• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Finally found a 6br mag kit that works

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Hello,

I recently got a Badger 2013 rifle chambered in 6 Dasher. Loved the rifle, super accurate but I had issues with reliable feeding as the rounds would nose dive and jam.

Sadly Magpul aics mags worked the most reliably, but it wasn't good. Super frustrated I tried a American rifle company magazine with mk machining improved follower. This was the biggest piece of shit setup ever. Zero reliability, it sucked.

So I researched more and more and found primal rights made an aics 6br/Dasher kit. I found a YouTube with Travis Stevens from TS Customs demoing the magazine kits in a 6br rifle. Travis is a local gunsmith and I've shot a lot of his rifles and they are amazing. Primal rights is also a business pretty close to where I live.

So I happened to run into Travis and chatted him up about what to do. Travis told me to open up the feed lips a little bit and sand with lips with 320 grit sandpaper to make the lips to make them go straight up and down after the lips are opened up. After that he said install the mag kits and go for gold.

So here's what I did. Ordered 3 mag kits from primal rights, they were $45 each, but whatever I just wanted it to work. I ordered three 10 round aics mags. When the mags and mag kits arrived I took the mags apart and opened up the feed lips to .405" along the entire length of the lips. I put a round in the mag to make sure it was centered up in the magazine. I then sanded the lips like Travis told me to. I installed the mag kits, slapped the mags back together, and put ten 6 Dasher rounds in it. Put the mag in my rifle and Bob's your uncle, fed problem free. I reloaded, emptied, started open bolt. Started closed bolt, slow racking the bolt, fast racking the bolt, it all worked. I couldn't induce an issue.

My only complaints was holy shit the springs were tight and getting 10 rounds into them was tough, but I put 10 rounds in them and let them sit for 4 days, problem solved they are much better now. Second minor issue is I had to shorten my COAL a by 15 thou to get them to fit in the mag. My COAL length now is 2.485" and that is as long as I can go without the bullet point ramming into the front of the magazine. I haven't shot the rifle yet because of the snow, but I plan on trying it to see if shortening the round had a negative affect on accuracy. If it did, I might consider making the spacer a little thinner on a belt sander, but I will cross that bridge IF I come to it.

So anyways long story short. Found a mag kit that works and I am relieved. Thanks to primal rights and thanks to Travis for making a solid product.

Here is the link:

Jeremy

Reactions: Boltfluter
pretty well known solution around here for a while.

the magpul AICS mags work well.....until they don't. then it's catastrophic failure time.

lots of issues with ARC mags as far i know

Primal Rights Kit + AICS mag = good to go. a lot of people doing it.

they even work in the MDT 12rd mag with some minor fitting of the follower

Tons of issues with ARC mags.
The AICS mag can be made to work w/o the PR kit. But with the kit they work great.
The MDT mags are beyond impossible as shipped. But with the PR kit (follower has to be modified) they work w/o any modification of the lips. You wouldn’t think that possible when they work so poorly as shipped.
Anyway, this has been my experience.

Same here. after a few tries I got Primal Rights kit for AICS mags and have had no issues at all. This is in a Bighorn TL3 6Dasher in a Manners mini chassis.

I tested all different mags and mag kits in my new 6BR yesterday. Only one that ran 100% without issue was a 10rd AICS with Primal Rights kit.

Received my 5 round kit today. Just a wee bit of fitting was required. Easy peasy!

I tested all different mags and mag kits in my new 6BR yesterday. Only one that ran 100% without issue was a 10rd AICS with Primal Rights kit.

That's what I use but in my Mausingfield, a little lip bending was required, it's fed perfectly afterwards.

Last edited:
I am running modified PR 10 round kits in 12 round MDT mags. I can get 13 rounds of 22 BR in both and they run smooth. Will be shooting my first match with them and the rifle this Saturday.

"Travis told me to open up the feed lips a little bit and sand with lips with 320 grit sandpaper to make the lips to make them go straight up and down after the lips are opened up."
I realize this is an old thread but I am new to using BR sized cartridges with AICS mags so I am curious about the sanding of the mag lips to make them go straight up and down. What is the idea behind this? Also wondering why not have the rear of the lips closer together than the front so the bullet nose is headed toward the chamber rather than the feed ramp?

Thanks,
Stephen

There are probably various ways to get it to work. The idea at the end of the day is to keep the round from nose diving. Giving the round an upward bias prevents this.

I know this is an old thread. Are we talking about AICS pattern mags interchangeably (i.e AI vs Accurate Mags) or exclusively for AI mags? I am asking b/c I have some Accurate mags that I could convert to BR based cartridge with the Primal Rights kit without sacrificing my "good ones" (AI). Thx

I've used primal in accurate mags. They take a bit of tweaking, but do indeed work.

I've had customers return them because of not working, but ensure your mag is the blinder plate version, as described, and you are good to go.

I often just exchange the mag with a new one if it's not dinged or scratched, since I sell both.

Reactions: anginaprinzmetal
Regarding ARC magazines:

First, The ARC magazine was specifically designed for control round feed actions. (Like the Mausingfield which is what it was designed from)

The rub folks have is when they use it in a Push Feed (Remington) style action and assume it is just like any other AI footprint magazine. The issue at hand has to do with the timing of when the cartridge is let go by the feed lips. With a CRF action, this event needs to happen sooner in the stroke so that the cartridge/follower underneath has adequate time to push the loading cartridge past the extractor so that it's adequately engaged by the bolt face. This ensures a line of sight entry into the breach which is critical to any CRF design.

You don't want this with a push feed. In fact, it's quite literally the polar opposite. X10 on one with a short/fat cartridge like the BR, Dasher, etc... The magazine feed lips need to hang onto the case for about as long as they can to ensure that the bullet has entered the breech ring as much as possible. This ensures the funneling effect that promotes reliable loading.

Will they work with push feeds? Absolutely. I've personally done it hundreds of times. Are the rules a little different than your typical AI mag? Yes. Case overlap with the bolt face is more critical. The rule of thumb I use is what I call "the figure 8". Simply to mean that on a .473 case rim you want the primer pocket tangent to the receiver bore on a .700" bolt body. Doing so exposes the rim sufficiently so that feeding takes place without the bolt running over the top of the case mid-stroke and causing the dreaded traffic jam in the magazine well. With most floor metals this means the installed height requires some alteration. A lot of shops struggle with this because inletting a rifle stock isn't exactly the easiest thing to do on manual equipment. Altering something that's already finished is in many cases even more of a headache.

Followers:

It is possible to have issues with the follower. ARC is aware of this and a correction is on the roster of things to do. They are in the process of relocating to a larger building right now so don't expect an easy button answer just yet. I (LRI) have a solution. We make a billet machined 7075 AL follower that solves all the problems. I loath 3D printed parts so ours are machined from bar stock. It sucks having to buy a magazine and then spend more money for it to function reliably, but it's the price you pay for the added capacity and not having it hang below the action like a keel on a sale boat.

Follow these couple steps and the part works like pure magic.

Hope this helps.

C.

Last edited: