• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Filling in the recess in 700 bolt after opening

gamma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
I have a guy looking to install a Sako extractor on his Remmy 700,as we all know this isnt possible unless the recess from the factory extractor is filled in some way. I was thinking of using some kind of aluminium epoxy or a product I saw recently which was basically an easy to work with aluminium which is melted with a torch and used for repairing damaged threads in blind holes etc. I could melt it and pour it into the bolt face and then remachine it back flush with the rest of the bolt face. I can hear you guys saying,you just answered your own question but has this been a success in the past or am I looking for trouble. Im aware also of the with problems associated with Sako extractors and all that stuff so I just need an answer on the recess question.

Re: Filling in the recess in 700 bolt after opening

I have done dozens of the sako conversions and never filled the recess. I may be missing something here, but I have never heard talk of filling the recess from the old extractor.

First skip the Sako and stick with the factory Remington extractor. If he must have a Sako there is no need to fill in the area for the factory extractor.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if the recess wasnt filled in,the cartridge rim would get under the recess causing the case to be wobbling around inside --No.

Before going through all of that I would just get a new oversized bolt with a sako extractor all ready in place then tig the bolt handle head space and your done

I'm working toward something similar. I've got a bolt that was a bit chewed up by a customer who stuck a fireball case trying to get almost 22-250 velocities. Also have a receiver that is missing a bolt. a couple light passes accross the bolt face cleaned it up fine, but he did a lot of damage to the lip the extractor sits in. I've opened the face to .600, I'm making a bushing that will be just over case head size inside, and .601 outside for a bit of an interferience fit. Everything will be faced off and an AR type extractor installed. Economicly it wouldn't make sence to do this to a customers bolt, but it's a project for me to mess with on my own time. Not costing me anything other than time to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koganinja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before going through all of that I would just get a new oversized bolt with a sako extractor all ready in place then tig the bolt handle head space and your done </div></div>
Surely that would make for a lot more work and expense than simply installing a Sako extractor.

That is probably the number one reason why this conversion has developed a bad and also nasty reputation!

The recess MUST be filled and filled with some type of material similar to the bolt body, like 4140. I make bushings to fit the bored out recess and solder them in place before boring it out to the correct cartridge size.

i have heard of guy boring out srandard size bolt heads then fitting them with a bushing to build guns on the PPC cases.

for all th work involved it seems to me thatfor just a little more money you could just get a bolt from PT&G that has exactly what you want and probably built ALOT better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Gradous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a bushing, or it want work. </div></div>

This is a ridiculous statement. While it certainly LOOKS better bushed, we have done dozens of these without filling the old gap and never had issues. I'm sure there are probably ten times more of them that are not bushed as opposed to those that are. But I would certainly agree they look much nicer bushed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Gradous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a bushing, or it want work. </div></div>

This is a ridiculous statement. While it certainly LOOKS better bushed, we have done dozens of these without filling the old gap and never had issues. I'm sure there are probably ten times more of them that are not bushed as opposed to those that are. But I would certainly agree they look much nicer bushed. </div></div>

Not quite so rediculous as you make it sound.

You will never convince me that this is true, I have done too many of them and NEVER, not once seen of, heard of this happening. Again, I agree that COSMETICALLY, it is a good idea, but certainly not from a function standpoint. But I guess it is a cool way to charge a little more money for the conversion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will never convince me that this is true, I have done too many of them and NEVER, not once seen of, heard of this happening. Again, I agree that COSMETICALLY, it is a good idea, but certainly not from a function standpoint. But I guess it is a cool way to charge a little more money for the conversion. </div></div>

+1

There are just some things that are done by gunsmiths, rifle builders, car mechanics, or whatever that are not needed but are easy money.

If it makes you feel better then close up the gap in the bolt nose. I have seen it bushed, I have seen it filled in with Devcon and numerous other ways. I have also done them and seen them left just as they were and they function fine. That being said my opinion is the Sako extractor is junk in a Remington design bolt, and I won't do them unless it's a magnum and only when the factory rivet fails. I also recommend the M16 type, much stronger then the Sako extractor every will be. To each his own.

Also the statement about bushing it or it won't work is bull plain and simple.