• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally found Her - The Swede 96

lt willy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
NJ
I know many of you fellows have spent a lot of time with these great rifles but other than one I shot two decades ago this is my first. Been looking a long time for a really nice one.
Well today I found her, 1920 Gustaf 96. Mint bore wood all metal and all matching.
Thought I would share.

003-15.jpg

005-13.jpg

010-9.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Re: Finally found Her - The Swede 96

They are a great rifle. If you are a reloader look at Reloader 22 and 140 grainers. Seated out just off the lands mine is a tack driver as long as I do my part. Picked mine up before they got so hard to find for $150. Wish I would have picked up another just cause. Nice rifle! Enjoy it. Ryan

Beautiful.
They don't make them like that anymore. And, the 6.5 is incredibly accurate to boot!

Took her to the range today, wonderful.
Two types of ammo, Privi Partizan and Sellior & Beloit

50 yards two five shot groups, seasoned citizen eyes, cheap foreign ammo and iron sights.

005-14.jpg

Three shot 100 yard, mark on the left side is from some fellow next to me blowing up rocks on the range with his Garand

007-10.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lt willy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took her to the range today, wonderful.
Two types of ammo, Privi Partizan and Sellior & Beloit

50 yards two five shot groups, seasoned citizen eyes, cheap foreign ammo and iron sights.

</div></div> beside all above,another no-no it's the type of target:replace it with a simple round bullseye (less than 4 inches if you're at 50 yards,keeping the front post a little bit under it_ if you can afford an adjustable iris google,you'll be very happy with it_enjoy_

wilecoyote talk to me about that.
any experience with a mounting on a Swede?
maker and where to mount on them, I am interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lt willy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wilecoyote talk to me about that.
any experience with a mounting on a Swede?
maker and where to mount on them, I am interested. </div></div>if you mean mounting a scope on it,my answer is no_ I'm mainly interested on German Mausers,and I have dared talk about your Swede experience only because their iron sighting system is more or less alike,even if a well conducted Swede outperform without any doubt the precision(?)of the K98k_ My talking was about using real shooting googles,without lenses,but with a adjustable iris (diopter-like)on the dominant eye only_ learned that from Germans,shootin' plain iron-sighted K98Ks_(work well,even at 55yrs.)_

OK, understood. I am looking to put an aperture rear sight on the Swede, either on the original rear sight area or on the reciever (which is what I prefer) but do not want to alter the weapon in any way as she is a mint firearm.
Anyone here done that with a Swede 96?

I think the only way to have an unaltered CG with aperture rear sight can be searching about the original competition versions_ those vintage jewels not selled very well in Italy because their price was one third higher than the others contemporary CG and their aperture sight,following our competition rules,placed them on the same class of vintage (real) sniper rifles_ it's a heavy-barreled rifle,and I think must shoot like a dream,anyway_

There were several diopter sights that were used on the Swedish Mausers for their FSR shooting, as well as civilian competition within Sweden. Here is a pic of my favorite Swede. 1902 Carl Gustafs. This had been rebarreled at Norma, for Swedish Military FSR shooting, sometime in the '30's. A swedish armorer drilled and tapped this for the Pramm site, as far as recommending someone to do this, I have no idea.

smallPicture27.jpg

smallPicture024.jpg

smallPicture048.jpg

smallPicture025.jpg

smallIMAG0017.jpg

The models were the Pramm, Elit Edstrom, GF, Faldt, Busk, Hellqvist and others. I have searched the interweb near and far for information on the subject and have come up with a bunch of docs that I will try to track down on my vast collection of external hard drives and post them up here.

If your lucky enough to find a Swede that is drilled and tapped, and not by some redneck selling them at gun shows, it can be difficult to find out what pattern they are. It seems that all the spacing/patterns were different from diopter to diopter.

I really suggest searching this site , as there is everything you need to know about the swedish mauser, and if you can not find it, you can ask for a link or just pose the question. Be polite, and try to search for it first, because theses guys are hardcore "collectors" and DO NOT SUGGEST MODIFYING YOUR RIFLE FOR MODERN DIOPTERS, because these guys will freak out. It would be the equivalent of saying I have a real M40 from Vietnam, and want to take off the redfield scope and drill and tap the barrel for a scout scope. the sky would fall.

Don't remember who makes it but there is a rear sight replacement that lets you put in an aperture sight. It just replaces the rear sight and alters nothing permanently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TGagnon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't remember who makes it but there is a rear sight replacement that lets you put in an aperture sight. It just replaces the rear sight and alters nothing permanently.</div></div>

Are you referring to this?
http://www.mojosights.com/index.html

I replaced the sights on my M48 (Yugo 98), front and rear, with Mojo sights and like them very much.

I may put the front blade sight back on but there is no going back to that open rear sight. The Mojo is a simple replacement for rear sight and while better, is nothing like the diopter or peep sights on the M1s, M1 carbines, or the Lyman or Williams receiver sights I put on my lever guns.

That said, while the sight radius is the same when using the Mojo sight, the focus is much improved.

That's incredible. Nice rifle!

I can't think of the company in Florida that imports these but they have a bunch with phenomenal prices!!

From what you guys have seen, who makes the best "Scout" scope base to mount a LER scope on her. My old eye's will not do her justice.
Saw one type but it sits to high to me. I also do not want to modify any of the original equipment to mount it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lt willy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what you guys have seen, who makes the best "Scout" scope base to mount a LER scope on her. My old eye's will not do her justice.
Saw one type but it sits to high to me. I also do not want to modify any of the original equipment to mount it. </div></div>tried weaver scout base on K98s: unsatisfactory compromise under all point of wiews, and the choice of related long eye relief scopes is unsatisfactory too_ money wasted,in my experience_
frown.gif

great to see you guys hoppin on the 6.5x55 m96 bandwagon.
here is my m96 which i have had since 1984. it usually holds around .7 at just about any range you want to shoot with a load of 48.0 grains of imr 4831 and hornady 140 gr. amax.
it has taken about 6 whitetails in wva too.

IMG_0012.jpg

Savage you ended up having her drilled and tapped correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't think of the company in Florida that imports these but they have a bunch with phenomenal prices!! </div></div>

SAMCO Global

I think this is company you're referring to but I think their Swedish Mauser supply is nearing an end. Not much left for M96's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slakline</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't think of the company in Florida that imports these but they have a bunch with phenomenal prices!! </div></div>

SAMCO Global

I think this is company you're referring to but I think their Swedish Mauser supply is nearing an end. Not much left for M96's. </div></div>

Yup, the days of cheap M96s in this country are over. Allan's Armory, also in Florida, used to deal in a lot of Swedish Mausers but he currently offers none on his website. I have a M96 and would love to get a M38, the M96 is easily my favorite foreign mil-surp.

I purchased a model 38/96 Swedish Mauser about a dozen years ago. I recently purchased and installed an Accumount to my rifle with no gunsmithing required. I then installed a Leupold 2X EER scope. $85 shipped also available for the 96.

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/

It does a good job, but i have only shoot cast bullets with this setup but do manage to hit the 12" square plates at 240 or so yards.

I put Mojo front and rear sights on my Steyr Model 1912 Chilean Mauser in 7.62x51, and although they aren't equivalent to Williams target sights, but they are much easier for me to use and pulled my groups much tighter together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slakline</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't think of the company in Florida that imports these but they have a bunch with phenomenal prices!! </div></div>

SAMCO Global

I think this is company you're referring to but I think their Swedish Mauser supply is nearing an end. Not much left for M96's. </div></div>

YUCK! Avoid Samco like the plague. Expect 6+ month wait for shipping and horrible customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slakline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ArcticLight said:
</div></div>

YUCK! Avoid Samco like the plague. Expect 6+ month wait for shipping and horrible customer service. </div></div>

LOL, the only time I ordered from Samco I waited over a month for a Yugo M24/47. After a few weeks I called to see what the problem was, the lady I talked to could barely speak English. In fairness to Samco, the rifle I received was in excellent condition and was worth the wait.