• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally a build of my own!!! 6.5 Grendel

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Hey guys, I just figured I would share some pictures of my newest build that has been going on for months. Its been very hard finding time, but I have my upper back that had a custom handguard put on by Alexander Arms. Here are the specs.

Rock River Arms Flat top, receiver face trued
Match barrel, contoured from blank and chambered by myself, cut to 22" and Cerakoted Graphite Black
Rifle length gas system
Alexander Arms Gas block
Alexander Arms muzzle brake
Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel lower

I'm waiting on bullets, dies and brass to come in. I need a good scope also. In addition, I need short M1913 rails to attach to the end of the handguard in the 3, 6, 9 o'clock position.

Looking to be shooting out to 1200 with this one. It may not be the prettiest, but its all mine..haha

DSC05401Large.jpg

DSC05402Large.jpg

DSC05404Large.jpg

DSC05407Large.jpg

DSC05408Large.jpg

DSC05409Large.jpg

DSC05410Large.jpg

DSC05412Large.jpg

Re: Finally a build of my own!!! 6.5 Grendel

Mark....It's an impressive little round. I got a Grendel upper 3 years ago. It's fun to shoot and packs a punch as you know.

Mark Larue dropped an Elk at 400 yds last year. (You may have seen the thread on Arf.com) Another guy that posts on the grendel forum got a deer at 568 yards.

that gun kicks ass IMHO.
smile.gif

Larue thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=164444&page=1

Thanks Guys,

Len Fagan at Montgomery Community College taught a class on alternative caliber custom AR-15's and I chose to do the Grendel. It seems like an awesome round as most know already.

I really learned alot in this class about how to actually build and "gunsmith" one from the ground up, not just buying components and slaping them together.

I'm hoping to just mount a loaner scope on it and do some blasting to see what it can shoot.

I will keep you updated with pictures and info.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job matching the flash hider onto the barrel...very slick mounting job.</div></div>

+1

Also is that a ten round mag in the pics, I am building a grendel myself and was wondering if I could use c-products 17 round mag and still shoot in the prone position without having the mag get in the way.

I love the 6.5 Grendel platform.
I built one a couple months back and love it!

What twist you got on that bbl?

This flash hider is unique because it Shoulders up against the muzzle instead of the barrel shoulder. There is a couple thousands clearance on the barrel shoulder and flash hider.

Mark

Mark,

New here and this is my first post. You killed the troll in me, thanks!

You mentioned Montgomery Community College. Is that in Montgomery, AL? I've gotten a course listing from them and noticed the custom AR course and wondered if it was a good program. I guess you would recommend then?

That is a sweet stick you built. If you've already said and I missed it sorry, but what is the purpose of the threaded gas block sleeve?

-Kevin

Kevin,

It is in Troy, NC.

They have excellent programs during the summer and through out the year tought by the NRA instructors and instructors here.

One instructor use to work for some very reputable companies building custom rigs and he is a very good source of knowledge.

I would check them out, just give them a call and ask any questions you have.

Mark

Mark, I would be interested to know how the grendel performs out to 1200 yards...I would tend to think that although you reap the benefits of the 6.5mm bullets and the high BC's, performance would be lost due to the relatively small case capacity? Just a thought...Will definitely be interesting to say the least.

Looks good Mark.. Now get out and shoot that thing and post some results.

Definately has a unique look to it. I have read here and there on the 6.5 grendel round and it does seem to have a lot of great qualities.

Nice looking AR, great job. I am a big fan of the round. You will find it to be almost magical in long range accuracy. I bought my first 6.5 Grendel in 2007 after doing a lot of research. It was a Alexander Arms Overwatch. I now have several AR 15 carbines and two Bolt Actions. I have won or placed in each of the two F-Class Open Matchs with one of the bolt actions, (The newer one CZ527). The older one, also a CZ527, is the very first rifle ever chambered for the 6.5 Grendel, documented, and photographed at NRA shows across the country. Let me know how it goes at the range and good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is the story behind the hand guard ? </div></div>

The handguard was made up for me by Alexander Arms with a request for mounts so I can install a M1913 rail. I wanted the option for rails on the top, bottom and both sides. I believe its made from G10, then drilled to Alexander Arms specs for the vents. I also had it made to a specific length so It covers parts of the gas block up instead of stopping just aft. It seems very stable and its pretty light. I like it so far.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mark, I would be interested to know how the grendel performs out to 1200 yards...I would tend to think that although you reap the benefits of the 6.5mm bullets and the high BC's, performance would be lost due to the relatively small case capacity? Just a thought...Will definitely be interesting to say the least.</span>

I hear great things about it and it seems to be a fact that the bullet stays supersonic out to 1200 yards. That should be all we need to know. But I was thinking the same thing you were, I think because its probably shooting a 123 gr Scenar instead of a 139 or 142 it might not compete as well in an apples to apples comparison, but since its in an AR-15 platform with similar results, that should be what sets it apart.

Anybody have load data that they want to share?

Thanks again guys,

Mark

As you said, as long as it can keep the bullet supersonic and stable to that distance, you should be good to go. I would imagine the 22" barrel would help with the velocity, compared to some of the shorter Alexander Arms setups.

Looks very nice! There have been a few nice 6.5G uppers for sale locally, and I've always skipped them because ammo's too pricey, and I have neither the space nor the time for reloading right now.
frown.gif
Someday that'll change and a Grendel will be mine!!!
laugh.gif
Keep us posted on your range results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someday that'll change</div></div>

I have found from personal experience that this will never happen....lol

Nice rifle, been picking out my parts for my 6.5 as soon as I'm home again. My brother has convinced me that this is the hot round to have in an AR-15. I like that it's gaining popularity, but am dizzy with optic choices. I'll try to get mine to look as good as yours when I do my build.

I get great accuracy with my 18" bbl Grendel with:

120gr. Nosler BT
31.5gr. BL-C(2)
CCI #450 Primers
Lapua Brass
OAL 2.260"

I was surprised the Nosler BT shot this well for me figuring its not really a target bullet rather than a hunting bullet. You will hear on the grendel forum alot of guys get good accuracy with the 120gr. Nosler BT's. I tried the 123gr. Scenars, 108gr. Scenars, 107gr.,120gr.,123gr. Sierra Matchkings and some others but the 120gr. Nosler shoots the best for me. Sub-MOA.

Also the powders that seem to work the best are BL-C(2), AA2520, TAC, N-140. Moslty ball powders but I heard some guys getting good groups out to 800yrds with the 95gr. V-MAX and Benchmark believe it or not.

65Grendelpic7-1.jpg

Mark
For load data, Alexander Arms has his tested data on their website, www.65grendel.com has a whole section about loading the Grendel and alot of data or here in the loading section is a Grendel thread.
My favorite load is AA brass, CCI 450 primer, Nosler 120gr. BT's
and 30.0gr of BLC-2 powder. It has been very accurate in all my
Grendel barrels and is not to hot to use as a starting load.
Really nice looking stick.

Nice weapon,The Grendel is a good round. I don't know if you know it but you can use 7.62 x 39 brass and make 6.5 brass(neck down /fireform)If you wait for Alexander Arms for anything don't hold your breath. I have been dealing with them from the start(50 beowulf 24" barrel)And the factory has no QA and they take forever to fill orders . Have not kept up with the aval.of Grendel brass but the 50 Beowulf brass is on about a 2 year backoder and there factory ammo when it dose ship is pure crap.I hate to vent but after many phone conversations with Bill Alexander. Icould not buy another of his products. My 6.5 will be a creedmoor. Not to knock your build in anyway.Just wanted to let you know factory support is a bit sketchey

Mark,
the history of the grendel is very interesting (obviously you know that). Arne Brennan who originally did some of the development and applied the round to the AR lives just down the road from me. I bought an upper from him several years ago and he told me that the original round was designed for a 20" barrel.The .295 neck / 1 degree throat chamber he designed is amazingly accurate.

( From Wikipedia...On March 6, 2006, Arne Brennan achieved a witnessed 1.198 inches (30.4 mm) group with the Lapua 108 Scenar at 660 yards (600 m).[9] using a custom built bolt action rifle with a .295 neck / 1 degree throat chamber.)

He gave me one of his succesful 1000 yd loads but I can't find it at the moment. It was 123 lapua scenars and vitavhouri powder. I get my brass from Grafs BTW.

Interesting info about the grendel history on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_mm_Grendel.

Cheers,
Jim Lowell
Infidel at large

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice weapon,The Grendel is a good round. I don't know if you know it but you can use 7.62 x 39 brass and make 6.5 brass(neck down /fireform)If you wait for Alexander Arms for anything don't hold your breath. I have been dealing with them from the start(50 beowulf 24" barrel)And the factory has no QA and they take forever to fill orders . Have not kept up with the aval.of Grendel brass but the 50 Beowulf brass is on about a 2 year backoder and there factory ammo when it dose ship is pure crap.I hate to vent but after many phone conversations with Bill Alexander. Icould not buy another of his products. My 6.5 will be a creedmoor. Not to knock your build in anyway.Just wanted to let you know factory support is a bit sketchey </div></div>

You don't have to go through Alexander to get a Grendel. I have a Les Baer and a JP Enterprises in this caliber and you can get Lapua brass and bullets pretty reasonably at Midway. I don't feel I have the caliber of experience necessary on this site to comment regarding ballistics and performance, but I can say that I do love it, if emotion has anything to do with it, and it givess incredible groups. Before I get judged too harshly, I shot expert while I was in the Marines, so I do know how to shoot. Do I compare to many of those on this site, hell no! But, I hope this contributes to the attributes of the round.

Congrats on the build. I need to finish my lower which really means decide on a Bill Springfield trigger or pony up the bucks for the CG group buy (leaning that way). Also which optic to put on it. The short list for me to finish my 6.5 in a 18" flat top is:

Trigger
Ammo
Bolt Carrier
Scope and Mount

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Trigger
Ammo
Bolt Carrier
Scope and Mount </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger</span>: Geisselle SSA
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo</span>: Reload your own (make life easier on yourself)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Carrier</span>: Bravo. Co.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope and Mount</span>: Nightforce w/ Larue SPR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger</span>: Geisselle SSA
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo</span>: Reload your own (make life easier on yourself)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Carrier</span>: Bravo. Co.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope and Mount</span>: Nightforce w/ Larue SPR </div></div>

Thanks for the advice. Could likely do all of the above except the Nightforce might go with a Super Sniper but it will be last so maybe a little more dollars can be allocated.

Richard

Latest build only has 37 Lapua 123 gr for breakin and load ramp through it, but seems to really like them. I havent tried any other loads yet.
seville022.jpg

AA 16" barrel/bolt w/ WCI brake
Side Charging handle purchased from R. Whitley
RRA Lower/RRA lpk/PRS Stock
Geiselle Trigger
Falcon scope/Larue Mount

Also have an AA built Overwatch cut to 18" that wont shoot the nosler Bal Tips very well but does like blc2 and the Sierra 107 gr HPBT, Sierra 120 gr SBT and 123gr Scenars.

Nice.
I love the round. I loved the idea when it came out but held off after seeing so many good new cartridges go tits up.
I came across a Overwatch a few years ago, shot it looking to buy it.
It blew my mind. First time I ever touched the rifle, first time I ever shot off a concrete bench rest bench and the first time I ever shot off a true bench rest set up.
Thats a whole lot of first times at once when looking at a precision rifle to drop cash on.
With factory AA 120 BT's it put 5 into 1/4" center to center. My jaw hit the ground. He had to keep it to take to Camp Perry.
It has taken me two years of research to commit to one then a full year to find the parts I want. It is one radical smoke stick for a AR chassis gas gun. I feel motivated to take a couple pics and share now too.

tag my grendel is on the way!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

Im starting to put another grendel build together but I cant decide on what barrel to get. 24" but I cant decide on the manufacturer.

Satern's got a great barrel, if not the best, but the Lothar Walther is almost an equal, plus it is readily available and cheaper. The Walther is suppose to be easier on brass too.

Finally decided.

6.5 Grendel AA GDMR 22" Build is in the works!!

Post pics when I finish!

I'm working on building a 6.5 Grendel (CSS). How did you decide what barrel length would work best? I was leaning to a 24", most ppl seem to be going 18-20. I want the best accuracy I can get and am not worried about the couple extra oz. as I am 6'5'' 285. FYI there is a great deal on SS 25rnd mags, with the good spring @ http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1201. I got a couple for me and my friends that are doing this build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arne Brennan who originally did some of the development and applied the round to the AR lives just down the road from me. I bought an upper from him several years ago and he told me that the original round was designed for a 20" barrel. The .295 neck / 1 degree throat chamber he designed is amazingly accurate.</div></div>
Interesting. Does Bill Alexander own his chamber dimensions, too?

I'd like to try a 6.5 something in the future, but I have no interest in dealing with Alexander Arms' intellectual property BS. Whatever I get, it won't have the name Grendel® in it.

I'm just glad that most wildcatters in the past were generous enough to share their discoveries freely.

Still waiting on Brass and Bullets.

I would actually want to add a better trigger, Rings/Base and scope.

I have used Larue SPR mounts in the past and have had great luck, but I wonder how it would look with this particular set up. I have been using just High Rings on the flat top, but its a toss up on if its going to work with the specific scope or not. I like to have my face as forward as possible on the stock. This is why I think the Magpul PRS is not worth it for me. The cheek piece is too far back.