• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Filming Matches - does it help - do you do it? - how do you do it?

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
how many of you film you stages on matches? if you do, is it for a critique after and do you find it helpful? I shot my first local match on sunday, had a blast and ran a camera some. it was very hectic with everyone on the same firing line and 5 stages happening at once.

I focused on the target on a two stages (helps understanding where I missed, not why) and filmed myself on two stages. I did Identify two areas for improvement in the self video.

I think next time I might try to run two cameras. one cellphone on me and one tripod on the target, because watching bullets trace into steel is just cool

Had my son at a "One" gun rifle match this last weekend and I think it really helps. At least for me, the details of the stage get muddled, and then having multiple stages makes memory the next day worse. I just use an iphone from behind him and concentrate on framing his whole body, including feet. It is one thing to say "You are unbalanced here' and another to show someone. I also started recording the walk through on the scoring so we get an idea of which targets are causing the M,D, and Cs. I also get to show his mom, which she appreciates better what we are doing and how he is improving. Next time we'll record one of the fast shooters to do an A:B to see where the differences are.

Had my son at a "One" gun rifle match this last weekend and I think it really helps. At least for me, the details of the stage get muddled, and then having multiple stages makes memory the next day worse. I just use an iphone from behind him and concentrate on framing his whole body, including feet. It is one thing to say "You are unbalanced here' and another to show someone. I also started recording the walk through on the scoring so we get an idea of which targets are causing the M,D, and Cs. I also get to show his mom, which she appreciates better what we are doing and how he is improving. Next time we'll record one of the fast shooters to do an A:B to see where the differences are.

I have been doing that in 3 gun and it does help there, I see no reason why it wouldn’t also help with precision rifle,

Does anyone have any best practices for filming each stage?

My 0.02 would be film yourself in practice, and worry about competition on the day of competition. If you want film of yourself during a stage hand your phone to someone and say "Can you film me?".

Your time between stages would be better served by doing things like mentally rehearsing the positions, shooting the stage in your mind, watching other shooters to see what gear works/doesn't and identify anything that might make you want to change your plan, watching the wind downrange, etc. Worrying about setting up a camera for every stage is just one more distraction.

I do debrief after every match, will go through each stage and look at where I dropped points and why, and make myself a little list of things to work on.

. . . . . Worrying about setting up a camera for every stage is just one more distraction.
k on.

very good point, Thanks for the recommendation, the bad part is I don't get to "practice" much because the ranges around here are fairly restrictive unless I want to drive 2+ hrs to Altair for a practice session, matches are my practice.

The next best thing you can do then is practice positions and transitions while dry firing. Get a ladder and some chairs or other random props and practice setting up and moving positions then making stable trigger pulls. Video that and you'll get some good feedback.

how many of you film you stages on matches? if you do, is it for a critique after and do you find it helpful? I shot my first local match on sunday, had a blast and ran a camera some. it was very hectic with everyone on the same firing line and 5 stages happening at once.

I focused on the target on a two stages (helps understanding where I missed, not why) and filmed myself on two stages. I did Identify two areas for improvement in the self video.

I think next time I might try to run two cameras. one cellphone on me and one tripod on the target, because watching bullets trace into steel is just cool

What camera/cameras do you use? I want to film, downrange as well as myself, and got myself a couple GoPro Hero 8's. Big mistake. Those fucking pieces of shit overheat and shut down in 12 minutes even at lower resolutions. I want to get a dedicated target camera system eventually, because it IS cool to review your hits later, but the portable camera is where I need to change up a bit.