• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Filter for a PVS-14?

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey guys,
    Loving my PVS-14 but the blue cast of the L3 WP tube is kicking my eyes ass! If I stay under it for any amount of time when I flip it up that eye sees everything in a yellow cast. Is there a screw on/ slip on filter that can help manage that? Or is just a case of getting used to it? Not sure if a yellow/amber/orange filter would block certain wavelengths and kill the performance or what. Worst case I guess I could get some 65% blue blocker glasses (Gunner) and go that route. I'm really just trying to avoid (more) brain damage! :LOL: Thank you for the help!

I agree with the gain. Turn it down to where it isn’t as harsh. Also look into getting an snb filter. It softens the image a bit and also helps clean up some noise.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Along the same line of thought- most new users crank the gain way up, thinking if a little is good a lot is better.

IMO, you want to find the sweet spot and it will be different every night. I tend to run mine turned down a bit more than that as well because I'm a bit photo sensitive.

Also, don't forgot those "brain breaks" every so often when you are new. Flip the NODs up, breath and let your brain de-clutter a bit.

If you feel like you have to have it constantly in use, an articulating arm like the AX14 PRO arm that allows you to swing from right to left easily is very handy.

Thank you for the input guys! Excited to get my dual band up and running!

Last edited:
    @Lowdown3 is spot on. When I first started running mine I wanted the gain high because it needs to go to 11! Over time I figured out that keeping it dimmer helps with eye fatigue reduces a lot of noise and makes it easier to use your other eye.

For dual band the brightness on my thermal is set at 2 along with an snb filter which dims it more. Gain on the NV can then be used help focus more on thermal, more NV or get more of that “fusion” type mix.

@Lowdown3 is spot on. When I first started running mine I wanted the gain high because it needs to go to 11! Over time I figured out that keeping it dimmer helps with eye fatigue reduces a lot of noise and makes it easier to use your other eye.

For dual band the brightness on my thermal is set at 2 along with an snb filter which dims it more. Gain on the NV can then be used help focus more on thermal, more NV or get more of that “fusion” type mix.
    That is kind of what I am going for. Been playing with it and if I get just so the NV takes center stage until something hot moves in front thermal. Then the thermal image "magically" appears! That or I just rotate the one I'm not using out of the way.

Reactions: Rerun7