• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Figuring Target MOA?

Samuel Whittemore

in memory
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2018
    Being a redneck at heart --I don't care much for numbers ("Math?? -- What's math? LOL) but a friend says I need to up my game here if I want to get good. Instead of "Just try'n a'make those little small holes closer to each other" like I do... He says "I gotta figure shit out."

Is my math right here in doing MOA calculations for my work up load?

03-02-2021-1a.jpg

Last edited:
    At 100yds 1 inch is 0.95moa

From top to bottom, left to right:
    1st 1.61moa
    2nd 1.14moa
    3rd 0.61moa
    4th 1.4moa
    5th 0.9moa

Average 1.132moa

• Love
    Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    I am an european and I measure and tell my accuracy in minutes, just because 1moa has been the "de facto" standard in rifle lingo in internet forums.

1moa is pretty much 0.3mil (0.29), but since most I shoot with are quite fluent with both I use either one.

But it is just mind boggling how you rednecks have gotten around to brainwash me from thousands of KILOMETERS away

So what is the formula to convert inches to MOA
    So I shoot a group with my 308. It measures .68 Center to center.
    What is that in MOA.

So what is the formula to convert inches to MOA
    So I shoot a group with my 308. It measures .68 Center to center.
    What is that in MOA.
    If you are being that precise multiply group in inches ×.955 then divide by range in hundreds to get MOA.
    At 100 yards:
    1.047" x .955 = .999885 ÷ 1 = .999885 MOA
    At 600 yards:
    5" × .955 = 4.775 ÷ 6 = .795 MOA
    12" x .955 = 11.46 ÷ 6 = 1.91 MOA

If shot at 100 yards .68" x .955 = .6766 MOA

Reactions: Timberwolf911
    I am an european and I measure and tell my accuracy in minutes, just because 1moa has been the "de facto" standard in rifle lingo in internet forums.

1moa is pretty much 0.3mil (0.29), but since most I shoot with are quite fluent with both I use either one.

But it is just mind boggling how you rednecks have gotten around to brainwash me from thousands of KILOMETERS away

1614824562235.png

Yeah, but NASA adopted metrics and is now at Mars. After one crash related to a part that was made using inches.

Coincidence? I do not think so.

Yes, it is a coincidence whether you think so or not.

We would have gone to Mars using decimal inches just fine. And nobody else has still been willing and able to go to the moon (a chip shot) in the 49 years since we last went.

Our nuclear submarines (machines every bit as complex and technologically advanced as any spacecraft) are designed and built using the not metric system. They work just fine.

Point is, aside from conversion convenience, the metric system has no inherent advantages over the US standard system of measures.

Reactions: Near miss
    Yeah, but NASA adopted metrics and is now at Mars. After one crash related to a part that was made using inches.

Coincidence? I do not think so.
    Someone didn't catch the fact that two engineers were working in different measuring systems. If there was only one standard being used it wouldn't have happened.

Someone didn't catch the fact that two engineers were working in different measuring systems. If there was only one standard being used it wouldn't have happened.

Sounds like a communication error, not an issue of inches and millimeters.
    Maybe they shoulda used the same playbook.

Base 10 is easy, but I can still picture things in inches, feet, yards, etc...

My brain wants to convert metric to American.😁

When I'm in Spain I can do metric conversion fairly quick for distance and volume. I don't see MIL as metric it's a ratio. I use MOA since I've been using it for so long. I'm waiting for some one to take me up on the challenge "that I'll use MIL when someone makes NM iron sights". I'd have to replace a few scopes then.

If I recall, ground radar was US, throttle was metric. Engine cutout was well above ground.

I know. My scope is in Mil why he wants me to figure this out in MOA --I think is more for his benefit

But how do I figure it in mil?

1 milliradian equals
    • 3.43 minutes of arc
    • 3.6 inches per 100 yards

Point is, aside from conversion convenience, the metric system has no inherent advantages over the US standard system of measures.
    I can think of one advantage - mass and volume is standardized to water: 1 milliliter = 1 cubic centimeter = 1 gram of water.

Reactions: 308pirate