• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Filters

Rapidaffliction

The ghost of White2
Minuteman
May 4, 2022
Fiddlers Green
Does anyone use a protection filter on their spotter?

Maybe specifically, on a Kowa tsn88?
[Was] thinking about the ProMaster 95mm HDX Prime Protection filter...

....but the guy at ProMaster REALLY pissed me off, over evading the origins question; and flat out lying to me....with an abundantly elementary lie. . . .....as if I was abundantly elementary. ...not that the fella knows me at all .. but that's just the point. How arrogant could you possibly be? It's all very simple...and maybe I'm being petty about it. But how hard is it to truthfully answer a question? OR, just flat out refuse too... But don't take me for a 9yr old. Ya know?

So now that my principles have taken over, I'm considering maybe I don't need a filter at all. There are many other things I would rather have anyway...such as a sleeve... alternate eye pieces, yet another tripod/head, etc etc etc etc

ANNNNNYWAY, does anyone use a filter?

Thanks.

Sound the Charge.

Last edited:
So are you pussy footing around what happened because you're hoping someone asks? Lol

Does anyone use a protection filter on their spotter? Maybe specifically, on a Kowa tsn88?

Thanks.
FIFY

tenor (1).gif

Does anyone use a protection filter on their spotter?

Maybe specifically, on a Kowa tsn88?
[Was] thinking about the ProMaster 95mm HDX Prime Protection filter...

....but the guy at ProMaster REALLY pissed me off, over evading the origins question; and flat out lying to me....with an abundantly elementary lie. . . .....as if I was abundantly elementary. ...not that the fella knows me at all .. but that's just the point. How arrogant could you possibly be? It's all very simple...and maybe I'm being petty about it. But how hard is it to truthfully answer a question? OR, just flat out refuse too... But don't take me for a 9yr old. Ya know?

So now that my principles have taken over, I'm considering maybe I don't need a filter at all. There are many other things I would rather have anyway...such as a sleeve... alternate eye pieces, yet another tripod/head, etc etc etc etc

ANNNNNYWAY, does anyone use a filter?

Thanks.

Sound the Charge.
As a Promaster dealer, I am sorry they did not give you the correct info and aggravated you. Promaster makes 3 series of filters. Good, better and best. The best, the HGX Prime series are made in Japan from Corning glass with 22 layers of coating. The last being a repellamax that will not allow water or finger prints to stick to the filter. The other 2 are made in China. Feel free to contact me with any other questions. Always happy to help
Joel
Camera Land

Don't put a low end filter over high end lenses if the optics/image quality matter.

Like cheap optically distorted sunglasses over perfect vision.

Well this is embarrassing. I didn't think Joel was going to be paying attention. ...learned my lesson.

*LET ME CLEAR*

My Tiffy I was having, was over ONE conversation, with ONE fella @ PROMASTER, a company of 100s, if not 1000s of people.

AND DOES NOT IN ANYWAY REFLECT UPON THE GEAR ITSELF, OR PERSONNEL OF ANY OF ITS DEALERSHIPS IN NETWORK, such as; but not limited to; Cameraland.

Just as I told the ProMaster rep... I have already decided to purchase an HDX Prime, through an individual dealer of which I enjoy a trust based relationship built from many transactions over time. ....."I don't need you to do his job, he's already done it. I just need you to answer the question...or don't."

He failed to answer that simple question, and over time; I have started doubting my choices... not due to quality, or the service received from my [only] Optics store of choice.

To be frank... I just started thinking their may be other things I "might" want more, such as another eye piece...BUT, I thought I would ask some ones opinion, as to the urgency, or the hierarchy of need...in regard to filters .... Hell, a few weeks ago, I had never even considered having a filter; why is it so important to me now? I'm not quite living the lifestyle I once did, and I have to apply an order of precedence on certain items...

AGAIN, THE LACK OF ETHICAL INTERACTION BETWEEN MYSELF AND SOME GUY ILL NEVER SEE OR SPEAK TO AGAIN; HAS ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MYSELF, AND THE HIGH-SPEED PROFESSIONALS AT EVERYONES FAVORITE OPTICS STORE –NOR ON THE QUALITY GEAR THEY CHOOSE TO CARRY, AND PROMOTE.

Hows that Joel?

Is that a little better?
Nevertheless, you handled the shameless plug, perfectly, perfect reaction...but we'll keep that between you & me... Haha.

Sound the Charge.

Well the [Pro]Master 95mm HDX Prime Protection arrived.. it's very nice. No degradation in image (bright sunshine) quality, that I am able to discern. Very nice fit n finish...heavier than I thought it would be.

I will say, and I could be wrong; that mirage was ever so slightly amplified...maybe 0.7% .... But it's hard to say for sure. Shimmer is so bad here...

I would not let that get in the way of purchasing one...it's probably my imagination, anyway...however slight it may be.

I haven't taken a hammer to it, so I don't know how "protective" it is.

The factory supplied Kowa lens cover, which is funky enough to begin with, is a little more funky now... Not a super great fit. I have not tried to work the sunshade with the filter on it... Probably not good for it...but I dont really use it anyway.

If you are as OCD/childish as I am, about the condition of your lenses, you should probably call Joel @ Cameraland and get one.

I've always has a prejudice against ProMaster products, for some reason..., But as usual Joel was good to his word, and recommendation.