really think is trivial, but would have felt a bit disingenuous had I not mentioned it)seems to have taken the focus away from the main point of the review: this is a very, very good scope. I did speak with Brady @ SWFA and he said a little movement was normal, but was either comparable or less than that found in other 10 mil/rev scopes scopes. I would *much* rather have the elevation turret of my SS 5-20, just the way it is, than the one found on the PH 5-25 MTC. The elevation turret is rock solid in position on my Razor, but I would still prefer the small, more tactile 10 mil/rev. turret, even with a little movement. All personal preference.

If there indeed turns out to be something awry with my scope, I'm confident SWFA will make it good, and if not, I'm still quite content to hold onto it (this coming from a guy who's on his 7th scope in less than 3 years. I think I've found another keeper). When you consider the number of design constraints on a scope of this complexity in this pricepoint, the amazing thing is that there are not *more* obvious compromises. Name one other 30mm, 30 mil elevation, 4x magnification FFP, illuminated, 10 mil/rev scope at *any* cost. Let alone under $1500.

Hmmm... crickets.

I think SWFA did an outstanding job of bringing a very high-performance scope with ground-breaking features to this price range. I suspect there is much grumbling in Scopeville tonight. The good news is that we will all benefit as competition makes everyone up their game.

John

Thanks jrob300, I too have a Razor and ordered the SS5-20 because I didn't have the money for another Razor and tought I would try this out sounds like I won't be disappointed with my purchase.

Thanks Jrob. Excellent review. Makes me feel VERY good about my decision to cancel the Vortex PST (after waiting over 13mos) and purchasing this scope instead.

Great review.
I have both scopes, and must say if I had to pick only one, it would be the Razor.(this is my non professional opinion only). In my opinion the Razor feels slightly more solid, I prefer the EBR-2 reticle over the Mil Quad reticle. My SS 5-20 has a little play in the elevation and windage turrets where as my Razor has none. I prefer the magnification ring on the Razor as opposed to the SS's. My razor has the new I box so no issues there.
In the end their both great scopes for the money, and I'm glad I have one of each.

John</div></div>

Thanks for the review. Please let us know SWFA's reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I did speak with Brady @ SWFA and he said a little movement was normal, but was either comparable or less than that found in other 10 mil/rev scopes scopes.</div></div>

About 5 posts up...

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did speak with Brady @ SWFA and he said a little movement was normal, but was either comparable or less than that found in other 10 mil/rev scopes scopes. </div></div>

Sounds like the SS is a great scope for the money, but this quote is pure BS. None of my NF's have any play in them (high speed 10 mil knobs) nor did my USO (9 mils).

Regardless, not here to shit on anyone but I saw this and my BS flag went up
laugh.gif
Hope the SS continues to please you!

I may or may not have understood Brady correctly. I didn't record the conversation. I have not personally had the pleasure of fondling the NF HS turrets, so I couldn't say one way or another. And I do not intend on getting into the position of "defending" SWFA. I just responded to the question about what SWFA said.

It would be appropriate for someone from SWFA to respond to this thread to set the record straight.

John

Nice review JRob... A lot of people are curious of how these two stack up to each other.

Have to finish reading later but looks like a good review, thanks man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may or may not have understood Brady correctly. I didn't record the conversation. I have not personally had the pleasure of fondling the NF HS turrets, so I couldn't say one way or another. And I do not intend on getting into the position of "defending" SWFA. I just responded to the question about what SWFA said.

It would be appropriate for someone from SWFA to respond to this thread to set the record straight.

John </div></div>

Thanks,John for the review BTW!

As most of us know,every scope out there has a few (perceived or actual) weaknesses.It sounds like the 5-20SS is a great scope with hardly any weaknesses so far.It was wrong timing for me with the group buy but sometime in the future I'd like to have one.

I'm very impressed with the F1 but there's still things I'd like to see done differently on them,like the illumintion system and ocular turning with mag.The 10 mil knobs though are about as perfect as I've come across.

Like the field test and thanks for the time put in for us. I have a Razor and 2 SS 3x9 and these scopes are both built like tanks.

Thanks for your time on this review.I wonder how a leupold 6.5x20 MK4 stacks up against the SS????

I looked through a Leupold MK4 6.5-20 and my SS has better image than the the Luey. The Luey gets that dark view as you get to 20x the SS is still bright.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked through a Leupold MK4 6.5-20 and my SS has better image than the the Luey. The Luey gets that dark view as you get to 20x the SS is still bright.

Aron- </div></div>

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 SS's on order and did'nt order until the last day so I am not sure when they will be here. Having several MK4s I am anxious to see the difference between them. If they are truly a better scope the only thing that would ever be a setback is customer service. Leupold has always been top knotch and I hear SWFA has been as well but I have never dealt with them.

I got to see both today at the range with a little fingering and without a doubt the SS is much better than the razor. Neither was mine (not that it would matter either) so I could care less what name was stamped on them!