• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally got a chance to get my project Mosin to the range...

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
$100 Cabela's special 91/30, Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock, Timney trigger, Smith Sights modded front sight

I inletted the stock for the Timney (and recently got REALLY pissed off when I discovered that Boyd's now offers this as a no-cost option), and performed a one cheek (read: half ass) bedding job. In order to free float the barrel, I had to make a spacer to go under the recoil lug.

Anyhow, the bore, when I bought it, was fairly dark but had pretty good rifling. I can't even describe how many hours I spent cleaning that bore... but I finally got it to where the pitting is pretty well cleaned out in the grooves, and the lands are clean enough to see the drill/machine marks on them.

Given that the barrel is free floated (which I understand could be an issue), and that I hadn't fired it after doing ANY of the work to it, I didn't know what to expect. At the 50 yard line (I know, I know...), after I figured out where it was hitting and the bore had a few rounds through it, I was able to put up a ~1" group with off-the-shelf Prvi 150gr SP. I only ran 16 rounds through it (over the course of 20-30 minutes) before the barrel was hot to the point where I figured that I ought to let it cool down and put it away.

During the outing, I discovered that the green fiber optic sight that I had installed isn't the best solution for my eyes, so it's entirely possible that the group could have been smaller if I had been able to consistently see the front sight. Also, it has been a number of years since I shot open sights on a rifle, and I gotta be honest... 50 yards didn't used to be that far away as far as my eyes were concerned.

To make a short story long, I am hoping that swapping out the front sight will enable me to see it better... I'd like to get to a 1 inch group at 100 yards using the Prvi ammo, then begin development on a load of my own.

Hello,

2MOA isn't bad with one of those -- it's great, in fact!

I don't know who you are from your username, but if you'd email me, I'd like you to try a couple different posts. They're on me. I just need to know who you are so I can send them out Monday.

Regards,

Josh

Front sight

Hello,

2MOA isn't bad with one of those -- it's great, in fact!

I don't know who you are from your username, but if you'd email me, I'd like you to try a couple different posts. They're on me. I just need to know who you are so I can send them out Monday.

Regards,

Josh

Josh,

I visited your website and I'm going to order a new front sight for my mosin. Any advice on how to get a sticky fron sight post off without damaging the mount?

Thanks

Hello,

I like to use a pointed punch. Those front sights are HARD, and there is usually just a little dimple after pounding it off.

Some sights do come off easier than others, but all come off. If you need to, soak in Breakfree or Fluid Film overnight.

After you break the dried cosmoline and whatever else is holding the sight, I really recommend you get yourself a sight tool from elby.yolasite.com . They're not meant to break the sights free (though I have used my Gunsmith Model for this purpose and it did work well), but will certainly aid in future adjustment and any removal you wish to do.

Regards,

Josh