• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally cured SR-25 Accuracy Problems!

DRAM40A1

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2007
    S E of Dallas,TX.
    I’ve been struggling with finding the right bullet/ powder combination since I received it. Last weekend I loaded 155 AMAX, 155 SMK, 168 AMAX, 168 SMK, 178 AMAX and 175 SMK. Along with all that, I shot factory Hornady 155 Tap and the best I could get was about 1.5 MOA.
    As it turns out, I just needed a little more control of the recoil impulse!
    The MAMS did the trick. Now just about everything I feed it is at or below MOA.

Attachments

• 8E7A98C9-0806-4593-94F6-1E624B4D6403.jpeg
      8E7A98C9-0806-4593-94F6-1E624B4D6403.jpeg
      572.8 KB · Views: 123
    Reactions: RTH1800 and KZP
    I’m running the upper on one of my Mega Maten lowers with a Geissele SSA-E until the LMT MARS-H arrives later this week.

Attachments

• B942CF11-FC6C-4E06-9495-9E2B81487DB1.jpeg
      B942CF11-FC6C-4E06-9495-9E2B81487DB1.jpeg
      724.9 KB · Views: 51
    I guess you could say the accuracy problem was me not controlling the recoil. I think this thing should have been delivered with the MAMS already installed. ?

Those MAMS are incredible! They really soften the recoil up and keep the muzzle flat, but damn are they loud and concussive. I’ve got an NT-4 MAMS on my 14.5 and a 7.62 MAMS for the ACC and I’m constantly impressed with them

Reactions: DRAM40A1
    Perhaps the previous muzzle device was torqued on too tight? Interesting that simply changing the muzzle device made such a difference.

I took a flash hider off and installed a brake. Huge difference in recoil reduction.

No argument on recoil reduction. What I was speculating about was whether the previous muzzle device was torqued on too tightly and having some effect on the barrel. Seems to me that recoil (or lack thereof) on a .308 shouldn't make much difference on precision unless you are shooting fast...which you should not be doing if you are trying to determine ultimate precision of your rig.

To the best of my knowledge, KAC specs 15 to 20 lbs with Rockset. It broke loose fairly easy so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t overly tight.

To the best of my knowledge, KAC specs 15 to 20 lbs with Rockset. It broke loose fairly easy so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t overly tight.

Roger that. If it was a factory installed muzzle device, then zero issue regarding over torquing. Thanks for clarifying.

Roger that. If it was a factory installed muzzle device, then zero issue regarding over torquing. Thanks for clarifying.
    Now you have me paranoid I may have overtightened the MAMS. I selected the washer that aligned the pin as close to 11:00 as possible, then tightened to time at 12:00 with a 10” Crescent wrench.

Now you have me paranoid I may have overtightened the MAMS. I selected the washer that aligned the pin as close to 11:00 as possible, then tightened to time at 12:00 with a 10” Crescent wrench.

How is it shooting? If shooting well, than zero to worry about.

How is it shooting? If shooting well, than zero to worry about.
    I realize but started reading up on over tightened devices after you mentioned it. I’m sure I’m no where near damaging the barrel but with the rockset, it’s pretty permanent at this point. LOL
    I should have used the next thinnest washer to make removing for cleaning easier.

I realize but started reading up on over tightened devices after you mentioned it. I’m sure I’m no where near damaging the barrel but with the rockset, it’s pretty permanent at this point. LOL
    I should have used the next thinnest washer to make removing for cleaning easier.

Tracking. Let the end of your barrel sit in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. You will get that muzzle device off pretty easily.

I just did it last weekend. When my kids walked in and saw my Noveske upper sitting barrel down on the stove in a pot of boiling water, they both looked at me like "Daddy...WTF, over?"

That may well be but I can shoot mine more accurately with the MAMS and less recoil.

If shooting more stationary targets at a distance then the FH is more accurate according to Jack, and I'd trust this information given what he does for a living with KAC and after having a taken a class from him.

That said, I run a MAMS on my ACC because I prefer the trade-off of being able to put more rounds on target at a faster and more consistent rate without giving up much in the way of medium/long range accuracy.