• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally Got A Garand

Highground

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Michigan
For years I have been kicking around the idea of buying a Garand, but kept putting it off. A relative passed away recently who had an extensive gun collection(quite a story in itself...more on that on a later date) I was given an oppourtunity to pick two of the guns for next to nothing. Out of close to 160 guns, I picked a sweet early Ruger No.1 in 243 Win (a non-prefix serial numbered one from 1968) and a Garand (Winchester receiver-Springfield everything else).

Just wanted to share.

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

Re: Finally Got A Garand

Very nice! I would love to have one also and wish I could could get one via the CMP.

After playing with aluminum, fiberglass, polymer, and other contemporary gun materials as of late, its been nice handling real wood and steel.

Very nice. Two of my favorite rifles. My father in Law just aquired a Garand last year, and I have been fortunate enough to shoot it..Love them rifles. he also has a Ruger #1 in 220 swift that I adore. Very Nice Rifles.

hope to see them at the range one day. Bring that Garand, I will bring a Swedish Mauser, and we can have a battle royal of 20th century rifles. lol.

lol, we got one in as a ffl transfer the other day @ the shop and, the trigger guard no-latchy and just popped open at random times. I hope the buyer new before he bought it and had it shipped to us.

I'm not a collector, and only have one of any particular rifle design. Except in rare situations (like my Wife's Grandfather's S/G), I don't have firearms for sentimental reasons anymore, it's a luxury I can't honestly afford. I only keep rifles I shoot, and I make a point of maintaining a modest stock of ammo for each.

My Sept 1941 prewar 5-digit serialed SA Garand with a 1953 Win barrel is at the very core of the rifles I will die owning. I glassbedded it, added NM sights, and refinished the stock with Tru-Oil so it looks like it was dipped in glass.

My AR and M1A have come and gone, but my Garand is forever. It deserves such admiration. It's that most excellent implement that saved the English speaking world.

Greg

Not the most accurate rifle in the safe, but my favorite to shoot. Just something about the feel, look, balance and caliber of the M1 that makes it special.

My dad gave me his bayonet that is pictured with the rifle when I was a kid, and I have waited for 25 years to finally get a rifle to mount it on.

I am interested in getting a correct WWII era sling for it. Does anyone know if those would have been the green canvas type or leather? Or did they use both during the war?

You might s**t yourselves if you knew some of the other guns in the collection I passed on to get this Garand!

A beautiful original Winchester 1873 (2nd model) for one.

I finally picked up my first garand last year. I had wanted one for years I try to shoot it every week. This one will also be my grandsons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might s**t yourselves if you knew some of the other guns in the collection I passed on to get this Garand!

A beautiful original Winchester 1873 (2nd model) for one. </div></div>

I might, but that doesn't mean you aren't in all likelihood a decent Joe who deserves the good turn you've recieved. Congratulations.

An M1 or two is on my long term list as well.

Someday I hope.

I just put this back together last night. I got it for $200. I had to rebarrel it because you could drop a bullet through the bore. All the other parts are like new. Now it has a brand new barrel and I can't wait to shoot it.

Garand.jpg

I love Garands. Without a doubt, one of my favorite rifles of all time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in getting a correct WWII era sling for it. Does anyone know if those would have been the green canvas type or leather? Or did they use both during the war? </div></div>

The leather M1907 would be correct and would be your best choice. The M1907 mfg during WW2 had black parkerized steel frogs, the pre-WW2 version had blackened brass frogs (many marked by maker and 1918). Either is correct for a WW2 garand as both types were issued by the thousands.

In early 1942 the web cotton khaki and later olive drab M1 (no relation to name of weapon) slings were made as a war time expedient substitute (cheaper) for the M1907. For a late War garand this would also be correct... a varient of the M1 sling is still issued today.

Shoot'in soldiers (Infantry) didn't like the web slings much... while the M1907 was designed for carrying a weapon <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> as a shooting aid, the web sling was meant as just a carry strap... too much stretch, too narrow and not near as good as a shooting aid.

"the greatest battle implement every devised"

Nice rifle

My uncle carried one in Korea, shot THROUGH trees, brick, mortar killed several enemy. 30-06, what can you say.

"if it bleeds, I can kill it". was his motto.

I beleived him.

I think we were "tougher" back then.
hand one of these to a new recruit class and see what happens.

BTW... the receiver serial number dates the mfg of your Winchester to December, 1941.

Some history in that rifle... if only it could talk, the stories it might tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW... the receiver serial number dates the mfg of your Winchester to December, 1941.

Some history in that rifle... if only it could talk, the stories it might tell. </div></div>

I wish I could find out an actual day of production for a given serial # (as in relative to Dec. 7th, 1941)

Winchester's December 1941 Garand production serial numbers- approximate

Start - December 1, 1941 - 131131
End - December 31, 1941 - 137960

My pure guesstimate would be around Christmas 1941 +/- a few days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Winchester's December 1941 Garand production serial numbers- approximate

Start - December 1, 1941 - 131131
End - December 31, 1941 - 137960

My pure guesstimate would be around Christmas 1941 +/- a few days </div></div>

Interesting......thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in getting a correct WWII era sling for it. Does anyone know if those would have been the green canvas type or leather? Or did they use both during the war? </div></div>

The leather M1907 would be correct and would be your best choice. The M1907 mfg during WW2 had black parkerized steel frogs, the pre-WW2 version had blackened brass frogs (many marked by maker and 1918). Either is correct for a WW2 garand as both types were issued by the thousands.

Is that M1907 leather sling the light tan color or would it be a darker brown? I think I have seen pics of both colors, but was not sure if they were originals or replicas.

In early 1942 the web cotton khaki and later olive drab M1 (no relation to name of weapon) slings were made as a war time expedient substitute (cheaper) for the M1907. For a late War garand this would also be correct... a varient of the M1 sling is still issued today.

Shoot'in soldiers (Infantry) didn't like the web slings much... while the M1907 was designed for carrying a weapon <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> as a shooting aid, the web sling was meant as just a carry strap... too much stretch, too narrow and not near as good as a shooting aid. </div></div>

CMP is a great way to get a garand: I have several great shooting M!'s from them. I did get a rack grade and rebarrel it to 7.62. Guys: It may not shoot like a Rem 700 but it is sure close out to 300! My win is a 126,000 serial number. Orion 7 said not to shoot it as it is a collector because of the 6 digit #. Can't help it I shoot it all of the time. Shoot Marine Corps League matches with it. BTW. Vets do not have to shoot a match to qualify for the CMP buy. Your DD214 and Vet org card will do it. Simple and cost effective. M-1's start at $950. in NY. CMP Service Grade is now 595. Truthfully other than the wood my field grades measure out as well as my service grades as far a MW and TE. Buy them befor the Bama has'm cut up!