• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

finally a good day with the savage tube!

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
I have been trying to develop a good short to mid-range load for this barrel. The last time out with my Savage F/tr sporting the factory tube, I had a miserable day. I could not get the Hornady 178gr BTHP to group without a flyer! NO matter what combo I tried I would get a flyer that would ruin the 5 shot group turning if from a .5 MOA group to a 1 MOA group at 100 yards. After weighing and sorting the BTHP I found huge diffrences in weight and base to Ogive numbers. So today I took the old fateful the 168gr Amax and started from scratch. I am more than pleased with the results of my 100 yard testing. All this with no fire forming or depth development these were all 20K off the lands.

I am sure I will get tighter groups with the fire formed brass and after playing with the seating depth.

Ted

Niiiiice:D
What propellant? My Savage 10 is very happy with 43.6grs Varget pushing those 168s, .025 off the lands seems to be the sweet spot

When you're measuring group sizes.........measure from the outside edge of the most distant holes then subtract the bullet diameter.

Much more accurate than trying to place caliper jaws in the "center" of holes....you can also spread the calipers to .308" (or any other caliber) and rezero the display to eliminate the mathwork.

PS: Always sort your bullets first by bearing-surface length. Then take it a step further by weight-sorting the groups that have the same bearing length. Unsorted bullets = flyers

When you're measuring group sizes.........measure from the outside edge of the most distant holes then subtract the bullet diameter.

Much more accurate than trying to place caliper jaws in the "center" of holes....you can also spread the calipers to .308" (or any other caliber) and rezero the display to eliminate the mathwork.

PS: Always sort your bullets first by bearing-surface length. Then take it a step further by weight-sorting the groups that have the same bearing length. Unsorted bullets = flyers

Kill do you sort high end projectiles like Berger or JKM?

Kill do you sort high end projectiles like Berger or JKM?

Yes, my Dasher only gets fed Berger Hybrids, sorted for length and weight and pointed with the Whidden tool. Cases are also sorted by weight (for sequential loading).