• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally bought my first AR

swampbuck

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 11, 2012
Mississippi
Grew up with lots of guns, and have been an active member here speaking on precision and custom bolt guns for a long time. Finally bought my first AR yesterday.

How did I do? What brace/ stock and red dot should I buy for her?

I got the Chocolate flavored one.

Reactions: DustBun and Naaman
I'd say just get out and shoot it, then decide.

If you're registering it, might as well get a real stock. If you want it to be compact, consider the LWRC compact (not necessarily the "ultra compact" aka PDW) stock.

The Maxim PDW stock (not brace) might go well with it, too.

If you want a full sized stock, the B5 sopmod is well liked. BCM sopmod is similar, I think.

If I were in the market for a dot on a 10.3, I'd be looking at EXPS3, MRO HD, or CompM5S. An Aimpoint PRO or basic MRO are much more affordable, if budget is a concern. If compactness is a priority, consider an RMR for your dot.

You might want to consider a trigger upgrade, too. LaRue MBT is well respected. Of course there's Geissele, but those are a little light for my preference (most others love them).

Lastly, if you're considering a suppressor, you'll need a compatible muzzle device. I'm a Surefire kinda guy, but there are lots of choices out there.

Last edited:
DD are very nice rifles. I have an MK18 upper on a lower I put together myself that I like a lot. I'd hold off a little while on the brace/stock, until we get some clarity on the legality of the ATF's recent rule change from the courts. If they somehow reinstate the legality of braces, maybe look at the Tailhook or an SB Tactical brace. If you're going to have to SBR it might as well get a full on stock. I also like the B5 stocks, but there are lots of choices.

As for the red dot - Naaman has some good recommendations. I personally like the Trijicon MRO, but many people do not. The chief problem is that they have a significant parallax problem. I shoot enough and don't really shoot in weird/awkward positions, so it's rare that I don't have the dot pretty much centered in the optic - thereby avoiding any parallax issues. But for many this is a deal breaker. As for MRO HD, don't have any personal experience with one - but I think that's Aimpoint T2 money, so you might as well get the Aimpoint.

Eotech's are also nice, have a great reticle and almost zero parallax. They also work really well if you plan to add a magnifier. However, they have shitty battery life, if that's an issue for you.

I personally have recently purchased a couple of Holosun optics which I have been very happy with. They are an excellent value choice.

Agree on a trigger upgrade. LaRue MBT's represent the best value. Geissele's are currently on sale and are arguably a hair better, but even on sale will be a little more money.

If you are in the market for suppressors, I'm a bid Dead Air fan. But a number of places are blowing out KGM suppressors (KGM used to make some of Dead Air's cans). Personally, I'd snag a KGM R30 or R30T from here and never look back - https://www.bauer-precision.com/suppressors/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=353. Makes more sense than buying a dedicated 5.56 can, because you can probably use the 30 cal. can on most, if not all, of your bolt guns.

DD are very nice rifles. I have an MK18 upper on a lower I put together myself that I like a lot. I'd hold off a little while on the brace/stock, until we get some clarity on the legality of the ATF's recent rule change from the courts. If they somehow reinstate the legality of braces, maybe look at the Tailhook or an SB Tactical brace. If you're going to have to SBR it might as well get a full on stock. I also like the B5 stocks, but there are lots of choices.

As for the red dot - Naaman has some good recommendations. I personally like the Trijicon MRO, but many people do not. The chief problem is that they have a significant parallax problem. I shoot enough and don't really shoot in weird/awkward positions, so it's rare that I don't have the dot pretty much centered in the optic - thereby avoiding any parallax issues. But for many this is a deal breaker. As for MRO HD, don't have any personal experience with one - but I think that's Aimpoint T2 money, so you might as well get the Aimpoint.

Eotech's are also nice, have a great reticle and almost zero parallax. They also work really well if you plan to add a magnifier. However, they have shitty battery life, if that's an issue for you.

I personally have recently purchased a couple of Holosun optics which I have been very happy with. They are an excellent value choice.

Agree on a trigger upgrade. LaRue MBT's represent the best value. Geissele's are currently on sale and are arguably a hair better, but even on sale will be a little more money.

If you are in the market for suppressors, I'm a bid Dead Air fan. But a number of places are blowing out KGM suppressors (KGM used to make some of Dead Air's cans). Personally, I'd snag a KGM R30 or R30T from here and never look back - https://www.bauer-precision.com/suppressors/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=353. Makes more sense than buying a dedicated 5.56 can, because you can probably use the 30 cal. can on most, if not all, of your bolt guns.

Lots of good info there, OP.

FWIW, I also prefer the MRO over the T2. The parallax issue is (I believe) a bit misunderstood. The larger objective on the MRO makes it an apples to oranges comparison.