• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally got my R700 "VTR" to shoot well

dspjaggar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2018
29 palms ca
had this VTR since they originally came out so a long time, and it never shot. tried everything i could think of, i finally put a new barrel on it and Im super stoked to be done with the original.

26 inch 1:10 twist carbon six barrel
carbon six brake
jewel trigger
floated and bedded
vortex diamondback tactical in vortex pro low rings

i had an old shitty sight mark scope on it that broke last year and decided the rifle was only worth putting on the diamond back tactical but now with the new barrel i may have to upgrade glass again.

also looking at putting a wood stock on it, anyone have experience with the stockys monte carlo? looks like it could be the ticket. https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...lnut-stocks/stocky-sr-monte-carlo-deluxe.html

i wanted to keep the round count low on this and use it for a hunting only rifle, but im falling in love with the way it shoots

20200527_195227.jpg

did the break in with mil 7.62 ammo so I could get a rough zero before i did a ladder test with some hand loads i was testing from the old barrel. I measured the lands on the new barrel and re seated them .030 off. was pretty impressed with the group with that ammo.
here is a group with the 7.62 ammo was really surprised with how well it shot that ammo
20200606_082505.jpg

started the ladder test aiming at the top left aim point and ended up where my finger was 2 inches lower, was really surprised at the POI shift being that dramatic.

shooting order was
middle left
middle
bottom left
bottom right (heavy bolt lift started here)
top left
top right

.3 grain intervals, going to load some more of the first 3 groups and try to go down .6 as well. think i got lucky and found the upper node pretty quick.
20200606_103536.jpg

Reactions: Bakwa
Have you thought about a hs precision take off. You can pick them up for about half of the laminate your looking at. Glad you resurrected the ol girl.

im really wanting the classic wood look i was scoping out some custom stock builders and may end up getting one made, but i do like the bedding block that the stockys wood stocks offer though. looking for something that looks similar to the some of todd ramirez' builds without the 10k price tag.

im really wanting the classic wood look i was scoping out some custom stock builders and may end up getting one made, but i do like the bedding block that the stockys wood stocks offer though. looking for something that looks similar to the some of todd ramirez' builds without the 10k price tag.
I assumed that it was a laminate stock but I just looked and it’s solid. I can definitely understand what you see in it. Solid wood with aluminum bedding block for $400, you can’t beat that with a stick. The only problem I see is it’ll be to pretty to take out and shoot.

Reactions: dspjaggar
I assumed that it was a laminate stock but I just looked and it’s solid. I can definitely understand what you see in it. Solid wood with aluminum bedding block for $400, you can’t beat that with a stick. The only problem I see is it’ll be to pretty to take out and shoot.

that will help me keep the round count down bc im already in love with this thing and once im done with load dev im sure it will make me like it more.

but ill def still take it out, i surprise people when they see how i use my other nice rifle. the desert can be harsh on equipment but i bought it to shoot not stare at.

I had one of those VTR rifles a long long time ago. I felt for their triangular barrel schtick. The damn thing wouldn’t shoot, and finally an old timer at the range helped me yank the BA out of that POS stock and it wasn’t free floated at all; it had these sort of “bunny ears” that contacted the barrel at several spots in the channel.

A little field fix some tools (dremel and utility knives) and we got those ears shaved off and got the barrel fully floated; the damn thing shot amazingly after that.

I had one of those VTR rifles a long long time ago. I felt for their triangular barrel schtick. The damn thing wouldn’t shoot, and finally an old timer at the range helped me yank the BA out of that POS stock and it wasn’t free floated at all; it had these sort of “bunny ears” that contacted the barrel at several spots in the channel.

A little field fix some tools (dremel and utility knives) and we got those ears shaved off and got the barrel fully floated; the damn thing shot amazingly after that.

I wish this one was that easy. Glad you were able to get it to shoot. I did all of that years ago to no avail. Would shoot almost moa at best. Usually 1.5 to 2 moa, its def floated.

Attachments

• 20200521_184215.jpg
    20200521_184215.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 46
So this build has come along some more, I was asking to see floor plates that had been engraved and Mike from tac ops offered to help me out for free in the thread below.

Blew me away with how generous he was. Mike ended up giving me a bottom metal that was in far better condition along with some tac ops goodies.

Also got a leupold from the bass pro deal that we all capitalized on.

Just ordered a solid walnut stock from stockys and I'm almost on the fence with it, because this thing looks great.

Thank you so much @MikeRTacOps

Attachments

• 20200717_182131.jpg
    20200717_182131.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200717_180820.jpg
    20200717_180820.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: JeffLebowski
New barrel = not VTR...

glad you had a base to build something you like.

Like most people, I knew several people that had them... None of them shot well. Even a couple of shops I do that sold them would tell people... You don't want to get that.... people would still buy them

The vtr was a jk In the thread title, I ll have to put it in quotes to make it more apparent lol

Finally finished this build off. Got a monte carlo stock from stockys and had to immediately modify the bedding block to fit an oversized recoil lug and had to take out a shit ton of the barrel channel to even start to fit the barrel, floated the barrel and it shoots pretty good. 5 round group with the first 3 being like .25 almost wished I stopped at 3 shots

Super stoked at how nice this thing turned out

Looked for a long time for reviews or any feedback on the stockys wood stocks with the bedding blocks and although it was a lot of work to get it to work right I'm happy with it so far. Hope this helps someone else in the future make a decision.

20200725_154826.jpg
20200725_154852.jpg
20200725_154901.jpg
20200725_155008.jpg
20200726_072447.jpg
20200726_070223.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking rifle and decent group. There’s always a flyer or something to mess up a one hole group. I’ve had to fiddle with fitting a stock and it’s a pain. I just buy take off HS precision stocks now. They’re usually about $200 on eBay and are great stocks. Enjoy your tac driver👍

Fitting was a pain in the ass and enjoyable at the same time. Good learning experience as I had never done it before. But now at least I know I can