• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Field Test: Weaver 3-15 vs. Vortex PST 4-16 & 6-24

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Introduction:</span></span>

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you know that the release of the Viper PST has been somewhat akin to the introduction of the home computer. Greatly hyped, highly anticipated and potentially at least, a serious gamechanger. All the features most tactical shooters are looking for in a package priced under $1000.

(Fast forward past PST release drama). Just as the PST's are starting to ship in limited quantities, a new player arrives with similar features and pricepoint. Enter the Weaver 3-15 Tactical.

Several reviews have been written up on each of the above, but the question was raised; "How do they compare side-by-side?"

I am not an optics expert and I don't do scope reviews for a living. But I am a photographer and a shooter and an ex-engineer, so I figured since the opportunity of these scopes being in the same place at the same time presented itself, I would give my best shot of communicating to the rest of you, as objectively as possible, my impressions as I used and looked through these scopes side-by-side. This is not meant to be an exhaustive review of each scope, but rather what I described: our impressions from using them side-by-side in one sitting.

For this evaluation, we used four different scopes. I have a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 on my 300WM. Fair or not, I used it as the optical baseline. I know it very well. I just recently received my PST 6-24 FFP mil/mil for my .260 build. A friend has a PST 4-16 SFP Mil/Mil and Paul Stafford just put a Weaver 3-15 FFP Mil/Mil Tac on his spanking new Stiller-actioned 300WM (since a PST was months off at the time). We got together to break in his barrel, sight in and do some chrono'ing. So while Paul was scrubbing copper, I was looking through scopes. Hopefully Paul will chime in with his opinions also, but most of his time was taken attending to his new baby.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Testing:</span></span>

When most people think of scope performance, they think optics. I don't. For the most part, if I can see through it, I can use it if it does its mechanical job the way it should.

Tracking and adjustment accuracy, reticle design, mechanical robustness and industrial design are far more important to me than optical performance (with a few exceptions... as I've said many times... if you're hunting in low light or identifying threats in a darkened window or doorway at distance, you have special needs. Most of us do not fall in this category.)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tracking and Adjustment Accuracy</span>

After verifying that the scopes were indeed level in the rings on each rifle, we set the rifles in a vise at 100 +-.5 yds from a 10 mil x 5 mil grid that is plumb and level. The crosshairs are centered on the "zero" intersection. The scope is run up 10 mils, down 10 mils and left/right 5 mils. Then the same grid is used to determine the accuracy of the reticle as well as whether the reticle is plumb and level in the scope tube.

Results:

Viper PST 6-24 - perfect
Weaver 3-15 - vertical and horizontal adjustments off by <1% (10 mil required right between 10 and 10.1 mil of adjustment - insignificant error to me), reticle perfect
Viper PST 4-16 - not evaluated due to weather, will follow up and post, but these have been analyzed to death now and have been found to be excellent

<span style="font-weight: bold">Reticle Design.</span>

This is a very subjective topic. In this case all the reticles were very useable and unobtrusive. All of them would allow a shooter to engage targets and hold for wind or elevation without confusion.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mechanical Robustness.</span>

Again, very subjective at this point (due to the lack of history) but the 4 scopes have a very different "feel" to them. The Weaver reminds me quite a bit of the Razor. Stout. They both have this overwhelming sense of strength. Perhaps it's the heft.

The PST's on the other hand, feel almost fragile by comparison. I certainly hope that time proves them just as reliable and robust, but they just don't give me that sense of solidity like the Razor and the Weaver.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Industrial Design.</span>

By ID, I am addressing the user controls and layout. Does the scope have a layout and controls that help or hinder a shooter.

The major standout here were illumination knobs. The Weaver knob is in an odd location for me. Every time I went to adjust parallax, I turned on the illumination. That would take some getting used to. I'm not a big fan of illumination controls on the occular, but Weaver has not found a suitable solution for my tastes either.

The Weaver also lacks the very nifty "off" setting between brightness levels that the PST's have. The PST's however are not without issues. The illumination brightness control is quite vague and it is possible for it to "hang" in-between.

A word here about the PST turrets. Because I often shoot at ELR distances, I end up dialing a LOT of elevation. As such, I'm a little sensitive to turret design. The PST turrets must have been designed by a sadist. The knurls on the endof the turret caps are quite sharp to the touch. They literally hurt my hands after just a few knob rotations. The Razor has very similar looking knurls on the top of its turrets too. But they are subtly different (perhaps the sharp edges are relieved a bit?)and not painful to turn at all. Not sure why Vortex changed a good thing here.

Additionally, all 4 PST turrets (2 elevation, 2 windage on 2 different scopes) gave noticeably different feedback, audibly and mechanically. I like the windage turret on the PST 6-24 the best, but was surprised at how differently they all felt. A quick test showed that the sleeve of my sweatshirt could rotate the elevation knob of both PST's, but it took considerable effort. This test failed to move the Razor knobs and the Weaver's lock, so it was not an issue.

Despite my misgivings about a lack of similar feel, all the controls on the PST's worked well and gave good feedback. The Weaver knobs by comparison (when unlocked), are a bit "weak" in feedback and resistance for my taste. They did, however, prove quite difficult to turn while locked.
wink.gif

Other than that, all controls worked as required and did not bring significant notice to themselves.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optical Performance. </span>

Caveat: Books have been written on measuring optical performance. It is a can of worms no matter how you look at it. But we wanted to give *some* kind of objective optical evaluation. So.. with much fear and trepidation... Drum roll please...

For this segment of the evaluation, we placed a couple optic charts at 100 yds. (the intent was to also do some low light evaluation of these charts, but we ran out of time. Perhaps more can be added later)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Charts</span>

usaf1951x180.gif

iso-raa.jpg

What we looked for on the top chart was the smallest set of 3 bars that the scope could resolve as well as general attributes such as edge sharpness, overall brightness and contrast chromatic aberration and edge to edge sharpness.

The bottom chart we looked at the converging lines as a confirmation of the 3 bar test.

All the scopes were set at 15-16x and were 100 yds. from the target.

Razor - could resolve down to the "5" in the "-2" row (dead center of chart) and "3" on the converging lines. Good brightness and contrast. Good line sharpness. Overall sharpness and focus begins to fall off about 60% of the way between the aiming point and edge of FOV. Significant Chromatic aberration that moves quickly from red on one edge to blue on the other if the eye is moved even slightly behind the occular. This scope is very hard to get a sight picture with on 20x. (Vortex is fully aware of this issue and has redesigned the ocular as a free upgrade. When this scope is retrofitted, I will post an update)

Vortex PST 6-24 - This was by far the biggest surprise of the test. The PST 6-24 was nearly impossible to tell from the Razor. After quite a bit of side-by-side evaluation, the edge was given to the Razor in terms of resolution, with the PST only able to see down to the "4" in the "-2" row and 3 on the converging lines. But line sharpness, brightness , contrast and edge to edge sharpness were either equal to, or superior to the Razor. At 20x the PST actually out-resolves the Razor! In addition, there is almost a complete absence of CA. One annoying feature of the 6-24 is that eye relief changes as magnification is changed and it is unforgiving enough to require a head reposition.

Weaver 3-15 - Resolved down to the "4" in the "-2" row and "2" on the converging lines. The Weaver has very good glass also and was *barely* inferior to the Razor and PST 6-24. Overall a very good optic, it does nothing poorly and everything well enough that it does not draw attention to itself... it just does its job. If this scope was evaluated on a different day that the PST 6-24 or the Razor, I'd be hard pressed to say they were different, but looking at them nearly one after the other, I'd have to give a very slight edge to the 2 Vortex's.

Vortex PST 4-16 - This was the 2nd biggest surprise of the test. Optically speaking, there is no evidence whatsoever that this scope is even remotely related to it's brother the 6-24 PST or it's cousin the Razor. The glass on this scope was flat and unimpressive. It could only resolve down to "2" on the "-2" row, could resolve none of the converging lines and lacked brightness and contrast and exhibited significant red CA. This scope was clearly out of its league, optically speaking, in this evaluation. The glass is poor enough that, even though I personally do not put a high priority on optical performance, I would not pay the asking price for this scope if this particular model is indicative of its optical performance. I'd expect a lot more for my dollar. I really wish we'd been able to do some low light evaluation. My suspicion is that the 4-16 optical performance would fall off a lot faster than the Weaver and the 6-24 PST.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion</span></span>

All four of these scopes would be suitable for shooting daytime tactical matches. The BIG question is: for how long? The Razor, of course, is a semi-proven quantity. In addition to the abuse that Frank subjected his to, there are thousands of hours of field use, by hundreds of owners to attest. But in this evaluation, the Razor was simply a baseline. The Weaver and the PST's are big question marks in this regard. It's become a bit of a cliche' here, but truly, only time will tell.

With the exception of the glass quality on the PST 4-16 (and even that does NOT keep it from doing its job), I would highly recommend all three of these scopes. The question comes down to what features and qualities are more important to you, as they are three very different scopes with very different personalities and featuresets.

I hope this is useful. I now have a greater appreciation of what guys like Ilya must go through (on a MUCH bigger scale).

My apologies to Scott and Sam about the 4-16 comments. I know you guys have busted your butts now for well over a year now to make these things work well. You guys know I love your stuff, and truly believe in Vortex as a company, but I "calls 'em as I sees 'em". It *is* possible that this particular example is not representative.

My thanks to Paul Stafford for the use of his Weaver and to KimberLPT308 for the use of his PST 4-16.

John

Re: Field Test: Weaver 3-15 vs. Vortex PST 4-16 & 6-24

Interesting conclusions. Glad you like them.

I had a 4-16 PST and own 2 6-24 PST's, all FFP.

Cant tell the difference between any of the glass and I just went and cranked the knobs. All identical.

Bottom line, I agree that they are excellent scopes. And a great buy.

Great job both companies, glad to see competition below 1K

Nice review John! Glad you got the chance to compare these side x side and I honestly don't think a person could go wrong with any of these 3 scopes for the cash outlay. Also good to see the "new kid" Weaver stacks up favorably to the Vortex, I know I've been very pleased with my 3-15... hopefully they will maintain a good track record as far as reliability in the future.

Gregg

Nice review... I can't wait for the complete comparison.

I almost bought the PST 4-16 SFP, and I am glad that I held off on the purchase... At least, as far as this single example is concerned.

You mentioned in a previous thread that you have hit ELR steel with scopes exhibiting far worse than a 1% vertical error... Which scopes were you referring to and how far off were they?

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mentioned in a previous thread that you have hit ELR steel with scopes exhibiting far worse than a 1% vertical error... Which scopes were you referring to and how far off were they?</div></div>

Falcon Menace 4-14. IIRC, it was off 3% (I can't find that logbook right now). In addition, I hit a steel plate at 1900 yds. the day it coughed up its guts and decided to no longer focus. It was absolutely unusable above 10x and at that power the plate was a fuzzy white blur. So you can sort of understand why I think there's a little too much emphasis on optic quality.

John

Excellent review. Love my weaver but looks like you can't go wrong with either. Interesting you mentioned the glass was different between the two versions of the PST. Any word from vortex why?

In any rate here's to both scopes holding up for the long haul and improving the sub $1k area for us poor boys.

Flyingbullseye

It was a fun day at the range, if a little short. Fortunately, it only took 4 shots (and about 20 patches) to break in the 300, so I was able to spend some time behind the scopes as well (but not as much as John did.)

It was interesting to do a side by side of these scopes.
I would agree with John's assessment that the three scopes were in a different class than the PST 4-16. The PST 4-16 image was noticeably softer, and without the same contrast, either. John saw some CA n it, I did not. Disclaimer - I am not an optics expert, nor do I play one on TV. But I am an engineer, with a lot of years in the NASA Infrared Astronomy division. I do have some relevant experience...

Feature-wise, I am happy with the way the Weaver works. The only downer is is no zero stop. Not having long experience with other scopes, the illumination knob location and function doesn't bother me a bit. The illumination itself is well done, with no blooming of the reticle at full brightness.

The feel of the knobs is positive enough, and I like the locking feature. Also, the elevation and windage zeros can be adjusted without tools (the knurled caps easily unscrew, and the knob barrel lifts and rotates easily to the desired position). That, plus the FFP made zeroing the rifle today very easy. Just use the reticle to see how far off the first shot was from center, adjust accordingly, and the next shot was only 0.1 mil off in windage, dead on in elevation. Done in 2 shots...

Just FYI, the Weaver 3-15 needs some pretty high rings. Scott @ Liberty sold me some .97" rings, and we still had to trim the bottom of the objective cap to clear my admittedly beefy barrel.

PS: I learned that I can't break in a barrel throat by myself. It turns out my color blindness kept me from detecting when the patch stopped being bluish from copper. I had to show each one to John "is it OK yet?" . most amusing.

PPS I can also report that the recoil of this 17# .300 WM rifle with UGSW brake is nearly negligible. I could shoot it all day.

Well done test, John. Thanks for posting.

And of course it's always nice when one hears confirmation he isn't crazy.
wink.gif

Nice report John.
Judging on the progress that has been made in just the last couple years, I think things will only get better with scopes in this price range.

Thanks John and Paul,

I might have to go with a Weaver for my 700 .308. Also where can I get the scope testing sheets you posted pics of John ? thanks again for your guys time.

Regards Aron-

Thanks for the review!

I found the same results comparing my 3-15 vs my 4-16 as far as optical quality. Though my test were not as scientific as yours, mine were at lower light. I am one of the guys who will use it at low light for hunting so the weaver has edged out the 4-16 BUT, I do have a 6-24 on order so we will see how it works out.

thanks again!

Here was a very fair question asked on a nother forum, with my response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is: how do you reconcile your comment about the 4-16 PST being not worth the money and then saying you "highly recommend all three scopes"? That seems a bit contradictory.</div></div>

I can see how that could be taken that way.

It would not be worth that much money for *ME* to add the 4-16 PST to my limited stable. However, because of the featureset and pricepoint, I could recommend it to guys in our circle... shooting tactical matches and steel. Head-to-head though, the Weaver is a better scope in the magnification range and it would probably be more accurate to give a "highly recommend" to the 6-24 PST and the Weaver 3-15 and a "recommend" to the 4-16 PST. Clear as mud?
icon_smile_wink.gif

John

I have taken a little heat in the past for my honest opinions on the 4x16 glass, always while still supporting the scope.

Others have been saying the glass in the PST is very good.

I think your review will bring more understanding for all of us.

If I had ordered my scope after your review, I would definitely go with the 6x26 PST. I think the 4x16 will be a harder sell knowing this, even though it could hang just fine in normal use.

I wouldn't put it past Vortex to address the glass in the 4x16 to bring it up to speed but I know they are not made of money.

I wonder what the difference in glass is?

It seems that more than one person has noted this.

Although, I honestly couldnt tell any difference between the ones I used.

I just needed the 6-24 for the additional magnification, but I thought the glass in my 4-16 was just as good as my 6-24's, which I find to be excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what the difference in glass is?</div></div>

I think that Sam and Scott have maintained from the beginning that there is no difference in the glass per se. As in "quality level". The difference would be in the implementation. Optics are a series of compromises and it is possible that the decision was made to "get" something else at the cost of optic quality, or it may be that (and to me this is a LOT less likely) the design was implemented and they were unaware of just how poor the optic performance would turn out to be. We may never know the whole story.

I'm grateful that they are as transparent with us as they are.

John

Interesting.

If this turns out to be systemic, I would just quit offering the 4-16.

The 6-24 is phenomenal, by all accounts I have seen so far, and it would suck for people to not buy a PST based on reviews of poor glass. It is not that high on my list of priorities, but the glass in the PST's I have used illustrated for me that superb glass doesnt HAVE to be expensive.

I know that you didn't have one during these tests, but do you have any experience with any of the Bushnell Tactical FFP scopes? If so, how do they compare to these options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: civprod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that you didn't have one during these tests, but do you have any experience with any of the Bushnell Tactical FFP scopes? If so, how do they compare to these options. </div></div>

I have not had the opportunity to date. If I could find one locally, I'd be happy to compare it though.

John

Thanks for the review. I am considering the 6-24 PST. Not sure if I sould get the FFP or SFP mil/mil model. I also like the weaver 3-15. I am looking for a scopes for my Rem 5R 223 rifle.

John

Well this is my first post here on Sniper's Hide. I just purchased (ordered) a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP yesterday. I was told a 4-6 week wait, but I excited to try it out. I have been a fan of Vortex for a couple years. I own a couple DiamondBacks and a Viper already, and I have been impressed with their "bang for the buck" factor so far. I have never owned a long range rig before, so this will be my first go at it.

Excellent testing John. I have both scopes (weaver and 4x16 PST) and only one rifle worth testing them both on. I have been playing with them for a week unmounted (need higher rings to mount the weaver) and think they are both great scopes with some subtle preferences on knobs and features like the zero stop. I have had a couple different people checking them at all hours of the day and evening and most come to the conclusion that the weaver is slightly "better" but it is very subtle. Everyone that has pronounced the weaver better also state it is doubtful that it is going to allow any real advantage in field usage. I think it will take a lot of usage in low light to show any differences. I think I like the vortex reticle a little better but again its all personal preferences.

Two things that jump out that are minor trade offs with each scope. The Weaver reticle only has 5 marked mils on the reticle, the Vortex 9mils. If your more inclined to hold over it seems the Vortex would be the way to go, or if you were really stretching your max and used all of your available comeups 4 extra mils might somehow matter. I also like the more distinct hashes at .5 mil on the Vortex, the Weaver is actually two small dots on either side of the crosshair and seemed to fade more. One advantage back to the Weaver is the placement of the illumination dial. In my final prep right before I put my finger on the trigger I use my left eye for last second checks of wind flags, parallex adjustment and confirmation of the dialed elevation, the Weaver allows all of this very easy. The illumination knob on the Vortex blocks my view (why is it on the left instead of the right side?) of the elevation turret and I have to lift my head off of the stock to confirm the settings (not sure if its bad habit that wastes time or a good habit of double checking). Again all subtle differences but enough to sway someone one way or the other. Right now I have to say Im probably leaning towards the Vortex but would probably be perfectly happy with either glass.

Looks like the Weaver would make a solid budget scope for my new .308 that's inbound. Any bleed over from the illumination, or was the reticle/image still clear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the Weaver would make a solid budget scope for my new .308 that's inbound. Any bleed over from the illumination, or was the reticle/image still clear?</div></div>

Mine does have some bleed over on the highest illumination, but none on the medium and low settings. I don't think that it is a big deal for me, as I will likely only employ illumination in the rarest situations and never on high anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just FYI, the Weaver 3-15 needs some pretty high rings. Scott @ Liberty sold me some .97" rings, and we still had to trim the bottom of the objective cap to clear my admittedly beefy barrel.</div></div>

My Remington 700P wears the Weaver on a steel 0-MOA UTG rail and TPS super-low (.820) rings. I have plenty of clearance, even with the 700P's heavy barrel profile and BC caps.

^ I would guess that its a no go with the 20 MOA base? what you think gglass.

Also were you using the illumination during the day or at night ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both scopes (weaver and 4x16 PST) and only one rifle worth testing them both on. I have been playing with them for a week unmounted (need higher rings to mount the weaver) and think they are both great scopes with some subtle preferences on knobs and features like the zero stop. I have had a couple different people checking them at all hours of the day and evening and most come to the conclusion that the weaver is slightly "better" but it is very subtle.</div></div>
Are you saying your 4-16 PST doesn't exhibit the poor characteristics noted by the one reviewed by the OP? Makes me wonder if the 4-16 PST used by the OP was just a bad sample. I'm really looking hard at both of these scopes for my 700 LTR and prefer the reticle of the PST. (Not ready to pony up for another USO.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ I would guess that its a no go with the 20 MOA base? what you think gglass.

Also were you using the illumination during the day or at night ? </div></div>

I can only speak to my particular 0 MOA base. The UTG base is rather tall, and is not indicative of all bases, 0-MOA or otherwise. I brought up my experience with the Weaver ring height issue, because it shows that the buyer will still have to measure their rigs tolerances before they choose rings, and not make assumptions.

I have only tested the illumination during in both daytime and nighttime environments. I'm sure that if the illumination were contained to the center of the reticle, instead of the entire reticle, there would be no bleed over on any setting.

I also just recently got the Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP as well. I too am finding that the glass is a little disappointing. The other scopes I compared it with is a IOR 3-18x42, Mark 4 6.5-20x50, and Super Sniper 10x42HD. When I first looked downrange with it, the targets seemed muddled. No matter how much I adjusted focus the resolution just didn't seem up to par with the other scopes. I checked the lenses to see if something was smudged, but they were clean. I like everything else about the scope and will keep it as it tracks accurately which is more important to me. Granted this is just my observation with my scope. Others may have different results.

Excellent. I have been looking at the Vortex line and this helps me narrow down the selection. Good information on the glass quality as well as adjustments. Thanks!

The glass on my PST is not "bad", its just that side by side with the weaver it was not quite as clear. Shooting steel or even most paper targets there was no appreciable difference.

Today I was shooting my "smack the smiley" targets and found the glass was a little lacking, had a heck of a time resolving some of the smaller targets. I will swap out to the weaver and finish my remaining targets to see what the results are. If the PST is tough as nails and repeatble but suffers a little bit when resolving a 1/2" circle at 100 yards as its only weakness I will gladly take it.

I have been contemplating the Weaver vs the PST as well, and I was pretty resolute on another PST since my 2.5-10x is just so amazingly clear and bright. Is this a common thing where only the 4-16x isn't "hacking it" compared to the other PSTs? Because my 2.5-10x is damn-near NF quality. I really like having a zero stop, but optical clarity is huge for me.

Seems like the design and execution of the 4-16 may be the problem.
Reports on the 6-24, 2-10, and 1-4 have been primarily favorable on quality of the view through the scope.

I took my Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 out to a 1k yard match today. I do have to say I am happier with the glass now. I had no problem seeing all of the spotters out to 1k. While the glass is not quite up to par with my other scopes. It is still good enough for what I want to use it for. I now feel the difference between them is not as far off as previously thought.

Last weekend I used my 6-24x PST MOA on my 6mm Norma BR. in my first attempt at 1,000 yd. competition. The mirage was so bad that everyone that I talked to had to turn down the power in order to see the target better. Even the NF and Leupolds were turned down.

I was able to shoot two 10 shot strings for score & group size. The two scores were 91+1x and the other was 82+0x with a total of 173+1x. The guy who beat me had a 174+1x.

The 6-24x PST has functioned perfectly since I got it.

40gt

Follow up post to this thread.

I've been following the Vortex PST rollout now for over a year and a half. I've owned two, reviewed three, and received a myriad of PM's from Hide members as well as members of other forums. This is my conclusion.

It would appear that if there is *anything* consistent about the Vortex PST, it is its inconsistency. In my opinion, this is the only logical explanation for the widely varying reviews we've seen. Any conclusions I or anyone else has drawn from any one, two or three sample size group must be considered inconclusive at this point. There are far too many conflicting opinions about these scopes to just assume that they are being reviewed by idiots (although I'm confident that the 'idiot/rational thinking person' ratio grows daily on this site). A more likely scenario is that Vortex has been dealing with an early design issue (now dealt with and resulting in the re-launch), an out of control manufacturing process (resulting in good and bad scopes of every flavor) and an out of control QC/QA process (that is allowing bad samples to slip into customers hands.) Clearly the original design was good, with a couple of needed improvements, as evidenced by the fact that some scopes are excellent. That doesn't happen by accident. But to buy one right now, is to roll the dice. Vortex has shown a commitment to their customers, so the odds of that dice-roll will only get better and pretty soon, the PST will show itself to be the quality sub-$1000 FFP scope that it was meant to be. It just sucks that Weaver and Bushnell rolled theirs out without so much as a hiccup.

If you think that I have a grudge against Vortex, you're wrong. I still think my Razor is the best scope I've ever owned, and Vortex has bent over backwards to keep me happy. But if the King decides to parade around naked, I'm not afraid to say he has no clothes.

John

John,
A bit more time has transpired since your last post. Have you learned anything more worth reporting, or is your last post still current, in your opinion? Thanks,

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John,
A bit more time has transpired since your last post. Have you learned anything more worth reporting, or is your last post still current, in your opinion? Thanks,

Paul </div></div>

Paul,

I have nothing factual or substantive to add other than my general observation is that most (if not all) users seem to be happy with all of these scopes and as is generally the case, the typical "high sensitivity" to a new product seems to have worn off, and with it the nitpicking about this subtle thing or that. They all seem to be doing their job.

I have friends that own the Weaver and the PST (6-24) and both seem to be equally happy. Enough time has passed, that if there were obvious reliability issues with either, we'd have heard about it by now.

At this point, I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. Let personal preference be your guide.

John

Wish i had found this info before i ordered a 4-16 pst,very disappointed in the glass clarity. Im back in the scope market but not brave enough to buy a vortex pst 6-24,too much to spend for less than stellar glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crowsniper1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish i had found this info before i ordered a 4-16 pst,very disappointed in the glass clarity. Im back in the scope market but not brave enough to buy a vortex pst 6-24,too much to spend for less than stellar glass. </div></div>

FWIW, the 6-24 I tested had very good glass, but there are so many other things that a scope must do well. To expect "stellar" glass at this price point may be expecting a bit much. The Weaver had very good glass also, but I will say the 4-16 had noticeably cloudier glass than either of the other two.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crowsniper1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish i had found this info before i ordered a 4-16 pst,very disappointed in the glass clarity. Im back in the scope market but not brave enough to buy a vortex pst 6-24,too much to spend for less than stellar glass. </div></div>

I know this is outside the range of scopes being considered here but if you would be willing to consider used scopes in the just over $1K the IOR SH edition 3-18x42 FFP scopes are IMO optically on par with Premier Heritage 5-25x56 and 99% of an S&B 5-25x56 scope. If optical image quality is at the top of your list of needs for a tactical scope the 35mm tube IOR FFP tactical scopes should be on your short list. Sure the IOR does not have quite the same magnification on top but is approximately in the mag range you are looking at.

The IOR SH edition 3-18x42 FFP with modified MP-8 reticle is an excellent reticle for tactical use. But if you are trying to squeeze the smallest possible groups out of your rifle the MP-8 makes it a bit harder because of the 1/10 mil aiming point. This is the only reason I replaced my SH edition IOR 3-18x42 FFP with a Premier Heritage 5-25x56 DT CCW Gen2 XR scope.

Hope this helps!

I really wish someone could do a video review if these scopes.

Thanks, I was reading a comment on another site that said you probably sold more Remington AAC's than their own marketing group. Heck do you have your FFL yet?

How would the 4-16's baby brother, the 2.5-10x44 compare to these?
For me, the 2.5-10x44 sounds like it would be a good fit for my rifle.