• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally got my rifle, 700 SPS, rookie question..

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
700 SPS Varmint .308 with the 26" HB.

I had looked long and hard at the 700 and teh Tikka T3 Lite, and was leaning towards the T3, since I had heard so many good things about it. However, reason I went 700 is #1, parts availability and #2, better deal. To me, teh 700 is like the 69 Camaro, everyone has one, and everyone has parts for it. NORMALLY, not a follow type of guy, I like to be different, and that is why I almost did NOT buy it, just for that fact. But, after looking at how closely these guns (T3 and 700) are, I was going T3 to be different. So, I looked at $$$$ next, and fact is, the 700 was only $40 more then the T3 AND the 700 has teh heavy barrel on it already, and THAT is what sold me on the 700 over teh T3.
I have been lurking on here for a few weeks now, asked some quesions, etc..and gotten ALOT of help through PM's, and most of my questions have been answered, but still have a couple/few more..
Magazine, or lack of one I should say. How can I go about adding a detachebale magazine to my 700?

Re: Finally got my rifle, 700 SPS, rookie question

+1 to Elxx's post.

I believe HS and Badger make them as well, but they will still cost you a pretty penny.

And it's spelled "the"
wink.gif

If you look at the cost of bottom metal its gonna run you any where from $250-$450. Also factor in if your gonna get a custom stock. Non-Adjustable around $550. Adjustable around $750. My solution to replacing my cheapo crappy Hogue stock on my SPS Tactical was a McRee stock. McMillan's and Manner's are gonna need bedding from a smith. A McRee is essentially a drop in stock. The stock also has bottom metal, its a folder, and is fully adjustable. For a price of $750. Here's the link mcreeprecision.net ADT

+1 on the mcree. there's a write up review on here somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it's spelled "the"
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thanks...I am a BAD typist, and for some reason, "the" comes out "teh" more times than not. So, instead of ALWAYS go back and change it, I leave it. Figure MOST people would know I can spell "the", LOL!!!

Re: Finally got my rifle, 700 SPS, rookie question..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would need to install something like this

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26742/Product/REMINGTON_700_BOTTOM_METAL_ASSEMBLY

All brands that make the bottom metal are priced fairly evenly.

Actually, what I would do is just replace the stock you have with a custom one that has the bottom metal already in the price.

</div></div>

First of all, sorry for taking so long to get back to my thread guys.

OK, thanks for link and info. I went to go break in teh rifle yesterday, and of course RAINED!!!
So, going to get it done today..weather is BEAUTIFUL here, 40's this AM, clear skies, supposed to warm up to the upper 50's this afternoon!!! Little breezy this AM, but since I am breakin her in and don't have a scope yet, guess no worries huh?? LOL!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you look at the cost of bottom metal its gonna run you any where from $250-$450. Also factor in if your gonna get a custom stock. Non-Adjustable around $550. Adjustable around $750. My solution to replacing my cheapo crappy Hogue stock on my SPS Tactical was a McRee stock. McMillan's and Manner's are gonna need bedding from a smith. A McRee is essentially a drop in stock. The stock also has bottom metal, its a folder, and is fully adjustable. For a price of $750. Here's the link mcreeprecision.net ADT </div></div>

I will PROBALY keep teh stock "stock". I basically want to keep this rifle as simple as I can, without gettting to carried away. MAYBE one day I will change out teh stock, but not right now or the foreseeable future. A handgun (1911) is next, then 12 gauge, then AR, THEN a nice custom build rifle.
I picked up this 700 for simple reasons..to go hun the occassional deer, and to do alot of range shooting to get back into rifle's. Since it has teh HB already, only thing I want to add at this time (aside from a nice base/ring/scope combo) is teh detacheable mag. Maybe a year or 2 down teh road, I change my mind...but right now, just the mag will suffice. Thanks though!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daguyfromlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the mcree. there's a write up review on here somewhere. </div></div>

OK, thanks.

I started with this same set up. I have to agree that the stock is less than desireable and for about $225 you can get a Bell and Carlson with an aluminum bedding block. From there, you can use the Wyatt Detachable magazine system with no modifications to the stock. I personally think you made a good choice starting out. I have been nothing but happy with mine.

Well, good read so far....was able to find a setup with mag for under $300. Will keep reading up before I make my final decision, but that seems to be a really good deal, and is gonna be hard to beat...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JML403</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to own a 69 Camaro. </div></div>

Ahhhhh, not sure about me. I mean, would it be nice to own one? Sure. But I would buy other cars on my list BEFORE I got to the 69 though. Just TOO MANY of them out there. I like different. Not saying you have to be an oddball, but get away from the "norm".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with this same set up. I have to agree that the stock is less than desireable and for about $225 you can get a Bell and Carlson with an aluminum bedding block. From there, you can use the Wyatt Detachable magazine system with no modifications to the stock. I personally think you made a good choice starting out. I have been nothing but happy with mine.

</div></div>

Yeah, again, maybe one day I will go with a different stock, but I just don't see the point right now. WHY spend teh extra money when i don't have to? Granted I don't HAVE to spend money on a detacheable mag either, but to me, the mag is ALMOST a necessity. The "stock" stock I can live with. Just would rather spend my money on something else at the moment...