• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Filler material for subsonic loads

Shakeber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Would like to get your input on the best filler material to use in loading subsonic 308 loads. I have tried c.o.w. and polyester filling. The wheat left the barrel visibly dirty and I am afraid what the polyester residue will be. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Filler material for subsonic loads

i use titegroup with no filler, havent had any issues with it. there is load data on the hodgdon website.

Thanks for the replies. I have a functional load using Unique and the load chronos well. Thanks for your inputs. I will consider all 3 responses so far. Thanks again

4570casecapacityreducerdrawing5-19-2010tiny.jpg

Filler is 12L14 steel held in place with Loctite 601.

145 gr bullet at 440 fps, sounds like a pellet gun, no suppressor required.

All the expansion required for sub sonic gas escapement is bore volume.

I asked Chris Hodgdon this very question at the Shot Show. He recommended using IMR Trail Boss with no filler. The loading data for it is in their Basic Reloading Manual.

TG

Clark, that is really ingenious. The 'hide comes thru again. I looked it up and trailboss seems to be the solution. Thanks again.

This is my favorite post from all of snipershide:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
4570casecapacityreducerdrawing5-19-2010tiny.jpg

Filler is 12L14 steel held in place with Loctite 601.

145 gr bullet at 440 fps, sounds like a pellet gun, no suppressor required.

All the expansion required for sub sonic gas escapement is bore volume. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my favorite post from all of snipershide:
</div></div>
My best wishes to you, too.
And may you have regular bowel movements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my favorite post from all of snipershide:
</div></div>
My best wishes to you, too.
And may you have regular bowel movements. </div></div>LOL
I use Titegroup as well. No issues.