• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally found some SR primers!!!

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I got my .223 Ackly build back from AJ Brown recently and I've been burning up 1000 205M primers that MBandy13 was nice enough to share with me and I've been searching high and low for more. I set up my table at the gun show today and a friend stopped by to tell me that one of the vendors had Wolf small rifle primers in stock. I asked him to go grab some for me and I ended up getting 4000 for $120.

I did a search and it doesn't look like too many are using these but the few who are have had good results with them. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they work well.

Re: Finally found some SR primers!!!

I hope they work out well for you. I'm planning on running them in my 223 ackley when its done. Of course, I didn't pay nearly that much for them but these days I'd considser it.
wink.gif

Hell, some of the SR primers I saw today were going for $50-$65 per thousand. I thought I did ok but I've never priced the Wolf either.

I did read on the net somewhere that the wolf primers had a larger od and that once you use them in your brass you may not be able to go back to some of the other primers that are smaller in diameter.

Good luck,
John

The fact that you now possess some means you did ok. The last ones I bought were $90 per 5k plus hazmat and shipping so maybe $120 total. Bear in mind that was a couple months ago when prices were low and items were plentiful, November IIRC.

Wolf standard SR are not the same as the magnum, both in cup material and in compound. Using Wolf will NOT affect your primer pockets. Use magnum whenever possible, but standard will work ok with stick but can be finicky with ball.

John

I have been using Wolf mag primers with .223/69SMK loads in my SPS for a couple months now. I bought 5k before the election figuring a shortage was coming.
They are a little larger diameter than regular primers, but no problems thus far. Accuracy is fine also.
Only regret I have is that I did not buy more of them. CCI BR and Fed match primers are on hand here as well, but I cannot tell they are a bit more consistent than the Wolf in the testing I have done with this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf standard SR are not the same as the magnum, both in cup material and in compound. Using Wolf will NOT affect your primer pockets. Use magnum whenever possible, but standard will work ok with stick but can be finicky with ball.

John
</div></div>

Wolf standard and magnum primers are supposed to have the same primer mix in both. The difference is the standard cups are made of copper and the magnum cups are made of brass so the magnum primers will handle higher pressures better.

Use them and prosper! I have had very ggod luck with Wolf primers ( SR LR and LP). I have ONLY used the magnums for all loads.

The local cabelas got in a small batch of primers yesterday. I picked up 3k 205m's for just under $35 per thousand. Had to arm wrestle the last brick out of my neighbors hands!

I have found the Wolf's LRP's to be no different than Fed210M, or CI BR2's.................maybe better, exceopt for over diameter cup, is a bitch.

I think you got the last of available primers in the U.S. I Spent last two days making phone calls. Nothing! Went to local Cabela's they at least took my order and quoted me possible delivery toward the end of May, I'm not holding my breath. Things are starting to look ugly.

I've been looking at sportsmans outlet and Scheels and haven't had jack for luck getting any powder or small rifle primers for .223 anyone out there consider trading some of those for .223 LC brass? I've got lots

Guys dar posted a thread and I ordered a 5K box of BR4's. Their website showed them in stock, I'm hoping it was correct. Might be worth a try...

LINK